Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

End of T6.1 (California) production expected June 2024

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Interesting article appeared a couple of days ago stating VW sources as saying order books for T6.1 models (incl Cali's I presume) will close shortly. All production of T6.1's slated to end June 2024. The replacement will be the Ford Custom and incl the new Cali.

The tightening of Cali model options would support this timeline.

The Ford Transit Custom will offer 110PS, 170PS diesel engines and a plugin hybrid variant.

Interesting. I especially like the silver/red colour combination in the photo for this article. I do not recall seeing this colour combination elsewhere.

Also what the the impending EU exhaust specifications that potentially drive this announcement?

I can see how this Ford would be a logical successor to the Cali compared to say a Buzz or T7 Multivan

Interesting. I especially like the silver/red colour combination in the photo for this article. I do not recall seeing this colour combination elsewhere.

Also what the the impending EU exhaust specifications that potentially drive this announcement?
EU7 emission requirements I presume

That colour combo was a MY23 option (at least in the EU) but quickly cut from the range.

That was available to order along with grey and starlight blue over silver as a MY23 option in UK and dropped a couple of months later.

Yes, the Transits use of a rear suspension design that Archimedes granddad would have thought ancient discounts it for me.

Basically in line with "Project Cyclone" - The 1T joint project that will replace the transporter as a cross badged vehicle. Timing was a little elastic due to the market situation but sounds like they have a new deadline.

I can see how this Ford would be a logical successor to the Cali compared to say a Buzz or T7 Multivan
Looks like they will at last solve the problem of leaking windows in the back. Just have none of them that open.

So what exactly will the next California be based on? The ID. Buzz is neither a van nor a camper (but the press play on that heritage), and the Multivan is a people carrier? So does the T.x (Transporter) line end with the new Ford/VW partnership? Is the T7 a Ford/VW platform? T8 anyone?

So what exactly will the next California be based on? The ID. Buzz is neither a van nor a camper (but the press play on that heritage), and the Multivan is a people carrier? So does the T.x (Transporter) line end with the new Ford/VW partnership? Is the T7 a Ford/VW platform? T8 anyone?
It will be based on the Nugget

It will be based on the Nugget
I think that comment is pure speculation TBH. A bit like all the T7 fanboiz thinking the Buzz is the next camper.

It's a cross badge, so seperate vehicles and panels on the same chassis platform. The MQB platform runs dozens of models across 4 brands, all the same chassis, very different vehicles.

There is no indication as of yet how a conversion will be managed. It could be that Ford and VW continue down their existing paths and take the shell vans and do them seperate, they may outsource to Westfalia, they may have a joint van.

There is literally zero information or rumour to base a decision off. If you can point me to an article that says it "will be based on a nugget" I'll happily eat humble pie (and be even happier than I am already with my 6.1).

Last edited:
A Ford is not a VW. The last Ford we had as a work van was a pile of s**t and I wouldn't go near another one for love or money. Still it bodes well for the residual of our '23 Beach;)

I have a Ford work van.
I genuinely think it’s great…

I think that comment is pure speculation TBH. A bit like all the T7 fanboiz thinking the Buzz is the next camper.

It's a cross badge, so seperate vehicles and panels on the same chassis platform. The MQB platform runs dozens of models across 4 brands, all the same chassis, very different vehicles.

There is no indication as of yet how a conversion will be managed. It could be that Ford and VW continue down their existing paths and take the shell vans and do them seperate, they may outsource to Westfalia, they may have a joint van.

There is literally zero information or rumour to base a decision off. If you can point me to an article that says it "will be based on a nugget" I'll happily eat humble pie (and be even happier than I am already with my 6.1).
It is absolute pure speculation, it was actually mean with irony with Ford being the manufacturer in the future. . The reality is there is no successor to the T6.1. It's the end of the road. The T series was providing a base for people carrier alike a car , i.e. the Multivan, or commercial vehicles like panel vans or Caravelles and all other sort of variations under the name of "Transporter".
Now the people carrier function has been taken over by the new Multivan and the commercial will be in 2024 in collaboration with Ford by the looks of it.
I previously stated the T6.1 was coming to an end of the production, hence many models like 4motion were starting to be discontinued, but you did disagree with me saying usually the full range of models is available till the day they stop production. i guess this time is different.
We'll have to see if Ford will continue to produce its transit and a second same category van for/with VW , or if they will just make one product, similar to what Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot did with the Ducato/Jumper/Boxer.

I previously stated the T6.1 was coming to an end of the production, hence many models like 4motion were starting to be discontinued, but you did disagree with me saying usually the full range of models is available till the day they stop production. i guess this time is different.
The only reason the 4motion is not currently available is down to component supply problems. Nothing at all to do with T6.1 stopping being made.
The 4motion crafter & MAN have the same problem.

Looks like the problem of the saggy rear end is solved, looks a bit nose down, but at least the wheel arch gaps are the same ………maybe :Iamsorry

View attachment 105205

That’s definitely an optical illusion. The windows taper up at the rear…
Anyway, the Ford looks good.

It is absolute pure speculation, it was actually mean with irony with Ford being the manufacturer in the future. . The reality is there is no successor to the T6.1. It's the end of the road. The T series was providing a base for people carrier alike a car , i.e. the Multivan, or commercial vehicles like panel vans or Caravelles and all other sort of variations under the name of "Transporter".
Now the people carrier function has been taken over by the new Multivan and the commercial will be in 2024 in collaboration with Ford by the looks of it.
We'll have to see if Ford will continue to produce its transit and a second same category van for/with VW , or if they will just make one product, similar to what Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot did with the Ducato/Jumper/Boxer.
My POV on the options remains the same and I’m not sure how my reply above is linked to that.

There will be a “vehicle run out” period, as the factory winds down, but that has little link to expensive and profitable options. They may decide to cut their losses close to a run out on 4WD due to supply issues, but thats not the same as they are stopping the option due to run out. They are stopping the option due to supply issues.

Again, cross badged situations are complex and we don’t yet know how this one will work in reality or what will come out of it. According to the articles I read the vans will be distinct, just share the same under pinnings, but until they come out, everything is speculation as real info is thin on the ground.

VW in the OEM world though are famous for their protection of the brand. Compared to the rest of the brands they have spent 40 years carefully building their VW brand to the point they can charge a premium for the badge. You can bet your boots that they will not piddle that away with Ford.

Last edited:
So:
1) ID. Buzz - specific EV market - no Cali
2) Multivan - people carrier - no Cali - aka T7
3) VW/Ford platform - next VW Cali after T6.1 ends mid-2024, maybe +1 year as base models get released
Who knows, other than the VW strategist laughing at this thread?
I'd like to see a Hybrid TSi/Battery non-PHEV that can return 55mph+ and is not dependent on charging, so it can go as remote as your like. Honda's e: HEV drivetrain has got it right in my view.

One of the biggest plus points of the Transporter/Cali is the galvanised body. Speaking as someone who has a 15yr old one. I can’t imagine spending £80k on something that will rust after 6yrs.
The Galaxy/Alhambra Ford/VW tie up does not inspire much faith.
The hybrid element is at least interesting.

Back