Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions on Flappy Paddle Option on California T6 Ocean DSG

It bears similarities to my Dad's Robin Reliant :shocked

That was round and had no paddles either :Stig

It bears similarities to my Dad's Robin Reliant :shocked

That was round and had no paddles either :Stig

If your Dad had got the Reliant with the paddles it would have been a hoot to drive.

I give a v concrete example. In the Lamborghini/R8 you can drive at 35mph in 6th gear or say 80mph in 2nd.

This means that if you are driving say 60mph in 6th and need to kick down 4 gears, 4 v quick taps on the flappy pedal box drop you down to 2nd and higher RPM in no time. The car can handle it, and then some. Doing this via the manual gear lever in same time is close to impossible. This is the great advantage of the paddles over the steptronic manual lever.

I'm struggling to see how often this is going to be of much use - I've always found the 140bhp engine in the SE to sound somewhat strained everytime i've put it in 2nd when doing 60mph, also when trying to get it to go that quick the washing up in the sink rattles too much & the water slops around.

------ deleted -----wasn't supposed to be Mines bigger than yours etc - more trying to make the point that the ability to change down to 2nd at 60mph in order to accelerate faster has a very limited practical use on uk roads,

Last edited:
I'm struggling to see how often this is going to be of much use - I've always found the 140bhp engine in the SE to sound somewhat strained everytime i've put it in 2nd when doing 60mph, also when trying to get it to go that quick the washing up in the sink rattles too much & the water slops around.

In my other vehicle though, that has similar performance to your 5000BHP monster, I find that the only place I would use 2nd at 60mph is somewhere like the limehouse link tunnel with the exhaust in sports mode & the windows wound down.

5000bhp monster? Not quite. Only about 550bhp. But that is without turbo or supercharger.

In Germany, I do kick down to 2nd at 60mph, and only need to shift up to 3rd at 80mph and then 4th around 110mph. V high revving engine that redlines at 9,000 RPM.

I tried shifting down in Cali from gentle 3rd to 2nd and it immediately redlined at 5,000rpm. This with a lot of noise and little performance car.

Btw, Limehouse link? You are a brave man to rev your car there!

To get this back to topic, and away from "mine's bigger than your's".....

I really cannot see any use for paddle shift in a cali.

Agreed, on both fronts.

That said, I dare not upset the mystical and fragile Cali ordering process by enquiring of VW whether said wheel will or won't turn up with flappy embellishments, so I'll wait and see what pops out (as we did with the anklebiters...). :)

I would probably pay ÂŁ60 NOT to have them as personally would not have a Cali without DSG and in that combination it does not need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To get this back to topic, and away from "mine's bigger than your's".....

I really cannot see any use for paddle shift in a cali.

Was no attempt on mine bigger than yours!

There was rather a semi technical explanation (I am no automotive engineer) plus experience of where/when flappy paddles prove useful.

I shall rest my opinion: they help with dTorque/dt, given certain engine displacements and characteristics. Those seem not to apply for the Cali.

I wasn't either. That said, mine is definitely smaller. I am very technical though and therfore know what to do with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,
When ordering my California last week I was asked whether I wanted to add the option of a flappy paddle with the DSG gearbox (they apparently sit on each side of the back of the steering wheel columns). I just wondered whether anyone had any experience of them, especially on a Cali, and if you thought they were useful and worth getting. Also are there any negatives to having them ie. can you catch them by mistake and knock into manual. Any comments most appreciated as I'll have to make a decision soon if I'm going to add them as an option.
Played with manual DSG shifting on the lever. Auto does it way smarter, smoother :)
Had those on other vehicle and used them twice for fun in like 6 years.

I wasn't either. That said, mine is definitely smaller. I am very technical though and therfore know what to do with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

How technical?

Technical in the British sense (I am handy with screw driver) or techical in that Johny foreigner sense ("undergrad/postgrad/work experience") sense?

:)

IMO Its an excellent option to have - the display scroll through gives interesting data, especially on a long run and the addition of flappy paddles allow you to pre-select the best gear for overtaking or downhill engine braking in hilly/mountainous/scenic areas- all available without having to take your hands off the wheel.

IMO most Cali owners do well to drive a manual, never mind let them lose with paddle shift. DSG is very good on its own. L

How technical?

Technical in the British sense (I am handy with screw driver) or techical in that Johny foreigner sense ("undergrad/postgrad/work experience") sense?

:)

More the later. My days of weilding a screwdriver and making it look like I know what I am doing have long passed..

Are the paddles the only difference between two multifunction wheels? (When opting for DSG & ACC you get to choose between two msw) Any other differences such as size, button layouts, leather.... Pictures with and without paddles would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the paddles the only difference between two multifunction wheels? (When opting for DSG & ACC you get to choose between two msw) Any other differences such as size, button layouts, leather.... Pictures with and without paddles would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk < aaaaargh!
no, there is also a difference between Cruise control and active cruise control. ACC has the distance control button.

no, there is also a difference between Cruise control and active cruise control. ACC has the distance control button.
Hmmm, because when I choose ACC (with DSG) I get two wheels. Difference is 100€. So both should have distance control button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Mine also does not have the paddles. Looks like I could be getting money back from my dealer!

View attachment 17166
Did you order code ZEA for your steering wheel? ZEA is the VW Code for the MFSW with paddles. ZE7 is without paddles.

Neither :
2ZH = Leather multi-function steering wheel
TJ, you are correct but that was only true in August 2015. The codes I quoted above are current today for new ordered Calis.

TJ, you are correct but that was only true in August 2015. The codes I quoted above are current today for new ordered Calis.

Hi Jabberwocky. Where did you get such good info re paddle shift on DSG orders?
My order went through in October and following the Cofigurator I ordered the more expensive MFSW with displays etc.
The configurator shows nothing about paddles at present.
Do you think I should automatically get the paddles, which I want, as it was a post August order?

Back