Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dsg life

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all
I have owned California’s for many years and always had manuals...all my cars are manual and I ride motorcycles so changing gears is part of my life ...
I’m ordering a new California and as much as I don’t really feel the need for dsg this seems to be the trend in California’s of today...and I’m tempted but I’m on the fence??
I read a lot of plus and negatives on both here and the t6 forum about dsg..
I do use the van all winter so muddy campsites are always part of our journey,we go to the alps every winter so encounter ice frozen roads on French campsites.some times having to juggle the van about on a frozen pitch.also another worry is putting the van on levelling chocks.how do people find the dsg in these situations if you have encountered them????
.never had a problem with my manual but thinking of following the trend and don’t want to regret it....I’m test driving one Saturday morning but obviously this is a short drive in May in none of these situations...
Any help deciding would be much appreciated..
Please don’t turn it into a dsg vs manual though as I have been there and voted manual....;)

Last edited:
I do a lot of driving for work 20k or so and drive an automatic with radar cruise control (ordered same on my Cali).
Before my current car , never felt need for an automatic and always had manuals as this was purer driving experience, more control etc.

However I’m now in my early 50’s and with high mileage I really do love the automatic and I wouldn’t go back - much more relaxing drive etc.

That said if I wasn’t doing the mileage I would have been perfectly happy with manual.
Both are good and it depends on how many miles you plan on doing and wether they are pleasure or business ( thinking rush hour commute vs quieter open roads) also motorway or smaller B roads.
When I test drove my current car and Cali both had the radar cruise which I was speccing but having used it and lived with it - it would be my first option.

Just MHO - enjoy test drive - both are great :thumb

Thankyou....
It’s the small stuff juggling the van about on pitches reversing up icy roads muddy fields that’s concerning me more ....I was also tempted by the acc until they told me after fitting the lowering springs it would have to to be re calibrated for around 4hrs at £80 an hour...WOW!!!!!!!

I'm on my 2nd DSG cali and never had any issues with controlling power application or anything like that. Much like feeling the bite point on a manual clutch, you control rate of power application on the accelerator. Sure, if you are binary them you can shoot off or spin the wheels, much the same as in a manual, but otherwise ramps, reversing on a slope etc are no problem to control. Tyre choice will be a factor in muddy fields, ice etc, same as manual, but close control is not a problem with DSG in my experience.

Thankyou....
It’s the small stuff juggling the van about on pitches reversing up icy roads muddy fields that’s concerning me more ....I was also tempted by the acc until they told me after fitting the lowering springs it would have to to be re calibrated for around 4hrs at £80 an hour...WOW!!!!!!!
I have the 4Motion. I cover 20k miles/year as I am retired . The DSG is not an Automatic with a Torque Converter. It is totally different and has its own idiosyncrasies that have to be learned, easily done, and will adapt to your driving style. Tyres are the most important factor on any vehicle and 4Seasons are a must as far as I am concerned. It has Sports mode, extremely useful on hilly windy roads and a Manual Function, although the computer watches over this function to some extent so that you cannot over Rev etc:.
It will be your decision in the long run but from what I can see the Manual gearboxes are being gradually phased out due to emissions control, so you may not have much of a choice.
I’m touring Norway at present and on the backroads the DSG is a dream to drive. Fine manoeuvres are no problem and my next California will have DSG.

I have no issues personally with DSG accidentally acquired on preregistered T5 (meet all requirements except DSG) on looking for the 2nd van the only compromise I would not make was DSG or not in the running. Daily drive reversing out of our drive no issues.

I have the 4Motion. I cover 20k miles/year as I am retired . The DSG is not an Automatic with a Torque Converter. It is totally different and has its own idiosyncrasies that have to be learned, easily done, and will adapt to your driving style. Tyres are the most important factor on any vehicle and 4Seasons are a must as far as I am concerned. It has Sports mode, extremely useful on hilly windy roads and a Manual Function, although the computer watches over this function to some extent so that you cannot over Rev etc:.
It will be your decision in the long run but from what I can see the Manual gearboxes are being gradually phased out due to emissions control, so you may not have much of a choice.
I’m touring Norway at present and on the backroads the DSG is a dream to drive. Fine manoeuvres are no problem and my next California will have DSG.
Thankyou the 4season box is on the wish list had them on the last California and they are indeed fantastic

There are two situations that I find...awkward, rather than difficult... but I have accommodated them and so they have become much less of an issue.

At roundabouts, in a manual vehicle, you can move quickly into a space after braking and can do this without thinking. Try this with DSG and the box will delay a couple of seconds to select the right gear. A heart-stopping moment, but If you don't rush the box, you soon learn how to cope.
Taking your foot off the brake and letting the van creep forward for a second will allow a quick acceleration from standstill.

Going slowly up ramps is never easy. With an auto gearbox, you are waiting for the box to bite and when it is slow in doing so, inevitably putting your foot down more. Then when it does bite, you rush up the ramp forcing you to brake quickly to avoid going over the end. Again you learn to take it slowly to let the box bite and all is fine.

The rest of the time the gearbox is really smooth and effortless, kicking down and holding gear in Sports mode when I want it to. Maybe it's an age thing, but now I would not go back to a manual box.

P.S. I should add that the Anti Rollback feature is a godsend on an incline.

Alan

Last edited:
It does take a little time to adapt to driving a DSG, so if your not used to one, you don't always get the full picture on a short test drive.

I would also agree with a previous post, when buying my next Cali the only thing I could not live without is the DSG

On our third Cali now, the first two were manual but on ordering the current one the manual was not available so was disappointed.
Now driven one, I will admit not very far and not yet onto ramps its ok, I would not say brilliant but I have never seriously driven an auto only a Merc EPS artic many many years ago.
if I was given the choice I would go for a manual at this present time, been driving for 38 years and its a hard habit to break. I just like being in control of the lump of steel I'm driving, plus I feel myself going for the clutch on occasions :headbang I think the manual has had its day due to as mentioned by another poster emissions but this is due to average drivers. manufactures cant guarantee the driving style of their customers so an auto is the safest choice. When I used to drive trucks and you got 6/8 MPG loaded you were taught to keep it in the green and other ways of saving fuel, but average car/van drivers are just that, average so the auto helps with this IMHO.

Normally if I wasn’t sure about something I wouldn’t do it,
What I have to think of is resale too..The majority in fact all of the ones on das welt are dsg...if it was 50/50 I would probably go manual...

We’ve just got our beach, it’s a 150 dsg. My other car (golf diesel) is manual and until recently I drove 25,000 a year in it. We’ve done around 1000 miles now in the beach and I do on occasion miss the control of a manual. Manoeuvring I find better with a manual, but on balance for big trips, town driving, and combined with the adaptive cruise, the dsg is very good. It’s not as slow as some other auto or dual clutch hire cars I’ve tried. It’s smooth and very easy.
I do always feel like it’s in one gear higher than I’d like to be and you don’t have that engine breaking feeling of control you get with a manual, but I have the paddles and there’s always sport mode which will hold a gear longer. Paddles very quick to respond and useful at times when coasting downhill. We didn’t like the coasting function, felt van was getting away from you down hill, turned that off. I haven’t driven the manual beach, struggled to find one to try so in the end went with the flow and bought a dsg, don’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you just touch the brake when you feel its running away it selects a lower gear and holds your speed, touch the throttle again and it will go back into coast, or if needs be keep braking and it will go down the box to suit road speed..

I had to google the coasting function, my petrol 204 DSG doesn’t have this function.

I have covered 16000 miles in my California with the DSG. Previously I had a Golf DSG which I covered 80000 miles in.

Initially in the California the gearbox wasn’t as transparent as the golf, over a fairly short period it either learned my driving style or I got more used to it. It’s brilliant, I have been over a mountain top in fresh deep snow, with winter tyres and 2WD and it was confidence inspiring. Very low speed manoeuvring takes some getting used to initially, but once you are it’s no problem.
There has been a recent thread about poor control reversing uphill and a delayed power engagement on some 199 DSG diesels, I have no experience of this but you should probably check it out before you decide.

We got our first California in February with the 199PS engine and DSG and took it at the beginning of March for two weeks down through France/Spain to Valencia and back. A 3000 mile trip on every type of road ie motorway, A road, town, alpine type mountain and off road in Spain for a long distance. Couldn’t fault the gearbox at any stage especially in the mountains around Valencia. On tight steep single track roads on hairpin bends it was in the right gear every time and we could hear and feel it change down one / two gears as required approaching uphill bends - amazing. Never ‘hunted’ for a gear and alway a relaxed and effortless drive.

Manoevering on sites on and off chicks and parking in towns etc equally good.

Wouldn’t contemplate another California without a DSG

Hi all
I have owned California’s for many years and always had manuals...all my cars are manual and I ride motorcycles so changing gears is part of my life ...
I’m ordering a new California and as much as I don’t really feel the need for dsg this seems to be the trend in California’s of today...and I’m tempted but I’m on the fence??
I read a lot of plus and negatives on both here and the t6 forum about dsg..
I do use the van all winter so muddy campsites are always part of our journey,we go to the alps every winter so encounter ice frozen roads on French campsites.some times having to juggle the van about on a frozen pitch.also another worry is putting the van on levelling chocks.how do people find the dsg in these situations if you have encountered them????
.never had a problem with my manual but thinking of following the trend and don’t want to regret it....I’m test driving one Saturday morning but obviously this is a short drive in May in none of these situations...
Any help deciding would be much appreciated..
Please don’t turn it into a dsg vs manual though as I have been there and voted manual....;)
I was very uncertain about ordering dsg. In the end I had no choice. Took a bit of getting used to but I've not yet had the van three months and am pleased. Very smooth and less tiring. I have an awkward down and up from my drive but once I'd worked out how much pressure on the pedal I needed it is fine. Not tried levellers but I crept into
tight spots on ferries with no problem.

I have covered 16000 miles in my California with the DSG. Previously I had a Golf DSG which I covered 80000 miles in.

Initially in the California the gearbox wasn’t as transparent as the golf, over a fairly short period it either learned my driving style or I got more used to it. It’s brilliant, I have been over a mountain top in fresh deep snow, with winter tyres and 2WD and it was confidence inspiring. Very low speed manoeuvring takes some getting used to initially, but once you are it’s no problem.
There has been a recent thread about poor control reversing uphill and a delayed power engagement on some 199 DSG diesels, I have no experience of this but you should probably check it out before you decide.

Took out a 150 dsg this morning,,
Reversing up steep hills at the dealers it felt smooth no mad take off like I read about?
Did a 8point turn in the dealer carpark it was tight but. No problems..it’s just like a clutch feeding it slowly in.
I like it ..uncertainty about real life muddy campsites and icy pitches in the alps at winter but up until now I like it..ok you don’t have the control of a manual...this is something I have to research more I think....cheers for all the advice up to now ,,,please keep it coming...

Im a manual man at heart but not when i just want to cruise and get there. The DSG is a fairly good automated manual but a so so automatic.
Twin clutch box,s like DSG are really a very good sequential box so beloved of the fast car brigade due to fast gear changes but the reality is thats of zero relevance in a cali hence why its a misfit. Ironically at its design best in manual mode just not in a cali.
Having said all that that it does settle in and with this type of vehicle i would still choose it over manual. Equally nowt wrong with a manual and I could live with either.

The lower emissions is a double edge sword as yes less CO2 but as a result the box is nearly always in an unresponsive high ratio, this happens in high performance applications as well. You cant ignore the change up light like in a manual because neither box can see the topography ahead. The high torque turbo helps no end in covering this up though.
As pointed out Auto is the future like it or not and if economics come into it then you need to pay less for a manual and expect less when selling.

The DSG box is great, three modes, normal auto, sports and manual.

I do like to ensure the engine is not loaded unnecessarily, having driven manually most of my adult life, similarly I like to use the engine to break when approaching junctions, down hill etc.

I use the normal auto most of the time, but regularly drop it into manual for engine breaking and where a free reving engine is better than one under load (I.e one gear down from where the Auto setting selects, typically on an incline)
As mentioned by a previous op, the manual mode is still monitored by the computer, for example you approach a roundabout in 3rd gear and you have to come to a stop , the computer will change the gear to 1st gear, so pulling away is a breeze.

The sports mode is great when you require a quicker response and more Rev range, hills and overtaking etc.

Using the DSG box in all three modes has become second nature and is a pleasure to drive.

The “learning” of your particular driving style, by the gearbox, is a relatively quick thing. If you drive in auto all the time.

The coast function is fantastic and I have no doubt improves MPG and allows the manufacturer to achieve the necessary regulatory figures. Dabbing the break when going downhill will drop the gear to control speed and increase engine breaking ( coupled with the incline sensors fitted as standard)

In short the DSG gearbox is infact three options in one package ! Use all three are to be used to your advantage and driving style.

I have Normal Cruise control and that works really well with the DSG box when cruising at a steady speed.

Personally if I had the choice again, I would opt for DSG and ACC (ACC for congested motorway driving)

Well after much reading and changing my mind I stuck with manual.
i drove a dsg and it was nice definitely.
but I think for now I’ll stick to me controlling the Gearbox rather than a computer..
I did take a Kombi 150 dsg out and it didn’t suffer from what people described as reversing up hill issues ?or delays at roundabouts ?
But this was an empty Kombi not a fully loaded California...maybe next time or by the looks of it I won’t have a choice...this will be the very last of the t6s..I really don’t want a 6.1 I think I’ll let them stand the test of time first.and I’m more into the look of the t6 in all honesty.not sure I like that t6.1 front end.

Back