Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential Purchases from Campervan Bits

I’ll certainly join the club but my plan is to place an order and collect.
You still get the discount. You will get you membership cost back with the first order probably.
We use 2 duvets-a 4 tog and 10 tog. One goes under us and one on top depending on time of year. If very cold, both on top. We have a S2S mattress for downstairs. I have the ridge monkey but will probably buy the bigger one for next year as find the original too small when we are both in the van.

Check the windscreen wrap is there; I have a feeling they’re made to order (or at least the Comfortz one)

Pick up of our new Ocean confirmed for early in the New Year and, as recommended from an earlier post, we plan to stop at Campervan Bits on the way back home to Scotland. I know that there are plenty of threads on essential accessories, but grateful for views on the items I plan to buy at Campervan Bits that may not be quite as easy to see and purchase elsewhere. Items I’m thinking of buying are:

- Comfortz windscreen cover
- Spare wheel lock
- Levelling ramps - maybe not essential?
- Water filler hose - suggested length?
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring)
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189?
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts?

Depending on my wife’s liking I’ll probably pick up a Ridge Monkey XL along with folding kettle, pots and pans etc but I’m know I can buy these items locally from GoOutdoors etc and once I’ve worked out what we really need. So happy to trawl through existing threads.

Any thoughts or advice grateful received - just need to get Christmas out the way then we can have some proper fun!
I find this water filler cap very handy but you do need the appropriate hosepipe connector.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/rheinland-motorhome-water-filler-cap-with-hose-connector

Never used hook up in over 100 nights
Never used level blocks
1 gal solid water container fits behind passenger seat and can be kept full as a back up so don't need a hose
My one essential would be a second gas bottle, I'm finding these increasingly difficult to get refills.
Everything else take from home and get used to what fits and works for you.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Is a coiled cable more likely to cause an electrical fire?
The heat produced is proportional to the square of the current and length of the cable. H = k.I^2.R The rating of the cable is based around typical ambient air circulating around it.

Oddly, though often cited, the inductance produced by placing it in a coil is negligible.

If (as I do) you operate at less than 50% rated current you'll probably notice no temperature increase. Otherwise unwinding the cable is a good idea.

any suggestions for minimum length of water hose?
Mines about 24 inches long with a funnel at one end. it takes up little space and we fill it with our five litre water bottle.

We a 10m and a 15m hook up cable, which join together. Rolling up a 25 m cable can be tiring.

The heat produced is proportional to the square of the current and length of the cable. H = k.I^2.R The rating of the cable is based around typical ambient air circulating around it.

Oddly, though often cited, the inductance produced by placing it in a coil is negligible.

If (as I do) you operate at less than 50% rated current you'll probably notice no temperature increase. Otherwise unwinding the cable is a good idea.
A good illustration of coiled vs uncoiled safe current load can be seen on the label on the side of most normal 3-pin reel extension leads; the one I’m looking at now when unwound the full 13A can be sent through it but when coiled it is rated to just 3A.

I have my 25m cable on a reel. I presume that counts as coiled. I don’t remember reading anything about reduced performance or safety from unwinding it, perhaps because they design it to be operated at <50% rated current

• Comfortz windscreen cover: Haven't needed one so far plus I hate the idea of having something potentially wet to have to pack away
  • Spare wheel lock: Not really an issue where I live plus the cost of shipping would be more than the item itself
  • Levelling ramps: I haven't needed them so far.
  • Water filler hose: I have a small collapsible hose plus a 3d printed funnel attachment
  • Hook up cable: I have a 25m cable on a roll which is useful for at home but I'm thinking of getting a shorter (and thinner) one for on the go. I also have a solar panel so don't often get hookup.
  • Porta Potty 335: I have one but don't like the amount of space it takes up. I carry a foldable system that uses bags and a liquid absorbing chemical for emergencies. I don't mind walking through a camp ground in the middle of the night to get to the facilities even in the rain.
  • Carpet for living area: I have a bathroom type Ikea rug that I can shake out easily.
  • Seat covers: I'm happy with my Brandrup covers that look exactly like the original seat fabric. I don't worry about food spills or standing on the seats or having a wet bathing suit, sun screen or sand all over me. I have some stains on the back bench now but will throw the covers in the washer come spring time. I recommend them.
  • Outdoor gas camper stove: If it's warm enough outside I prefer to cook on an outdoors
  • Eating utensils: Unbreakable plates, "glasses" and cups as well as stackable pots and pans
  • Coffee maker: I use a moka type expresso maker
  • Bedding: you can start with what you have at home and then get something appropriate. I use a (somewhat) fitted sheet over the mattrasses, some small pillows and very light weight sleeping bags that roll up small.
  • Storage: I have a window bag in the right rear window for clothing. I wish I had gotten one just a bit less thick so as to not interfere with moving the bench back and forth, but in general I find it a good idea.
Don't forget the gas canister!

Keep in mind that the camper has less space than you think it does, especially if you don't want to constantly shift stuff around.

we have a minimalist approach to gear;-
We took off to Spain for our shake down run when we bought the Cali in 2018 with very little gear and managed just fine, its fun stopping and finding local shops/ restaurants for food and other things, and the more clutter you take the greater the space it occupies!
spare gas canister, It's a major hassle if you run out
Home made screen cover from two Aldi screen covers taped together,
cutlery and kitchen stuff from home / old camping gear. ( I think the ally kettle dates back to the 70's! but it works just fine )
Hook up lead, 25mtrs, which we rarely use, the man is supposed to be making a shorter one but is fixated on getting the blue cable , something to do with outdoor standards in cold weather !
Cadac mini chef BBQ with Griddle, we tend to cook outside as it's camping!
A fire extinguisher, Must check it's still in date and charge pressure is OK!
Hose for water , one of those with a ruffle cover. came from Morrisons and fits into the rear shelves.
A pack of interlocking foam mats to stand on outside the van.
A Leatherman multi tool pen knife, very useful! ( He insists on a set of screwdrivers and Pliers etc which are under the drivers seat in a sipper case)
a decent LED torch, again from our camping days.
Pee bottles for during the night!
Drying towel, microfibre one for drying cars, came from a classic car show he went to! Very good at drying off moisture from inside the windows after a cold night sleeping.
We bought a Porta Potty but have yet to use it!
Ladder, as it makes getting upstairs to sleep easier, and we prefer to sleep in the pop-top bed.
Things we might get would include a better carpet as the off cuts we use are a bit tatty, and might consider seat covers

1703335129500.jpeglunch at Moonbeams music festival this summer,.Note the sun screen cover.

A kettle or small electric fan will cause the cable insulation to melt if coiled up! I know!

Pick up of our new Ocean confirmed for early in the New Year and, as recommended from an earlier post, we plan to stop at Campervan Bits on the way back home to Scotland. I know that there are plenty of threads on essential accessories, but grateful for views on the items I plan to buy at Campervan Bits that may not be quite as easy to see and purchase elsewhere. Items I’m thinking of buying are:

- Comfortz windscreen cover
- Spare wheel lock
- Levelling ramps - maybe not essential?
- Water filler hose - suggested length?
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring)
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189?
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts?

Depending on my wife’s liking I’ll probably pick up a Ridge Monkey XL along with folding kettle, pots and pans etc but I’m know I can buy these items locally from GoOutdoors etc and once I’ve worked out what we really need. So happy to trawl through existing threads.

Any thoughts or advice grateful received - just need to get Christmas out the way then we can have some proper fun!
Our experience:-

Comfortz windscreen cover - we’ve got an internal one Isolite - stays dry.
- Spare wheel lock - we don’t have a spare :(
- Levelling ramps - maybe not essential? - very essential, and as we camp on uneven pitches we have two sets.
- Water filler hose - suggested length? We have a 20m one for home, and a 7m flat hose for site fill ups (fits nicely on top of Gaz bottle)
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring) - 25m is best. The van comes with a Euro to UK waterproof adaptor. Best also to get a standard UK house socket to iso socket.
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away - yep
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189? - Your choice. We bought 2 mats from Dunelm at £12 each, plus 2 for the boot.
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts? - we don’t have young kids but still bought covers. The seat fabric is stupidly light and the covers protect against spills etc.
Ridge Monkey? - Yes, the best pan we’ve bought is the deep pan with griddle lid. We have an XL toastie pan but don’t use that much. Another great pan is the Cadac Paella pan - we use it on the outdoor stove mostly.
Folding kettle - yes we bought one, though I prefer the Outdoor Revolution whistling kettle.
You’ll also need a 907 Campingaz Cylinder. The shop does them.

Good luck - have fun!

A kettle or small electric fan will cause the cable insulation to melt if coiled up! I know!
Kettle typically draws around 2500W. Assuming you mean "small electric fan heater" the power consumption at max is similar. Both appliances around 80+% of typical cable's rating in free air.

My cable is not on a reel (so semi coiled) and only really runs the vehicle charger. It's never been detectably warm.

Everyone is welcome to health and safety thing upwards as they see fit. I'm happy with my setup and generally low to medium risk.

Our experience:-

Comfortz windscreen cover - we’ve got an internal one Isolite - stays dry.
- Spare wheel lock - we don’t have a spare :(
- Levelling ramps - maybe not essential? - very essential, and as we camp on uneven pitches we have two sets.
- Water filler hose - suggested length? We have a 20m one for home, and a 7m flat hose for site fill ups (fits nicely on top of Gaz bottle)
- Hook up cable - suggested length again and need for adapter (trip to France planned in spring) - 25m is best. The van comes with a Euro to UK waterproof adaptor. Best also to get a standard UK house socket to iso socket.
- Porta Potty 335 - I know I could buy locally but probably worth buying straight away - yep
- Carpet for living area - is it worth buying the Brandrupp fitted one for £189? - Your choice. We bought 2 mats from Dunelm at £12 each, plus 2 for the boot.
- Not planning on buying seat covers as no children and expect to put a throw on back seats - thoughts? - we don’t have young kids but still bought covers. The seat fabric is stupidly light and the covers protect against spills etc.
Ridge Monkey? - Yes, the best pan we’ve bought is the deep pan with griddle lid. We have an XL toastie pan but don’t use that much. Another great pan is the Cadac Paella pan - we use it on the outdoor stove mostly.
Folding kettle - yes we bought one, though I prefer the Outdoor Revolution whistling kettle.
You’ll also need a 907 Campingaz Cylinder. The shop does them.

Good luck - have fun!
Thanks, helpful,advice

I can't recommend them. I'll drink anything, but the Mrs doesn't like the taste, presumably from the rubber. We bought a cheap metal kettle with a slim profile that fits the bill nicely.
It is silicone not rubber and has no taste at all..we use it 8 years 50 days a year..
maybe rinse it before first use ?

I have my 25m cable on a reel. I presume that counts as coiled. I don’t remember reading anything about reduced performance or safety from unwinding it, perhaps because they design it to be operated at <50% rated current
By all means use cable reels so long as you’re aware of their limitations, and risks.

Proprietary extension cable reels have a label for loading guidance. A typical 25m reel of 2.5mm2 3-core pvc insulated cable will be rated at a little over 3kW in free air. The rating typically reduces to around 700 Watts when wound up. At 240V 700 Watts represents less than 3 Amps, which is not a lot. If your reel has no label, then it’s best not to use in wound up, unless for short durations, and always supervised.

In terms of how a fire develops, as the insulation gets towards its melting point, the copper cores can move through the softening insulation causing a short circuit, and this then leads to the ignition. The fire is then fed by the burning insulation, and maybe the reel itself if it’s also plastic. In my experience, cable reel fires occur typically when the reel is in an area that is not supervised, or when people aren’t around, e.g. at night. As a result they’re banned in nearly all industrial settings. I’ve witnessed / investigated 2 significant fires, and a further 2 reel burn outs causing only smoke damage.

It is silicone not rubber and has no taste at all..we use it 8 years 50 days a year..
maybe rinse it before first use ?
Yes fair enough. Like I say, I’m happy but the Mrs thinks she can taste it. Even after a year. So we reverted to a metal kettle

Please elaborate - we've just purchased a collapsible kettle
My electric folding kettle can ‘flex’ mid-pour. Needs a finger to steady the base. Fine once you know how, but not the best design …

Our Kampa collapsible kettle is stable enough, and it’s the one that’s always in the van. I just prefer the Outdoor Revolution whistling kettle better - whistling, pouring and looks. We take it on longer trips.

Our outwell collapsible kettle is very stable - one of my best van purchases:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk