Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Excited new owner of Cali' T5

C

CaliRog

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Bought the VW t shirt, cutlery and crockery 5 years ago. Now at last, after 5 years of camp site envy, we have taken the plunge and busted our life savings, and are soon to pick up our very own California to complement the accessories.

Now doubly looking forward to 2017. Both to attend our daughter's wedding and to spend endless time in a posh 'van. It may well deliver us to the church!

After 5 years in a Bongo travelling to Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Croatia, and France, so many more places still to visit. Looking forward to extending both our season and adventures further afield.

And of course learning how to parallel park our new (ish) one and only vehicle in the street .

Exciting times.

Great stuff....!
Welcome!

Welcome.
If I were you I wouldn't advertise my post code for everyone to know where a Cali may be parked.

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome.

So you are an " Old Hand " at the Campervan lifestyle. You must have some travel and camping tips/tricks to impart.:upsidedown

Welcome Roger, and congrats on the new Cali :thumb

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome.

So you are an " Old Hand " at the Campervan lifestyle. You must have some travel and camping tips/tricks to impart.:upsidedown
Well it is kind of frustrating to decide on a pitch in amongst the trees only to find lift room for the pop up obstructed by branches. Looking forward to less if any reliance on our khyam awning/tent. I suspect the Quechua pop up is popular with you guys. And interested in advice on best / most suited tail gate bike rack.

Well it is kind of frustrating to decide on a pitch in amongst the trees only to find lift room for the pop up obstructed by branches. Looking forward to less if any reliance on our khyam awning/tent. I suspect the Quechua pop up is popular with you guys. And interested in advice on best / most suited tail gate bike rack.
Well well it really depends on if you want to easily open the tailgate?
Obviously the VW one is probably the most common, but there are others.
I use a tow bar mounted rack that slides backwards and allows the tailgate to open. Means you also keep below the 2 metre height level, but you have to have a tow bar fitted.

What would you like it changing too roger

Well well it really depends on if you want to easily open the tailgate?
Obviously the VW one is probably the most common, but there are others.
I use a tow bar mounted rack that slides backwards and allows the tailgate to open. Means you also keep below the 2 metre height level, but you have to have a tow bar fitted.

Thanks. I have previously used a tow bar and attached bike rack from MaxxRaxx. Think I will check the most cost effective bike carrying VW dimensions for ferry crossings.

Thanks. I have previously used a tow bar and attached bike rack from MaxxRaxx. Think I will check the most cost effective bike carrying VW dimensions for ferry crossings.
Critical height dimension appears to be 2.2m height.

Thanks Kev. I had no idea people went searching for Californias to steal; I guess to order. Is theft rampant?

Roger considering how many Tranporters, Caravelles, MultiVans, Califonias, Shuttles etc, have I missed any. I would guess statistically, that the chances are remote.
Just like any vehicle there is probably a market for them somewhere in the world. Don't let that put you off!

;)

Bought the VW t shirt, cutlery and crockery 5 years ago. Now at last, after 5 years of camp site envy, we have taken the plunge and busted our life savings, and are soon to pick up our very own California to complement the accessories.

Now doubly looking forward to 2017. Both to attend our daughter's wedding and to spend endless time in a posh 'van. It may well deliver us to the church!

After 5 years in a Bongo travelling to Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Croatia, and France, so many more places still to visit. Looking forward to extending both our season and adventures further afield.

And of course learning how to parallel park our new (ish) one and only vehicle in the street .

Exciting times.
Hi CaliRog,welcome to the forum and good luck with your new adventures in 2017. it would be interesting to hear your opinion and experience of owning and using a Bongo which was something we considered prior to going for a Cali.

Hi CaliRog,welcome to the forum and good luck with your new adventures in 2017. it would be interesting to hear your opinion and experience of owning and using a Bongo which was something we considered prior to going for a Cali.

Well the Bongo was certainly a good introduction into camper travelling. And served us well over 5 years. I also loved driving it around town. It remains in my view a perfect and very cheap solution for a singleton traveller. But for a couple the space is just a little too tight and therefore needs an attached awning if only to provide storage space and space for the portable toilet. With hindsight maybe we should have left the Bongo in its unconverted state and cooked/ ate outside or in the awning. My background after all is boy scout and adult canvas camping rather than caravanning. Really the difficulties for us were trying to have a single overnight camp in the rain ( not wanting to have a wet awning tent next morning. Ie no standing space down below and the awkward hatch access for two into the roof bed space.

So I hope that the California will allow us just enough extra room to park up, pop up, and sleep over without stepping outside the van in bad weather ( existing or forecast). The swivel seats and easy access 2 adult sleeping deck in the roof I believe will make this possible. Also as a yachtsman I am quite at ease in confined quarters. Although the phrases 'ship shape at all times' and 'no double handling' are never far from my thoughts. The thought of a fixed commode type loo is much too close to caravanning for my liking!
Am absolutely certain the California is right for us.... is it worth the extra
£20,000? Or maybe less than £10,000 if you factor in depreciation. Time will tell.

But I am anticipating that it will extend our camping season and encourage us to head into less predictable climes ie Scotland and Scandinavia maybe.

But if all you do is drive to the Mediterranean for a 3/4 week static summer holiday each year, then buy the Bongo. ( and a Khyam tent).

^ I think it's good to read about experiences in competitor vans / set ups. Thanks for that.

Simple deterrent, turn the drivers seat right round and put the handbrake on, they'll never figure it out! :D

Welcome and congrats :thumb

All joking aside, I think you may be on to something here!