Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling fresh water tank

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just come back from a weekend in the lakes and we have been vomiting and had the squits for most of the day, the only thing we can put this down to is the vans water system.We currently fill up via the garden hose but having read further on this garden hoses can contain all manner of bacteria especially in warmer weather.

Am I best of drinking bottles water in future?

Just come back from a weekend in the lakes and we have been vomiting and had the squits for most of the day, the only thing we can put this down to is the vans water system.We currently fill up via the garden hose but having read further on this garden hoses can contain all manner of bacteria especially in warmer weather.

Very unlikely. When did the symptoms start in relation to when you drank water from the tank without boiling it?

Remember the household water supply is filtered and contains sterilising agents. The likelihood of that being the source is infinitesimal, unless you habitually dip your hose in a septic tank.

I'd never drink out of the van water regardless of Miltonising it or being super careful. Use it for washing hands but not much else. Faff filling the thing anyway.

It's so much easier just to use two 2 litre plastic bottles and refill these from the campsite water supply. We use carbonated water bottles from the supermarket as good and strong and just change every few days.

Having said that you could have got a bug from anywhere on a campsite or home or whatever...

If you flush plenty of fresh water through the hose before you fill the tank an ordinary hose should, in my opinion be fine.

In my van theres far more risk from a dodgy BBQ or an iffy pint from the nearest pub.

And the difference between a plastic bottle and a plastic tank is?

Not nice.
I either use a collapsible bucket and funnel or a water quality hose (coz I dont want all the plasticisers they use for non drinking water hose pipe in me!) depending on where I am.
We sterilise the water tank once a year too. Even then I would recommend not drinking the water unless boiled.
So for us? Hot drinks? Boil the water. Cold drinks? Use bottled water. (Wine, beer, gin etc are alternatives of course;) but not for the kids)

The water from the van is only thing that both of us consumed over the weekend, we have spent the last hour eliminating stuff from the whole weekend in between rushing to the loo. Both have green poo

Sickness can come from many other things. So do not be sure about the water.

We use a dedicated 10L water canister and fill from a Drinkwater tap. We do not use any anti bacteria but empty the tank after each trip. But if you want to go safe, you can use Micropur in the tank. And we clean the tank and system at least once a year.

Used a garden hose for the last 10years to fill tank, we only use the water for hot drinks or cooking. Never sterilised tank and never been ill.

If you flush plenty of fresh water through the hose before you fill the tank an ordinary hose should, in my opinion be fine.

In my van theres far more risk from a dodgy BBQ or an iffy pint from the nearest pub.
Not sure I agree with you about the use of an ordinary hose. Hose pipes have lots of plasticisers in the materials from which they are made. Hoses made from water quality grade materials have water quality approved plasticisers in their manufacture. There is no control over non water quality grade materials and as such could pose a health threat. Just something to be aware of.
btw, I worked in the plastic pipe industry for more than 35 years.

The water from the van is only thing that both of us consumed over the weekend, we have spent the last hour eliminating stuff from the whole weekend in between rushing to the loo. Both have green poo
So you consumed it cold? When did the symptoms start after the first drink of unboiled water?

Do you boil that before every use?

Yes as used for cooking and hot drinks.

Used a garden hose for the last 10years to fill tank,

Use the garden hose once and other 1/2 who did not know I had used garden hose said her tea tasted funny.
When I have a cup it had an odd taste to it.

I have been suffering as well, although with me it is kidneys, not bowels, and a certain sudden urgency.

I am so water sensitive I contemplated once upon a time only ever to drink the same brand of bottled water for complete consistency but the logistics proved impossible. 2.5 litres a day, 17.5 litres a week ... on a long trip I would have to tow a bowser behind me :shocked The plastic water bottle consideration also a major issue.

I now compromise. I take my 2.2 litre jugs with me, 5 of them, filled with tap water from home and when done I fill from a fresh water tap at a campsite, or just ask a pub landlord.

Not sure I agree with you about the use of an ordinary hose. Hose pipes have lots of plasticisers in the materials from which they are made. Hoses made from water quality grade materials have water quality approved plasticisers in their manufacture. There is no control over non water quality grade materials and as such could pose a health threat. Just something to be aware of.
btw, I worked in the plastic pipe industry for more than 35 years.

If I was using it 365 days a year & leaving water sitting in the hose before use I would probably be more careful.

The risk of plasticisers leaching into the water as it runs through the 6ft of hose between the tap & van I regard as infinitesimally low & coupled with my infrequent consumption of small quantities of water from the tank means I don't really care.

If it is the water then you’ve introduced bacteria somehow. Much more likely to be a bug, they are extremely infectious.

I use a clean garden hose at home just for filling the tank. Run some water through first then top up tank. Drain in late autumn, leave empty over winter, sterilise at end of winter and flush through a couple of times.

Drink lots of cold water from tap. Neither of us have any issues. No different to filling a water container.

If I was using it 365 days a year & leaving water sitting in the hose before use I would probably be more careful.

The risk of plasticisers leaching into the water as it runs through the 6ft of hose between the tap & van I regard as infinitesimally low & coupled with my infrequent consumption of small quantities of water from the tank means I don't really care.
I guess this is one of those "Go your own way" topics and that's fine by me especially as you have taken the time to consider and rationalise the risks to you and your family. That said please try to avoid using brand new garden hoses even as you describe in your post as these represent the worst case scenario.

The bacterial count in chlorinated mains water is massively lower than plastic bottled water of all makes . This has been known for many years and that is forgetting the plasticers from the cheap plastic bottles . Hot weather and time would only make this worse . We probably should have a dedicated food grade hose with an anti siphon valve for filling the tank at home .I drink from the van tank without boiling but always change it frequently ( days not weeks ) . I also run the hose for a few minutes to change all the water in the pipe before filling the tank ( this is common practice on boats refilling their water tank in marinas ) Boiling would of course be safer ( bacteria ) but wouldn’t do anything to plasticers . The tank is probably best left empty with the drain open when not in use .

Last edited:
We only fill ours via a food trade hose and nothing else, we also flush the hose before using it,, we have used this method for a long time now and we happily drink the on board water with no issues

I stick with Perrier, preferably straight from the glass bottle. Ok with coffee, makes tea a tad salty. But only use water from tank for washing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are all different and have different tolerances
I have never sanitised my water tank in the 5 years,just flushed out the tank each year with garden hose,which I use to top up with
Probably would be more cautious if children was involved

Alan

I treat my tank like the water carry cans we have used in the past. After every time away I fill and rinse the tank with a Milton solution and run some through the tap. leave it in for 24 hours then drain then remove the tap fuse and open the tap so that the hose empties.
I then leave the drain open and the cap removed so that it dries out.

Then before we next go I fill once and drain it out and put about 10L of fresh water in there and off we go. Then when abroad I buy the 5L water from the supermarket and fill the tank with that.

I have considered adding a 0.4 micron water filter inline as we had one in our Landcruiser Overland vehicle and that is total piece of mind.

Last edited:
I have a 3' length of hose in the cali with a assortment of thread adapters to fit different taps, I never trust the hoses on sites. We sterilize the tank once a year after winter and have never had a problem in the 4 years we have had the Cali.
The wife drinks the water straight from the tape and has not had a problem, but I only drink it boiled for coffee, as water can contain bacteria. So for cold drinks I find it is safer to drink distilled or fermented products, ie whiskey, wine and beer.

Back