Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driveway Awning

Princess Doris

Princess Doris

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Following our introductory post few days ago.
Looking to accessorise our Ocean.
A big purchase in mind is a driveaway awning.
Initially being drawn to 2 options.

1. Vango Magra Air Low
2. Kampa Domestic Touring Air

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Sam and Julie

We have been looking at driveaway awnings too, though rather smaller ones would be fine for our needs, and take up less space in the boot!

Anyway, one thing to check is how the sliding door being on the driver’s side would affect things. Looks like the Vango has an entrance at either end, so would fine, but I am not sure about the Kampa..? Depends which way you like your van to be parked on the pitch.

Also, is the groundsheet sewn in or detachable? We prefer the flexibility of detachable, but there are pros and cons.

Seeing awnings in a showroom made a big difference to us. As a brand this made us prefer Kampa to Vango and Outdoor Revolution - we thought the styling and materials were slightly better, but it’s a personal thing really.

Thanks for the reply. We saw the Vango at the exhibition last October and we liked the fact it had front and rear entrances.
We saw the Kampa online and it comes in left and right hand versions. It is maybe on the big side for us but that's not a problem.
Why do you prefer Kampa as a brand over Vango ?
And can you advise what showroom it can be seen.
Sam and Julie

I’ve not seen the Kampa awning you mention. Friends have another Kampa awning, for their larger conversion, which I’ve helped to put up. That one has a separate groundsheet, which allows drafts in, and the pegging and tensioning system is complex. I see on the spec that the Touring Air also has a separate groundsheet, so for us this would be a no go. However the Vango Magra isn’t a fair comparison to the layout of the Kampa Touring Air, it’s quite a bit smaller. A better comparison would be the Vango Galli III. This also has a porch. It depends what you want really, the pack sizes are quite different, and so is the accommodation, as is the price.

We have 2 awnings, depending on the venue and number of family members camping. We have a Vango Kela V TC, similar in size to the Magra. Also have a Vango Galli III TC.

Also take a look at the Vango Versos. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago but have not yet had chance to test it out. Saw it up at the NEC though and was very impressed. I also have the Galli III CC but it’s huge!

Galli III Low RSV (right sided vehicle) here.

Fantastic awning in terms of quality and size for a family of four. A bit cumbersome and heavy and we only put it up if we're staying 5+ nights for that very reason.

We simply preferred the colours, materials and styling of the Kampa. Just a more modern look to our eyes..

We saw a good selection at Attwools near Gloucester. Worth phoning round bigger camping places to see what they have on display near to where you live.

Best of all, if you can wait, go to one of the big Campervan and Motorhome shows (eg at the NEC) - everything under one roof And sometimes discounted prices.

Galli III Low RSV (right sided vehicle) here.

Fantastic awning in terms of quality and size for a family of four. A bit cumbersome and heavy and we only put it up if we're staying 5+ nights for that very reason.
We have the compact version (family of 3). It's slightly less bulky but we still only use it staying multiple nights. The porch at the front is very useful for sheltered outdoor cooking but could be improved with the option of a zip-on door or porch extension to keep the wind out. The connection to the van is funnelled rather than straight-sided so doesn't create the same useable space as eg the Vango Keka, but then that model doesn't have a covered porch. We sometimes create extra space by using in combination with the wind-out awning and side panels - as per profile pic.

We have been looking at driveaway awnings too, though rather smaller ones would be fine for our needs, and take up less space in the boot!

Anyway, one thing to check is how the sliding door being on the driver’s side would affect things. Looks like the Vango has an entrance at either end, so would fine, but I am not sure about the Kampa..? Depends which way you like your van to be parked on the pitch.

Also, is the groundsheet sewn in or detachable? We prefer the flexibility of detachable, but there are pros and cons.

Seeing awnings in a showroom made a big difference to us. As a brand this made us prefer Kampa to Vango and Outdoor Revolution - we thought the styling and materials were slightly better, but it’s a personal thing really.
I have a vango Air Palm with detachable groundsheet advertised on this site. It takes me just over 10 mins to have fully pitched on my own. Just thought you may be interested.

We have a Kampa Touring Air and it has been brilliant. The bedroom pod comes as standard, not an extra which is great for extra people to sleep in, as a changing room or for a Porta Potti. You can buy zip on extras for the front to make it huge if you want. Easy to put up and take down.

Hi have a Kampa Touring Air TC, being frank it’s the only large TC option that is correctly handed for the Cali, the Vango TC is the wrong way round, but a very nice awning, and the Outdoor Revolution T4e doesn’t come in TC in Cali side configuration, this was the one I really wanted after looking at all three as it has the add on options available too

I bought an awning two weeks ago ( not had a chance to try it yet ). I went to A and E leisure in Cheshire so I could have a good look at them. I ended up buying an Outdoor Revolution T3E Euro. The euro versions fits the Cali correctly on the RHS. The T4E does also have a euro version. Worth a look on the Outdoor revolution website or a visit to a showroom that can show you awnings set up.

Hi have a Kampa Touring Air TC, being frank it’s the only large TC option that is correctly handed for the Cali, the Vango TC is the wrong way round, but a very nice awning, and the Outdoor Revolution T4e doesn’t come in TC in Cali side configuration, this was the one I really wanted after looking at all three as it has the add on options available too
Hi, just started looking at awnings, what do you mean when you say wrong way around for a Cali?

Hi
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far. We found A&E leisure online yesterday. As its only a short drive for us, going to visit and get a feel for the different makes and styles.
Best wishes
Sam and Julie

We had a drive away awning for the two of us. Gave it away after three uses. Horrible thing. Pain to put up, pain to take down, pain to store in the van especially when wet, pain to dry out when wet, wrecked the view out from the van, always worried about punching a hole in the floor - will stop there. If there are more than two of you then I can see the need for the additional space. If only two then save the money and enjoy a few trips to the pub. Horrible things!

We love our hexaway awning as it creates a lovely space to spend an evening or a rainy afternoon. Bought it as we occasionally take my sister in law and her dog with us and it makes a Cali work for 3 adults and a large dog.

IMG_4054.jpeg

1. Vango Magra Air Low

Thanks
Sam and Julie
End of day you need to choose the one works best for you. There are only 2.5 of us and we wanted something compact so the Vango Tolga works for is. In fact just aired it out, cleaned and repacked today. We only use if staying more than one day and more when it is not summer. For those other times we have the side panels to give some privacy and just use the wind out awning more.

1. Vango Magra Air Low

Thanks
Sam and Julie
Hi. Another vote for Vango Galli. We are family of 3 plus large dog. Drive away awning is essential for us if we are staying more then one night. I know Galli is big and bulky but never had a problem to find a space in the car (or on the bikerack) to take with us. But like someone mentioned you need to find what works for you. No experience with different awning so I can’t recomend anything else then Galli.

1. Vango Magra Air Low

Thanks
Sam and Julie
IMG_8343.jpeg
We decided against the awning idea and went for the awning room. Literally 10 minutes to put up and to take down. Hardly takes up any space in the boot. Works well for us (family of 4) as we can use for a couple of nights away or a weeks stay. I’ve owned many awnings in the past and putting them up can be a challenge. Putting them away in the rain can be a nightmare and some take up a lot of boot space. You’ll have to decide whats best for your set up but if it was me I would go away a couple of times first and then decide if i really needed one.

Hi, just started looking at awnings, what do you mean when you say wrong way around for a Cali?
I mean that some awnings that are not correctly handed for the Cali will put the entrance door at the back of the Cali, which may or may not be a problem depending on your point of view, the Kampa one gives you the option to pick which one you want :thumb Vango dropped offering a Cali one a few years ago, outdoor revolution do give the option on the T4e but only in polyester rather than technical cotton, hopefully that makes sense.

I mean that some awnings that are not correctly handed for the Cali will put the entrance door at the back of the Cali, which may or may not be a problem depending on your point of view, the Kampa one gives you the option to pick which one you want :thumb Vango dropped offering a Cali one a few years ago, outdoor revolution do give the option on the T4e but only in polyester rather than technical cotton, hopefully that makes sense.
The VERSOS does the same, which is one of the reasons I bought it, it gives you flexibility in setup which is important with tthe door being 'wrong side'.

versos.png

A lot of people have mentioned boot space. It took us a while to get our heads around it but you can move the bench all the way forward when you're travelling. Obvs. Which we do now.

It creates a massive gap between the back of the SpaceMate and the back of the bench and in there goes our awning, Duvalay and chairs and any other items of that ilk. Has the benefit of making the back flat so no issues seeing through the window.

Then when on site we just pull it all out, pop it up, bench back, Bobs yr Uncle.

Back