Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz 907 refill - UK price rip-off!

rod_vw

rod_vw

Gone bigger.
VIP Member
Vehicle
Motorhome
Just a tip for anyone needing a refill and travelling to France.

Leroy Merlin stores will exchange ('recharge' is the correct word to explain what you want) a Campingaz 907 cylinder for €18.85 (less than £14 at present rates) which is less than half what 'rip-off' British stores want for the same thing.

The Leroy Merlin price quoted above is what we paid on June 3rd at their store near the Chanel Tunnel at Calais.
DSCN1494_06-04-15_007 small.JPG
Happy holidays,

Rod

Our local BP garage charges just £18 per refill. If you buy on a campsite in the UK it can be double that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I paid £25 on a campsite a few weeks ago - I wasn't too upset to be honest - if it means I can run out of gaz mid-meal - walk over to the shop - get a refill and carry on with the meal, then that saves me carrying a spare for such "emergencies" then I figure paying the extra money is worth it.

Also it lasts ages - 1 bottle lasts more than a season for us.

This is weird behavior for me - as I can't stand getting the best price for diesel!!!

P.S. Love the way the French still cling onto the Franc on all their receipts :)

You won't find us clinging on to old units of measure!!!

Just a tip for anyone needing a refill and travelling to France.

Leroy Merlin stores will exchange ('recharge' is the correct word to explain what you want) a Campingaz 907 cylinder for €18.85 (less than £14 at present rates) which is less than half what 'rip-off' British stores want for the same thing.

The Leroy Merlin price quoted above is what we paid on June 3rd at their store near the Chanel Tunnel at Calais.
View attachment 8908
Happy holidays,

Rod

Another tip, don't leave your tailgate open for long at Calais. :eek:

Friend of ours fills his own up from a large Calor bottle using an adaptor which I understand is available from eBay. Not recommended though :Nailbiting

Our gas bottle has lasted ages, as the gas doesn't do much (unlike our earlier motorhomes which had gas heating and hot water).

An old thread but take your refill to Go Outdoors and ask them to price match Chorley Gas Bottle website refill price. Works every time! £25. I do use Chorley for new 907s but they won't deliver to us Southerners for a refill so hence the Go Outdoors routine.

I tried exchanging a 907 at a large French DIY a couple of weeks ago and was rejected on the basis that they only take French language bottles back, and mine with “UK Gas” branding and all warnings in English was a bit too much “Les Rosbifs” for their liking

I give it 10 minutes until the "you spent £60k on a van and you are worried about saving a fiver' brigade arrive in an attempt to shut down the thread.
Me? I love a bargain so keep them coming.

Average UK price seems to be circa £35 for a refill. People don't mind paying a fair price for things but the price of a refill seems disproportionate to a new one in my opinion.

I tried exchanging a 907 at a large French DIY a couple of weeks ago and was rejected on the basis that they only take French language bottles back, and mine with “UK Gas” branding and all warnings in English was a bit too much “Les Rosbifs” for their liking
No problem in Leclerc or Super U stores with UK Gaz bottles. about 20 Euros.

€25 on our French campsite. As above I ran out mid meal. Seemed reasonable and sparkly fresh new one. I have 2 bottles one of which I use on a Cadac to cook outside. I had swapped a newer one into the van before we left so had planned to pick up a new one over there. Probably could have saved a few more Euro but that was close enough.

Same amount of butane in a calor gas Uk cylinder costs around £4

Same amount of butane in a calor gas Uk cylinder costs around £4
So a respectable profit can be made by offering DIY refills from a garden shed. Sell ten a day at £15 and you have a nice tax-free income. Someone ten doors uphill from me does just this. If ever I hear a loud explosion with limbs tumbling into my back garden I’ll immediately know the cause.

So a respectable profit can be made by offering DIY refills from a garden shed. Sell ten a day at £15 and you have a nice tax-free income. Someone ten doors uphill from me does just this. If ever I hear a loud explosion with limbs tumbling into my back garden I’ll immediately know the cause.
Dangerous to put it mildly.... Probably 100% illegal too...

Dont ever buy from camping shops or campsites, we purchase ours from petrol stations, even one in Cornwall ( I think it was BP) only charged us £19.80 for a 907 refill.

You own the 907 and there’s nothing illegal or particularly dangerous about it if you’re competent and occasionally get a new one to benefit from a fresh valve: I refilled 2 with 2.5kg LPG at a cost of £3.70 each (but I’m not going to make a business out if it like @Amarillo suggests). For me it wasn’t just the disproportionate cost, it removes the worry of running out on a trip as I can always go away full. <gets popcorn>958F20C3-1E91-4F18-854D-37A9D3ECD5AD.jpeg

Last edited:
You own the 907 and there’s nothing illegal or particularly dangerous about it if you’re competent and occasionally get a new one to benefit from a fresh valve: I refilled 2 with 2.5kg LPG (from a donor cylinder that I’ve been refilling with LPG for >12 years) at a cost of £3.70 each (but I’m not going to make a business out if it like @Amarillo suggests). For me it wasn’t just the disproportionate cost, it removes the worry of running out on a trip as I can always go away full. <hides>View attachment 49179
I’m sorry to tell you this but it IS illegal for the public to refill gas cylinders that were designed to be refilled professionally...You can actually invalidate your insurance at home and on your van if it has been found that you have refilled them yourself as you show in the picture...As you know any gas cylinder is only designed to have a certain amount of gas and not actually full to the top to allow for expansion.... It would be very difficult to prove that you filled them correctly if something went horribly wrong....It’s just not worth the risk to save a few quid.....If I was you I would delete your post....

If ever I hear a loud explosion with limbs tumbling into my back garden I’ll immediately know the cause.

The use of butane gas in the manufacture of cannabis oil will be the most likely cause of that!