Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric kettle or camping/gas kettle?

Hi there,

Newbie here awaiting arrival of out T6 Ocean.

Kettle is the 1st essential bit of kit for us as coffee lovers, and a dog walk always has to start and end with a coffee.

What have people found better and easier to use on every day basics as seen a range of different types of kettles- gas , electric or even proper coffee machines.

Bit confused about access to electricity in the campervan...is there a normal plug socket that you can attach an extension lead to and can have all the luxuries of usual plugs so therefore an electric kettle? Also is the electricity available all the time? How do you charge it up, do you have to have an electrical hook up at home?

Many thanks.
I pack both; a hob and electric kettle plus a Delonghi Nespresso Lattissima. When in a campsite and electricity paid for I use theirs instead of my gas. If we stop for lunch enroute, I use the hob kettle for tea or plunger coffee. CAN'T be without coffee (or vino).

We usually use a whistling kettle on the gas as we don't much bother with getting a hook up. But in the colder months we do pay for a hook up as the interior heater doesn't work without one (a separate story) so I bought a cheap low-wattage kettle to use then & save on gas. It's only small & we leave it at home in the summer anyway.

We are currently away in Europe and found the best solution for coffee loves is a stove top coffee maker. We have just bought one here - it's made by Gat. Really easy to use and very quick. In comparioson the out well collapsible kettle takes ages to boil but if we want hot water we can use the saucepan.

Alpkit Brukit is a top gas powered 'kettle'. Use it all the time in the van but then I don't have a hob.