Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to strap down fridge and best place for it?

Roc1

Roc1

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Total newbies so advice or photos on how to strap down a fridge would be great. Also where do folk like to store it?

I'll be using a 3 seat Beach so wondered if it got in the way much if it's behind the passenger seat both during travel and in camping mode? Appreciate it's more easily accessible there. Can't afford any kind of sliding drawer for the the boot either so didn't know how much of a pain it is to pull the fridge out to get in it if it's under the multiflex?

Also if you put it in the awning when camping how do you power it if on a hook up? Some kind of extension lead from the van?

Thanks for any advice!

Behind the passenger seat and use bungees to attach it to the floor cargo points
Wrap the bungee around the fridge carry handles

Regarding hook up,
You get a cable splitter plug it into the EHU pillar an run two separate cables : one to the van , one to the awning , I’ll post some photos when I find them

This is the EHU pillar, my cable is the lower one with the splitter
One cable goes to the van the other is a camping cable with 3nr 3 pin sockets and a MCB ( for safety)

Hope that makes sense

67F1CB81-E82D-4201-99EC-E659749CC451.jpeg

VW very kindly fitted mine in a unit.;)

The other way to do it is plug 1 EHU cable into the pillar and then put the splitter on a cable end, then run two cable from the splitter , one to van , one to tent / awning

One like this, is the one you put in the awning to run the kettle, fridge etc - available everywhere

Either three or four sockets 7F64D43F-2E1E-46B0-A74D-93A41A3C3CFE.jpeg

[

Last edited:
The other way to do it is plug 1 EHU cable into the pillar and then put the splitter on a cable end, then run two cable from the splitter , one to van , one to tent / awning
That's what I do I have my 25 metre cable from the EHU then split it at the rear with one short cable to the van and a 4 plug extension lead to the awning. The beauty is I can make a brew in the morning without incurring the roth of mrs K.

Make sure you get decent cables, there are two thickness gauge cables available, go for the thicker of the two ( slightly more expensive) but the mm2 of the cable matters for safety

We use a small ratchet strap and position it behind the passenger seat and lashed to the tie down thingys. It’s a little bit of a faf but bonus is you can get to it easily for picnics. I do then move it to the boot when we get to camp and I’ve emptied our stuff. With 4 on board and kids stuff there’s no room in the boot for the fridge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use a small ratchet strap and position it behind the passenger seat and lashed to the tie down thingys. It’s a little bit of a faf but bonus is you can get to it easily for picnics. I do then move it to the boot when we get to camp and I’ve emptied our stuff. With 4 on board and kids stuff there’s no room in the boot for the fridge!

Thanks yeah Got two kids too so boot space will be very precious! I'll get a ratchet strap and put the fridge behind the passenger seat, makes sense. If we're not on hook up it can stay there I guess or push it under the table.

Total newbies so advice or photos on how to strap down a fridge would be great. Also where do folk like to store it?

I'll be using a 3 seat Beach so wondered if it got in the way much if it's behind the passenger seat both during travel and in camping mode? Appreciate it's more easily accessible there. Can't afford any kind of sliding drawer for the the boot either so didn't know how much of a pain it is to pull the fridge out to get in it if it's under the multiflex?

Also if you put it in the awning when camping how do you power it if on a hook up? Some kind of extension lead from the van?

Thanks for any advice!

I strap the fridge through its handles and around the passenger seat. This allows us to open the fridge without unstrapping it.

I have the fridge hardwired to the leisure battery with ring terminals on the battery and Anderson connectors. A 12 volt Anderson connector extension lead is hidden under trim from the front passenger seat to the jack tool box in the boot. A second extension lead runs under trim from the tool box to the tailgate loom, across the tailgate and into the awning casing.

We use a long 12 volt extension lead to power the fridge in the awning from the leisure battery via the awning 12 volt terminal.

If we hookup we hookup the van only, powering awning lighting and the fridge with 12v.

On the odd occasion when we want 240v to power an awning heater, we take it from the 240 socket in the van, or direct from the hookup point. Hookup point to awning, splitter, 1st split for 240 awning power, 2nd split for van power so no need for power cables through windows or shut in doors.

Thanks yeah Got two kids too so boot space will be very precious! I'll get a ratchet strap and put the fridge behind the passenger seat, makes sense. If we're not on hook up it can stay there I guess or push it under the table.

Yeah that’s right. I’ve never left it there because I often have an empty boot and just seems like we could use the living space, but it all takes time moving things about!

Back