Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electrical source for the fridge

top3b

top3b

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi,

I would like to ask to the forum any kind of solution to power a fridge when the engine is stopped, Iwas thinking about the GPL/LPG option,but i don't know how to fix it on board, does anyone have pics about it?
My second thought was to the solar panel solution, also for it any kind of help is welcome.
Thank you in advance!
Regard

F.

The Beach has a leisure battery to provide a 12v supply to the interior separate to the engine starter battery. The leisure battery supplies power for the interior lights, the 12v sockets and hence to a 12v fridge/ cooler box. The leisure battery is charged by the engine when running. The engine starter battery is electrically isolated from the leisure battery. The leisure battery is located under the R hand side front seat. The starter battery is in the engine bay.
For extended use you have 2 options.
Solar panel connected to the leisure battery.
Mains electrical hookup with a 12v charger to keep the leisure battery charged.

Thank you for the reply, but remove me all doubts about the solar panel, first, how many watts (or square meters)usually can cover two days family needs without engine recharging?
And second, the cable coming out from the solar panel has to be connected directly to the leisure battery or something in the between?
Regards

2 x 100w 12v panels, semi flexible, edge bonded only, so you can remove them if damaged, will comfortably keep up with a Dometic 12v compressor type fridge, and all camper van 12v LED / 12v fluorescent lighting and the Diesel heater fan. 200w solar may seem a lot, but in our N hemisphere and though into winter months of low sun, panel output is relatively low. Battery capacity you will need approx 160 to 180 Ah. More battery capacity means less 'depth' of cycling and longer battery life.

Hope this helps,

Rob H.

Thank you Rob, did you mount the solar system by your own?

Thank you Rob, did you mount the solar system by your own?
hi top3b,

Yes I did, Two years ago now. The two semi flexible panels were ordered via E bay and came direct from China, (this was a saving over ordering the same panels from UK importer / stockist). Used a Victron solar panel controller to regulate the output which I fed direct (circuit breaker or fuse protected) into the leisure batteries (2 x 90Ah 12v AGM batteries from Alpha batteries. panels were bonded to the roof using Sikaflex AT, (bond the edge of the panels only, and use a thin cord embedded in the Sikaflex to act as a spacer and allow the panel to be cut off in the event of damage requiring replacement). Used a marine deck gland to facilitate cable from external to internal and convoluted cable protector externally to protect from mechanical damage and uv degradation of cabling insulation.

Hope this helps.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Hi Rob,

Can you post some pics?
Thank you
Regards

Hey Rob, how do you find the solar performance in a UK winter out of interest?

Hi top3b,

I'll take a couple of pics and see if I can post them, soon as weather bucks up a little.

Rgrds,

Rob H.

Hi MattBW,

Performance (Amps out of the solar panels) drops off considerably in winter, lower sun, shorter daylight. I've never run out of leisure battery capacity despite hitting the battery bank for longer in the winter evenings with interior lights and the eberspacher, to counterbalance, the 12v fridge does a lot less work in winter. A factor also is my wife and I mainly wild camp, I rarely stop in one place for more than 48 hrs tops so the vehicle alternator contributes its bit to topping up the vehicles three batteries. Out of interest I'm going to try to find out exactly what the solar panels put out on an average winter day with a clamp meter, its proving trickier than I thought it would, The Victron solar controller (Blue Solar MPPT 75/10) has a charging profile that varies over the course of a day, (bulk / absorption and float), plus, another Victron device a Cyrix battery combiner dibs in and out, occasionally feeding amps to or from, the vehicle starter battery dependant if engine /alternator running.

Sorry I can't be more precise on this.

Regards,

Rob H.

That's great, thanks. I appreciate its hard to put exact figures on these things even with a meter. Thats why the personal experiences are so valuable.

I have an 80w panel on my old van and it kicks out good power in the summer and enough in winter to keep my batteries alive and well whilst not in use. Wouldn't add significant extra capacity in winter that's for sure.

I still can't decide if I want to put the solar on the roof of the T5, but I'm definitely tempted.

Back