Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning on Awning

A

Anonymous

Guest User
Original post by Guest

Hello,

We are picking up a new Olympian blue 180 se in two days. Bottom of the learning curve generally.

I would like to understand whether any additional attachments are required to attach a drive away awning (probably go for a khyam Motordome Classic) to the vehicle in conjunction with the pre-fitted roll out awning.

Thanks.

Original post by Chris

Check out all those points that rub against the van and cassette box. Personal I would go for a stand alone utility tent.

Have got new Cali without the common awning. I want to get a custom made one that slides on and gives a full sleeping area. Anyone got any experiences with this?

bowlerhatman said:
Have got new Cali without the common awning. I want to get a custom made one that slides on and gives a full sleeping area. Anyone got any experiences with this?

You can use any driveaway style awning on your Cali rails without the wind out style awning on it ... :)....
You can put awnings ,sun shades or wind outs on either side of your Cali even both at the same time ... :) lol

Was that what you wanted to know ???

You need to use a Kador connection and connection strip, which makes it really easy when going out for the day to unattach and re-attach the Khyam to the sun canopy. Whats nice here is to add the sun canopy sides, which gives you a nice bit of privacy.

HTH

Hi

We have got a Khyam Motordome Sleeper - saw a couple at COTF using the Kador strip - didn't realise there were different sizes to order. Does anybody know what size I need - 6mm to 6mm or 4mm to 6mm seem common...

Cheers

Andy

Langers said:
Hi

We have got a Khyam Motordome Sleeper - saw a couple at COTF using the Kador strip - didn't realise there were different sizes to order. Does anybody know what size I need - 6mm to 6mm or 4mm to 6mm seem common...

Cheers

Andy

Hi andy ... Glad u had a good time at cotf 2013. ..:)
I have the motordome ..I use a 6mmx6mm kador strip .. I found the 6x4
Pulls out the awning on the Cali slightly when fitted and tensioned ....
So as used both I'd say 6x6 :)

I use a 6mm x 4mm under quite a bit of tension and wind at this weekends event without difficulty....

Previously I have used a 6mm bead that will go into the small kador on my factory awning, it does fit, but is tight and if you get it wet etc. I think it will become tricky to slide!

Conflict or interested 4 or 6 rrz ...Lol

It was good to meet you at the meet :)

Thanks all - gonna start with some 6 x 6 and see how I get on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have the 6x4 Kador strip and find that if I just yank it into the channel, it gets stuck between being in the channel and out. A quick jiggle and it fits in fine, or just take a little more time and it goes in a treat.

Just thought I would update you on what I have found.

6x6 should fit, but the strip I ordered had quite a bulky fabric surrounding the beading and so was practically impossible to fit. Certainly no good for quick getaways.

I replaced with 6x4 from a different supplier. Unsurprisingly the 4mm fits, but so does the 6mm as the fabric surrounding the bead was slightly thinner and smoother, therefore much easier to slide in and out than the first strip I ordered.

So in conclusion 6x6 should be fine unless you are unlucky and buy from a supplier that is using slightly bulkier fabric! 6x4 will be OK in all eventualities and if the wind was strong enough to pull the 4mm beading out you would probably be having much bigger problems anyway!!!

Nice one langers :)
I must admit my 4x6 was very loose in the awning and pulled out and got stuck
,so the 6x6 is perfect. ,but good to find out some materials used are making it to big for the channel .. Mine are close wound thin and shinny and assumed they all was the same ....

for those without the common fitted awning who want to fit a Motordome drive away awning and find the Kador strip a pain to thread in when under tension I may have a easier way. Khyam sell a pole and clamp kit £36 approx inc del but you can achieve the same thing by going to B&Q buy 6 metres of 21.5mm Floplast plastic overflow waste pipe -approx £2.50 + one straight connecter £1.00 cut it in half to fit the awning channel. Next, any good camping shop buy two pole clamps £2.50. Thread the pipe through the sleeve of the M/D and simply place the pipe on the top of the awning channel of the Cali. The clamps fit nicely in the awning channel and in the gaps provided in the Khyam sleeve of the awning. This has the advantage over the Kador strip of putting the connecting flap between van and M/D higher so reducing the risk of snagging flap when opening side door. This works for my Cali, 2013 model, which has a wide gutter above the Kador strip channel. Paul. ;)

sheesh this thread is doing my head in..very interested in attaching driveaway awning to sun canopy but read and re read and cant make head nor tail of how to! really should have paid more attention at COTF..an anyone post a pic or a drawing to explain whats what?
kim

Hi - you need a Kador strip and figure of 8 (fig of 8 normally comes with awning, but you need to buy Kador strip)

then, watch the 'cassette awning' video at this page - it shows a Cali being connected to the Sun Canopy/Factory fit awning.

The video can be found under the section called 'Motordome Awning Connection Videos'

http://www.khyam.co.uk/detail.asp?p=740 ... =Motordome Classic

We used 6 x 6 Kador to attach the Khyam to our Cali - fitted snugly, but well.

Hope this helps
Ian

khyam just sent me a 7x6 Kador when I ordered mine from them at the NEC show...presuming that will do the trick as well as the 6x6 mentioned above? It's all a bit academic until I actually get my van and can figure out what they heck you're all talking about...!

I use 6x4 kador for a motor dome classic.
I also have an Outdoor Revolution awning which has two side panels that can be zipped out and a bedroom zipped on. This means that the awning floor space stays the same - you don't lose living space like you do with internal sleeping compartments.

Langers said:
Just thought I would update you on what I have found.

6x6 should fit, but the strip I ordered had quite a bulky fabric surrounding the beading and so was practically impossible to fit. Certainly no good for quick getaways.

I replaced with 6x4 from a different supplier. Unsurprisingly the 4mm fits, but so does the 6mm as the fabric surrounding the bead was slightly thinner and smoother, therefore much easier to slide in and out than the first strip I ordered.

So in conclusion 6x6 should be fine unless you are unlucky and buy from a supplier that is using slightly bulkier fabric! 6x4 will be OK in all eventualities and if the wind was strong enough to pull the 4mm beading out you would probably be having much bigger problems anyway!!!

Hi, which supplier did you use in the end? Thanks