Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do you use your inverter socket at all?

The link suggests it is a travel adaptor to accept a UK 3 pin plug. The invertor socket on the Cali (presume you mean under the drivers seat) is 3 pin. This plug can be used for small appliances such a laptop when not using EHU.

Mines a t5.1 so the inverter socket is on the kitchen and type C.

Beware of using the inverter socket in older vans because there is a impure sinus when not using EHU. This can cause damage to your atached equipment. From the T6.1 there is a pure sinus.
I hope that “impure” is the right word for it.

Beware of using the inverter socket in older vans because there is a impure sinus when not using EHU. This can cause damage to your atached equipment. From the T6.1 there is a pure sinus.
You're correct on impure. A change - it should be sine wave and not sinus.

Yes, the old inverters up to the t6 output an impure sine wave which can (rather will) damage electronic equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

When I made inquiries at VW regarding the "pureness" of the socket on the T6.1 they refused to commit. I assume it's closer to pure than previous models but not as good as the the electric grid. The mosquito repellant that I plugged in failed badly, whether for sine waviness or other reasons I don't know, but use it with caution.

So maybe not wise to charge mobile phones by it then?
I knew I hadn’t found it yet for a good reason :)

I can’t think of a good reason to use it tbh. So much is usb now. Laptop charging is a good one but I wouldn’t trust that.
A local wattage heated blanket would be good for my wife however on chilly days out.

The link suggests it is a travel adaptor to accept a UK 3 pin plug. The invertor socket on the Cali (presume you mean under the drivers seat) is 3 pin. This plug can be used for small appliances such a laptop when not using EHU.
The OP has a T5. Different socket to the T6.1.

Can the inverters be changed in T6 and older easily to enable a pure sine wave and make the socket useful ? Thanks in advance

Can the inverters be changed in T6 and older easily to enable a pure sine wave and make the socket useful ? Thanks in advance
Everything is possible but i schould not do it. The only problem with an impure sine is when your charger is connected to your equipment by induction. When it is connected with a plug then there is no problem. So e.g. a toothbrush with induction charger: no.

So maybe not wise to charge mobile phones by it then?
I knew I hadn’t found it yet for a good reason :)
It will fry the charger first before anything happens to your phone. So all good. It may cause a fire, but your phone will be safe! So don't worry

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

my hoover and blue tooth loud jbl speaker came with 240v chargers. i charge both on the inverter off grid and when driving,no issues

All chargers for laptops etc will rectify the AC after a transformer.
So no issues to use it to supply power to a laptop charger (I used it to charge my macs)
If you used the inverter output to power an AC motor then you'd have potentially power losses and heat due to the higher frequencies of the badly approximated sinus wave.

Having said that, because my mac charger is heavy and bulky, I usually charge it straight from the Cali kitchen USB and do not bother taking the charger with me.

Bosch unlimited 6 vacuum bought on continent with schuko plug charging. Keeps van spotless and all fits in smaller drawer under seat/bed (once recharged).

Back