Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What’s included, what to buy ASAP?

Ian Maddocks

Ian Maddocks

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi all,

I’ve got my Ocean on order and the wife, myself and 2 meduim dogs maybe going away for a week directly after picking her up.

So to prepare I’d like to know what’s included from the VW and what I need to buy. FYI I’m new to camping so don’t have garage full of outdoor kit.

Here’s the list of items I think I need for a week away (will be close enough to civilisation to not worry about food etc), please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Items included with new Cali Ocean:
  1. Draw under sink & Cutlery tray
  2. Downstairs mattress
  3. Upstairs mattress
  4. Leisure batteries
Mandatory items to buy:
  1. Gas bottle
  2. Water filling pipe
  3. Kettle for gas hob
  4. EHU cable
  5. Leveling ramps
  6. Drive away awning
  7. Drive away 6mm keder kit
  8. EU 2 pin mains adapter for inverter plug
  9. Cigarette lighter USB plugs
  10. Chopping board
  11. Dustpan & brush
  12. Bin / bags
  13. Cheap seat covers (given dogs)
  14. Bottle opener!
Items that can be borrowed from home to start:
  1. Crockery & cups (china rather than plastic)
  2. Cutlery
  3. Glasses (fragile as not plastic)
  4. Pots & pans
  5. Salt/pepper/ketchup
  6. Bedding (assuming size of double)
  7. Washing up kit
  8. Towels etc
Thoughts on:
  1. Sofa pillows
  2. Non-slip covers / protection of fridge/hob/sink
Etiquette questions:
  • Is it frowned upon drive back into the campsite at ~10 pm after leaving campsite to go to a restaurant
  • If campsite spacing not laid out, how much distance to leave between neighbours
Many thanks for your experience & help.

We still don't have any of these......
  1. Drive away awning
  2. Drive away 6mm keder kit
I do have these, but rarely use them...
  1. EU 2 pin mains adapter for inverter plug
  2. Dustpan & brush
Thoughts on:
  1. Sofa pillows. Don't have any.
  2. Non-slip covers / protection of fridge/hob/sink. Do have these..... Useful.
Etiquette questions:
  • Is it frowned upon drive back into the campsite at ~10 pm after leaving campsite to go to a restaurant
Depends on the campsite! club campsites are more twitchy. Some lock the gate at a certain hour. In any event, as quickly, quietly and unobtrusively as possible.

• If campsite spacing not laid out, how much distance to leave between neighbours
As much as possible!

Mandatory items to buy:
Leveling ramps
Drive away awning
Drive away 6mm keder kitnote

As it's just the two of you and two dogs I certainly wouldn't classify these as "mandatory"

Leveling ramps
Drive away awning

Ramps are only necessary if you're unable to park on a level[ish] piece of ground. In 22 years of VW camping we've used them only a handful of times and we alter between greenfield camping sites to wild.

Awning? Why bother? If there were more of you then I'd understand the need. Unless of course you both hate each other and need to be apart ;p. We have two mastiffs and cope with no awning

Etiquette questions:

Is it frowned upon drive back into the campsite at ~10 pm after leaving campsite to go to a restaurant
If campsite spacing not laid out, how much distance to leave between neighbours
Many thanks for your experience & help.

Assuming you don't return revving the engine, flashing your lights and pulling donuts in the campsite you should be OK. As to whether you'll have kept your spot..... that's a different matter.

Regards spacing: How close would you like a stranger to park to you? Use that as a guide and you'll be ok

I haven't felt the need for levelling blocks or a drive way awning - yet.

Things that I have found very useful are a plastic bucket (amazed how much I use it), barbecue and an empty wide necked clothes washing liquid bottle, preferably with a handle.

I think your list will get you through nicely.
Regards the levellers, there will be times to use them I would get them.
The awning will be worth while if you don't hop from campsite to campsite :thumb
I tend to hop and have never used mine yet (I've had it nearly 2 years because of that.
But I'm to lazy to put it up for a couple of days use.

Awning? Why bother? If there were more of you then I'd understand the need. Unless of course you both hate each other and need to be apart ;p.
It certainly will be a test!

I think your list will get you through nicely.
Regards the levellers, there will be times to use them I would get them.
Thanks.

The awning will be worth while if you don't hop from campsite to campsite :thumb
I tend to hop and have never used mine yet (I've had it nearly 2 years because of that.
But I'm to lazy to put it up for a couple of days use.
I thought there were minimum stays of ~3 days during peak season.

I also liked the idea of a awning as 1. A way to mark my pitch and 2. Slim down the van when out for the day.

I haven't felt the need for levelling blocks or a drive way awning - yet.

Things that I have found very useful are a plastic bucket (amazed how much I use it), barbecue and an empty wide necked clothes washing liquid bottle, preferably with a handle.
Is the washing bottle in case you get caught short in the night? ;)
I’m worried about the bucket!

Assuming you don't return revving the engine, flashing your lights and pulling donuts in the campsite you should be OK. As to whether you'll have kept your spot..... that's a different matter.

Regards spacing: How close would you like a stranger to park to you? Use that as a guide and you'll be ok
Thanks great advice.

We still don't have any of these......
  1. Drive away awning
  2. Drive away 6mm keder kit
I do have these, but rarely use them...
  1. EU 2 pin mains adapter for inverter plug
  2. Dustpan & brush
Thoughts on:
  1. Sofa pillows. Don't have any.
  2. Non-slip covers / protection of fridge/hob/sink. Do have these..... Useful.
Etiquette questions:
Depends on the campsite! club campsites are more twitchy. Some lock the gate at a certain hour. In any event, as quickly, quietly and unobtrusively as possible.

As much as possible!
Thanks, helpful to make sure I’m not wasting money while I learn.

I thought there were minimum stays of ~3 days during peak season.
It's not always the case but for sure there are some places that are't interested in 1 or 2 night stays.

Is the washing bottle in case you get caught short in the night? ;)
I’m worried about the bucket!

1st point - Yes

2nd point - No need to worry, just ended using the bucket a lot, for carrying things, storage, soaking clothes, carrying plates to the kitchen area, loads of uses.

I would say yes to comfortable pillows or cushions that can be used as pillows and a mattress topper or something like sheepskins to smooth over the cracks of the lower mattress. I find the lower mattress very uncomfortable, but the slatted upper mattress comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it's just the two of you and two dogs I certainly wouldn't classify these as "mandatory"

Leveling ramps
Drive away awning

Ramps are only necessary if you're unable to park on a level[ish] piece of ground. In 22 years of VW camping we've used them only a handful of times and we alter between greenfield camping sites to wild.

Awning? Why bother? If there were more of you then I'd understand the need. Unless of course you both hate each other and need to be apart ;p. We have two mastiffs and cope with no awning

Agree with @DrJuanKerr one of benefits of Cali is quick set up so IMHO with just two of you know need for drive away awning.
Interested reading views on levelling chocks - I suppose if on mainly campsites then maybe not needed.

I think it is very easy to over think it and end up buying things in the early days you do not really need.

Is it frowned upon drive back into the campsite at ~10 pm after leaving campsite to go to a restaurant

I have found many campsites have no movements of units between set hours.

camping and caravan rule ---
"Vehicle movement on Site is prohibited between 11pm and 7am."

Last edited:
We’ve used the levelling ramps enough times for them to have earned their permanent place in the van. Usually at ‘farm field’ informal sites, or wild camping. Not an expensive item anyway and not heavy. But certainly not essential kit.

We’ve used the levelling ramps enough times for them to have earned their permanent place in the van. Usually at ‘farm field’ informal sites, or wild camping. Not an expensive item anyway and not heavy. But certainly not essential kit.
Completely agree with you. We do not like very civilized campsites and so the pitches are sometimes sloping.
It also depends on the level until you like to fill your glass of wine. :bananadance2

I would maybe avoid buying a driveway awning until you've used the van a few times. There are so many different types/sizes/versions that you might end up with something too big /small / bulky / etc. if you get one beforehand.

Some people go for a normal tent or an event shelter instead of a driveway awning as it means you don't have to faff about attaching and reattaching to the van. You might want to consider this option too?

We've got this: https://www.coleman.eu/uk/c-773-event-dome.aspx (pretty easy to pitch but light and packs down small) which works well for us.

This looks really good (there is also a driveway version) https://www.leisureoutlet.com/gazeb...2oKeb4t4SsjmdHoz4HLP_mIBAj1xwj6LilBoC1tXw_wcB

If you go for levelling ramps (which are handy to have) I'd also get a set of chocks too.

Have an amazing first trip!

I think you have the right attitude, what do you need for those first trips. Best to find you need something than buy something you don't need. Bare minimum is:

Hookup cable, always worth having.
Bedding, pillows or sleeping bags etc. Would recommend sheet and mattress protector of some kind.
Gas bottle
Torch/Head torch
Kettle/pan
Enough plates, cups, glasses and cutlery etc for however many will be in the van at one time.
A means to top up your water tank.

So many people get excited and carried away (I did it, most of us here did) buy every eventuality and then find they don't use half of it and it goes to waste or gets sold on the forum second hand.

Awnings being a big purchase, I would hold fire and see if you need the space and see how you travel? They suit staying put for a long period but if you move on every day or two then it will become a burden.

I would like to see you do that with your California!! :thumb

a mattress topper or something like sheepskins to smooth over the cracks of the lower mattress.
If we sleep downstairs, I was thinking to bring down the he upstairs mattress as a topper until we decide on
I would maybe avoid buying a driveway awning until you've used the van a few times. There are so many different types/sizes/versions that you might end up with something too big /small / bulky / etc. if you get one beforehand.

Some people go for a normal tent or an event shelter instead of a driveway awning as it means you don't have to faff about attaching and reattaching to the van. You might want to consider this option too?

We've got this: https://www.coleman.eu/uk/c-773-event-dome.aspx (pretty easy to pitch but light and packs down small) which works well for us.

This looks really good (there is also a driveway version) https://www.leisureoutlet.com/gazeb...2oKeb4t4SsjmdHoz4HLP_mIBAj1xwj6LilBoC1tXw_wcB

If you go for levelling ramps (which are handy to have) I'd also get a set of chocks too.

Have an amazing first trip!
The Vango Hex does look good, adding a spacious living room.
Thanks the the advice on the chocks.

Leveling ramps
Drive away awning

An awning is great if you have dogs, it acts as a holding/buffer zone for cleaning & drying off, drying their smelly towels etc. Wet &/or muddy dogs and small living spaces don’t mix well.

If we sleep downstairs, I was thinking to bring down the he upstairs mattress as a topper until we decide on

The Vango Hex does look good, adding a spacious living room.
Thanks the the advice on the chocks.
Moving the mattress up and down would be a right pain, I think: big mattress, small hole. Why not try a duvet to sleep on, the cover also means you don’t need a bottom sheet. A duvet is easy to store either flat or rolled on the back shelf.

I think you have the right attitude, what do you need for those first trips. Best to find you need something than buy something you don't need. Bare minimum is:

Hookup cable, always worth having.
Bedding, pillows or sleeping bags etc. Would recommend sheet and mattress protector of some kind.
Gas bottle
Torch/Head torch
Kettle/pan
Enough plates, cups, glasses and cutlery etc for however many will be in the van at one time.
A means to top up your water tank.

So many people get excited and carried away (I did it, most of us here did) buy every eventuality and then find they don't use half of it and it goes to waste or gets sold on the forum second hand.

Awnings being a big purchase, I would hold fire and see if you need the space and see how you travel? They suit staying put for a long period but if you move on every day or two then it will become a burden.
A driveaway awning, although more expensive, gives you the option of connecting in bad weather or when you want the extra “tunnel” space. There’s also the ability to roll & tie back the tunnel, so you have more choices and the best of both worlds.

Back