Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning

John

John

VIP Member
Original post smithy

We are in two minds if to get a drive away awning? Do they take up much room and is it worth erecting for just weekend breaks

Ta

Linda

Hi Linda

The Khyam Motordome Classic is very popular with Cali owners as it is very quick and easy to erect. The poles are all linked together by special joints that clip into place. And you can get a inner tent if you need to use it for sleeping.

When packed up into it's single bag it is about the same size as a medium tent bag.

Have a look at this link

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=740 ... =Motordome Classic

Another option is one of the larger pop up tents as they again are quick to erect and are a great place to throw all your loose gear on your site pitch. Martin uses this option.

Original post red4reimo

I've got an (old) Motordome Classic and am a big fan of it. I bought cheap first and have bought twice! They are a good size when erected, not too big when packed and reasonably sturdy. Compared with other models, it goes up in a flash.

However, towards the end of the year I started to try and cope without it on short trips. It is so much simpler to just turn up on site, lift the roof and put the kettle on. (vs. getting sweaty sticking up an awning and 'unpacking'). Ditto when it comes to move on.

My advice would be to try and perfect your packing / cooking etc so you can enjoy long weekends without a (drive away) awning.

We'll no doubt get many differing views!

Original post Calikev

I agree I had an awning with my last t5 it was a pain in the end putting up and taking down
The wind always seemed to get up when the awning came out. I just use the wind out awning with a windbreak for privacy on a long weekend. I don't like to stay anywhere long enough to put one up.it does make good viewing when you watch the caravan next to you spend all afternoon setting up while you sit and drink tea.

Original post alf170

Which windbreak do you use Kev? Looking at getting one to contain the dogs for the short stops. And never takes me more than 20 to put up my caravan awning from start to finish- I've never really understood how folk can take hours to put them up. If staying for more than 48 hours worth the time investment for comfy life, less than that, does get marginal.

Original post Calikev

Hi alf I use the vango 4pole windbreak only takes me
5 mins to put up just give a little bit of shelter and privacy
Think I paid about £45 for it

Original post alf170

Roger that. Quick look on google, open sided so wouldn't contain the hounds. 2 might do it though. Google search brought up the Jormax but blinkin expensive. Doubt Mrs Santa would see the funny side of £300 windbreak having just bought the Cali. Might get away with £90 on 2 four pole Vangos.

Original post Calikev

have one of those screw in dog stays to attach the lead to.£300 for a windbreak wow
You could by a decent awning for that.

Original post alf170

Agree, already have a screw in dog stay to attach them to and I think a full khyam awning is less that £300. The Vango option is growing on me.