Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

End of T6.1 (California) production expected June 2024

The ABT version is a bargain compared to this one

;) :D Yes, I saw that movie from them but:
B047F977-3C55-4DBF-A610-B6EAC5C21F57.jpeg
The ABT is in -may I say good looking- ascot grey colour, a free colour.
They both are well overpriced ‘alternatives’ to a well tougher out campervan. Each his idea about it.
For us now: frühstücken in Autostadt :thumb
Greetings

;) :D Yes, I saw that movie from them but:
View attachment 105254
The ABT is in -may I say good looking- ascot grey colour, a free colour.
They both are well overpriced ‘alternatives’ to a well tougher out campervan. Each his idea about it.
For us now: frühstücken in Autostadt :thumb
Greetings
Knowing ABT also do performance enhancement it seems like a bit of a job-half-done situation. At the very least I would expect some suspension upgrades. Awful lot of money for some fancy cabinetry veneers.

I think that the transit custom looked ok, although a bit bling? The VW badged version could be very different. Pretty much the main driver for me to change my 2019 California would be the availability of a petrol hybrid but I would hate to have any trade off with regards to interior build quality. I would appreciate less expensive spares though and perhaps a wider service network.

I'm so pleased that I ordered one.
My Cali will be delivered at the end of May, begin June.
View attachment 105243
Good luck @erik.godderis and hope your delivery comes through.

My son and his business partner ordered 2 LWB Transporters last year via a CamperKing franchise in Watford with the expectation set by the dealer that they would be delivered for the conversion to start late Feb early March.

No communication from the converter but after chasing them yesterday he found out that the vans had not even been allocated a VW production slot yet! Result: both van orders cancelled.

CamperKing HQ not happy with the franchisee and are going to help with alternative vans but not able to meet the originally ordered base specification.

I would check the build status of yours before committing to any camping trips.

Last time I looked, the Ford Custom wasn't available in 4wd (the bigger transit was), wonder if they would bridge that gap or is the 6.1 the last 4wd 'california'?

That all depends on VW.
They will have to work hard at keeping customer loyalty to the brand and “ life style “

I didn’t buy my VW California for the VW badge but for the California badge on the tailgate.
California's were once Westfalia's. The T4 build is exceptional and is durable, non-complex and reliable.

Interesting article appeared a couple of days ago stating VW sources as saying order books for T6.1 models (incl Cali's I presume) will close shortly. All production of T6.1's slated to end June 2024. The replacement will be the Ford Custom and incl the new Cali.

The tightening of Cali model options would support this timeline.

I see the future of the European automotive industry in black colors, a few crazy people come up with more and more new standards Eu 5, Eu6, Eu7 and what else, in order to kill the automotive industry, we will only have to ride a bike to work and stay at home in the name of pseudoecology. Do you remember Flinstons they have ecological car?

I see the future of the European automotive industry in black colors, a few crazy people come up with more and more new standards Eu 5, Eu6, Eu7 and what else, in order to kill the automotive industry, we will only have to ride a bike to work and stay at home in the name of pseudoecology. Do you remember Flinstons they have ecological car?
pseudoecology? We need to do something

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A536B met Tapatalk

If the Ford(VW) Ranger collab his anything to go by, the new Ford Cali might be quite underwhelming. From the outside it looks like they just slap on a VW badge and call it a day.....
Rangers.jpg

Fortunately there are plenty of Transporters being produced. It was about a 50:50 mix of T6.1's vs Multivans and Buzz's

Factory1.jpg

Factory 2.jpg

Just had confirmation from VW that my Order has been accepted by the factory. You guys got me worried that I had missed my chance to get another Transporter based California. I had been meaning to keep our current Ocean for another year or two, especially as we love the green colours ever since our T4 days and sad to see this option discontinued. However, my thinking is that by getting a new cali now I will be able to see customer reviews of the replacement California before placing my next order and I can "lock in" the current high prices for used vans. Hope my strategy pays off.

Just so everyone is aware the New California will not be built on the Volkswagen/Ford platform.

They are just awaiting to confirm what platform it will be built on but definitely wont be the aligned one with ford.

Just so everyone is aware the New California will not be built on the Volkswagen/Ford platform.

They are just awaiting to confirm what platform it will be built on but definitely wont be the aligned one with ford.
Doesn't leave too many options then. Could the next iteration be a California Lite based on the Buzz LWB or T7 Multivan? I guess time will tell.

crafter with a chop top. picture below for inspiration.....
chopped-volvo.jpg

Interesting. Which platform would allow the extra weight?

California's were once Westfalia's. The T4 build is exceptional and is durable, non-complex and reliable.

That’s the thing. All the electronics on a 6.1 are fine whilst under warranty. What happens after that, in 10, 15, 20 years time when it all throws a wobbly?!

That’s the thing. All the electronics on a 6.1 are fine whilst under warranty. What happens after that, in 10, 15, 20 years time when it all throws a wobbly?!
My mate collects classic motorcycles: pre-electronic management bikes can be maintained, but later models are for the display only if the electronics fail as there are no spares – unless you want to get your soldering iron out. Built-in obsolescence from the very systems that are needed to meet emission regulations.

Sounds like the next Cali is EV only…

7D41E624-5492-4A3E-856A-673DCF82BB61.jpeg

Doesn't have the payload for a full fat Cali. Maybe a Cali Lite

I wouldn’t expect to see the next generation California to look like the current.
There will be weight savings, by not having onboard gas etc.
I imagine the California is in for a major overhaul…

A lot of the above is speculative talk in terms of next Cali - it doesn’t help with various offerings provided by VW. T7, ID Buzz, VW / Ford Partnership.

Cant say I’m massively impressed with the build of the 6.1 and less impressed with the quality of Fords having owned several in the past.

That all been said, anyone know what Merc as doing with the MP as I’m ready to jump ship if the next variant is any good as VW are having difficulties knowing it’s arse from its elbow at the moment. No doubt all will revealed in good time.

Interesting. Which platform would allow the extra weight?
The New Multivan is not far off regarding weight, it’s a 7 seater, the Ocean is only 4. There is a LWB version.With some new materials etc.

Back