Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric kettle or camping/gas kettle?

C

CSaville

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi there,

Newbie here awaiting arrival of out T6 Ocean.

Kettle is the 1st essential bit of kit for us as coffee lovers, and a dog walk always has to start and end with a coffee.

What have people found better and easier to use on every day basics as seen a range of different types of kettles- gas , electric or even proper coffee machines.

Bit confused about access to electricity in the campervan...is there a normal plug socket that you can attach an extension lead to and can have all the luxuries of usual plugs so therefore an electric kettle? Also is the electricity available all the time? How do you charge it up, do you have to have an electrical hook up at home?

Many thanks.

You have one 230v 3pin socket at the end of the kitchen unit that works when the Cali is connected to an electric hookup point on a campsite, so you will need a hookup lead for starters approx 20m long. We use a lightweight camping kettle for the gas stove and a small mains kettle for when we are on hookup. We also use a small 4 way socket extension to give us more sockets.

You 100% need a hob kettle for the gas. If you have spare space, and want to save pennies on gas when you've paid to hook up on site, then a low wattage elec travel type kettle is handy.
It's likely you won't have spare space so I'd just go with the hob gas kettle.

The idea with a Cali is to buy things that serve more than purpose, not to take 2 items to do the same job.

If you read the manual you'l find there is a 220v socket on the side of the kitchenunit , this can be used for your expressomachine but only if you are on hook-up that provides enough amp. witch on some sites is not even enough to boil water in a electric boiler.
On the lesurebattery's you will not get to plug in gear that uses more than 150w
Guess you best invest in a ketlle and a campingaz 907

We use this small electric kettle, quick, quiet and fits easily under the shelf in the right hand kitchen cupboard,
Breville VKJ111 White Compact Jug Kettle

We bought a tiny little cheap electric kettle (2 mugs worth ) from the range. Then a funky rubber collapsing one by Outwell that holds way more for the gas. Got to have gas fire those moments at the beach etc away from hook up.

Re coffee, we've tried everything including Handpresso and cafetiere mugs. Lots of messing, lukewarm coffee or grounds everywhere you can't get rid of. Now we just buy Lyons coffee bags from Morrisons (they smell great too!)

Even if you don't drink coffee or thee you still need to boil water to wash up....
Or are you to spend every night on a campsite and always eat out ?

Electric for hook up use, hob for other times, but we like to fill our flask to save the fuss of turning the gas back on on the way home! Also an electric hook up point at home is a good idea.

Take care. As I remember there is a watt limit on the kitchen plug while hooked up? Is it 800W?

But you can buy a splitter for your hookup cable – so you can take power directly from the campsites, and overcome the limits of the cali.

As far (we are also quite new to this) we only bring and use the collapsable kettle from Outwell for producing hot water. Or a italian espresso boiler for gas (we never used that).

I saw one in this forum bring a nespresso machine, but I am not sure if it actually uses more power than recommended on the kitchen plug from VW? But they come quite compact.

images.jpeg 46000_outwell-collaps-kettle-1-5-black_5.jpg

I'm a cheapskate but even I question if carrying 2 kettles is worth it (and I have much more space than most).
If you are taking loads of gear to throw into a drive away awning / large tent, then maybe it's worth it, and you can set it up in there, but for 'minimal hassle' trips, a don't think a few pennies saved compensates for the loss of space and safety risk of trailing cables (attached to boiling water) in such a confined space.

I'm a cheapskate but even I question if carrying 2 kettles is worth it (and I have much more space than most).
If you are taking loads of gear to throw into a drive away awning / large tent, then maybe it's worth it, and you can set it up in there, but for 'minimal hassle' trips, a don't think a few pennies saved compensates for the loss of space and safety risk of trailing cables (attached to boiling water) in such a confined space.
We have both kettles, cadac BBQ, large washing bowl, toaster, and other sundry items all safely stowed in sink units......tea is a no. 1 in our household!

We have a low wattage kettle for when we are on hook up and a small kettle for using on a gas ring when not. Does take up a little more room but if we used gas all the time then we would need to carry more gas canisters anyway. Swings and roundabouts really.

Take care. As I remember there is a watt limit on the kitchen plug while hooked up? Is it 800W?

But you can buy a splitter for your hookup cable – so you can take power directly from the campsites, and overcome the limits of the cali.

The only Watts limitation on using the California mains socket on hookup is determined by the Campsite. Many campsites only offer 6 or 10 amp circuits. Doesn't matter if you use splitters etc. If using only 1 campsite socket then you are limited to that 6 or 10 amps.

The only Watts limitation on using the California mains socket on hookup is determined by the Campsite. Many campsites only offer 6 or 10 amp circuits. Doesn't matter if you use splitters etc. If using only 1 campsite socket then you are limited to that 6 or 10 amps.

Just got time to look it up. As i thought. The limit on the (hookup) kitchen outlet is 2500 w and on the sidepanel (leisure batt.) is 150 W. According to my manual (T6 Ocean). But actual 2500 is quite a lot. I guess it will give up running a coocker, a toaster, a hairdyer while ironing and vacum cleaning though.

Just got time to look it up. As i thought. The limit on the (hookup) kitchen outlet is 2500 w and on the sidepanel (leisure batt.) is 150 W. According to my manual (T6 Ocean). But actual 2500 is quite a lot. I guess it will give up running a coocker, a toaster, a hairdyer while ironing and vacum cleaning though.
Don't forget you also have the Mains Charger requirements to add to that 2500 watts. So if the campsite offers 13 amps then you'll be good to go with upto 2500 watts on the Kitchen mains plug but most campsites seem to offer 10 amps or less so :
10 amps - 2000 w
8 amps - 1500 w
6 amps - 1000 w or thereabouts.

Agree with Welshgas. In Italy and at last campsite the lady wife tripped the elec hook up box at least 4 times, then we realised the 13amps too much!
Reverted to kettle on the gas, traditional style!

Hi there,

Kettle is the 1st essential bit of kit for us as coffee lovers, and a dog walk always has to start and end with a coffee.

What have people found better and easier to use on every day basics as seen a range of different types of kettles- gas , electric or even proper coffee machines.

Bit confused about access to electricity in the campervan...is there a normal plug socket that you can attach an extension lead to and can have all the luxuries of usual plugs so therefore an electric kettle? Also is the electricity available all the time? How do you charge it up, do you have to have an electrical hook up at home?

Many thanks.
We have a Cali and I take a hob kettle along with an electric kettle. I also have the Delonghi
Hi there,

Many thanks.
Hi there,

Many thanks.