Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Excited new owner of Cali' T5

Seven sleeps to go before we pick up our new toy. The waiting is torment. Just want to start the loading /packing and travelling. Who cares that it's winter.

What more can I buy this month? As a seasoned campervan traveller, I should of course know better, being of the 'less is more' school, but always with one eye on the weather out west..

So what is the first thing I will try?

Next time we visit the supermarket in our new 'one and only', I'll make some excuse not to accompany my wife into the shop; I dunno, checking tyres, washer bottle or whatever. Then quickly out with a sleeping bag, down with the back seat/ bed, and trial both the porta potti and the kettle. No not for the same function! I can't be the first. What did you all do on your very first trip around the block?

I am planning on packing the van this winter simply with emergency stop overs in mind. And yes I might contrive to arrange several of those. I can hear the phone call right now. "Where are you; I need the van."

So now wondering about suitable 'white lies' as to why I can't make it home just yet. Any ideas?

Next time we visit the supermarket in our new 'one and only', I'll make some excuse not to accompany my wife into the shop; I dunno, checking tyres, washer bottle or whatever. Then quickly out with a sleeping bag, down with the back seat/ bed, and trial both the porta potti and the kettle. No not for the same function! I can't be the first. What did you all do on your very first trip around the block?

You should definitely do this! There's so much anticipation before arrival and then if you're not careful life can get in the way when it arrives. We've had ours two weeks and it's been used heavily as a car but barely at all as a Cali. I've managed to fit covers and mats but no proper Cali days out. Winter sucks in that regard, dark in the morning and late afternoon and then too many prior commitments and torrential rain at weekends. Roll on this Sunday, hopefully dry and a whole day at a nearby National Trust estate to get to know the Cali (I'll be staying firmly at the van!)

My advice - block out a few weeks and refuse any shopping/childcare/birthdays/[insert other less important nonsense here] - just some you and Cali time!

You should definitely do this! There's so much anticipation before arrival and then if you're not careful life can get in the way when it arrives. We've had ours two weeks and it's been used heavily as a car but barely at all as a Cali. I've managed to fit covers and mats but no proper Cali days out. Winter sucks in that regard, dark in the morning and late afternoon and then too many prior commitments and torrential rain at weekends. Roll on this Sunday, hopefully dry and a whole day at a nearby National Trust estate to get to know the Cali (I'll be staying firmly at the van!)

My advice - block out a few weeks and refuse any shopping/childcare/birthdays/[insert other less important nonsense here] - just some you and Cali time!

Good plan... National Trust car park especially.. But will need tarmac; won't be prepared for mud just yet.