Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel prices, fill up here or France ?

Annik

Annik

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Off to France tomorrow and just wondering if I'm best off filling up in Folkestone or wait till I get to the other side, I think I remember someone saying fuel is no longer cheap in France like it used to be a few years ago.

Off to France tomorrow and just wondering if I'm best off filling up in Folkestone or wait till I get to the other side, I think I remember someone saying fuel is no longer cheap in France like it used to be a few years ago.
We last went in October and it was cheaper here, we were amazed how much cheaper it was in Italy compared to France as it was always the other way round.

Yeah, fill up here before you go as diesel is now more expensive in France, in fact diesel was cheaper in Norway compared to France!

Yes cheaper here. France is 1.40€ a litre approx. We filled at Tesco just off M20 junction 10 / 10a at Ashford both coming and going. Luxembourg and Austria are cheap.

Current improved Euro exchange rate makes the French fuel cheaper but remember to take the actual exchange rate that you got into any calculations.
definitely don't fill up on Motorways, just the same as here very expensive.

I always fill up prior to leaving the UK. The price difference isn't significant per fill up. Adblue is generally cheaper.

French are still protesting about Pension changes and you could easily get caught out with no fuel locally just when you need to fill up.

Cheap fuel in the UK will be cheaper than expensive motorway fuel in France. So also consider where you will be filling up.

First ask yourself: do you want to fill up at supermarkets, or just big brands?

169 ltr on the toll roads last week
We filled up at the first one just on the way out of the tunnel
154 from memory
Total are always cheaper for some reason I tend to run total the whole time we’re in France

We filled up at the first one just on the way out of the tunnel
Thats the one that i don't use since they put big rocks
out not allowing you back on the racecourse, you have to
navigate another couple of roundabouts to get back on track.
I use the sainsbury's in ashford and there's a M and S behind there
for a bit of half decent grub.
I only need 40 litres to get to luxembourg.

Thats the one that i don't use since they put big rocks
out not allowing you back on the racecourse, you have to
navigate another couple of roundabouts to get back on track.
I use the sainsbury's in ashford and there's a M and S behind there
for a bit of half decent grub.
I only need 40 litres to get to luxembourg.
Yep I noticed that too....I’m sure last year it was not like that ???
Like u say I ended up doing 2 roundabouts to get back on track..

I’m sure last year it was not like that ???
Probably about 3 yrs ago when i found out after wanting
a p1ss on the tunnel and finding that the 20 odd people
before me didn't realise the toilet was blocked.

Just to put in the picture, if you can imagine a big bucket
of on top.

Then you hear the fat controller announcing that he hoped you had a pleasant
journey.

Look, you've 2 jobs to do, drive the train and keep the toilets clean.
It aint happening. They would rather we didn't use the toilet.

Last edited:
Probably about 3 yrs ago when i found out after wanting
a p1ss on the tunnel and finding that the 20 odd people
before me didn't realise the toilet was blocked.

Just to put in the picture, if you can imagine a big bucket
of sausages in a thick gravy with a few chicken tikkas thrown
in with some paper and a load of apple juice on top.

Then you hear the fat controller announcing that he hoped you had a pleasant
journey.

Look, you've 2 jobs to do, drive the train and keep the toilets clean.
It aint happening. They would rather we didn't use the toilet.
Ha ha :)
So true
Reminds me of queuing for a slash when I noticed an empty cubicle, I looked around and thought Why’s nobody using it? I’m busting I’m going in there !
.when I got in there I realised why nobody was using it..by that time I was committed :( trying to slash just on the porcelain bit and avoid the casserole afterall I couldn’t just walk back into Line a wait
So Thanks for the detailed picture that’s now embedded in my mind for the second time ...next time I’m walking through 10 carriages to go for a p1ss pressing them stupid buttons that rarely work I’ll remember you dude !!!!
Cheers

Why not ask Google? One simple search and you'll find a gazillion websites that tell you the actual fuel prizes per country.

etc.

4 weeks ago it was fractionally cheaper in the UK. Managed to avoid autoroute fill-ups. Ashford - Bourg St Maurice on one tank each way :thumb

I travel to France on euro tunnel 2-4 times a year and always fill at cite Europe Calais. I do this for two reasons, it’s generally cheaper and it allows me the maximum traveling distance before requiring a refill. The latter because I can usually get to my destination in the alps on one fill (just) and don’t get spanked on the toll roads.

Travels back from St Gervais last Wednesday and filled + €133.7, refilled at Cite Europe in Calais + €135.5. About £1.16 and £1.18 a litre respectively....

I travel to France on euro tunnel 2-4 times a year and always fill at cite Europe Calais. I do this for two reasons, it’s generally cheaper and it allows me the maximum traveling distance before requiring a refill. The latter because I can usually get to my destination in the alps on one fill (just) and don’t get spanked on the toll roads.

Travels back from St Gervais last Wednesday and filled + €133.7, refilled at Cite Europe in Calais + €135.5. About £1.16 and £1.18 a litre respectively....
Saving a cup of coffee per full tank approx.

Last edited:
Saving a cup of coffee per full up approx.
I seem to recall the toll road fuel prices were between 165 and 170 cents a litre, given a 60-65 litre refill it’s more than £15 saving... expensive coffee.

I seem to recall the toll road fuel prices were between 165 and 170 cents a litre, given a 60-65 litre refill it’s more than £15 saving... expensive coffee.
Reference made to your quoted prices made not 165+

So at todays exchange rate the same as here but the exchange rate is key. I paid £1.18 a ltr in Barrow on Friday.

So at todays exchange rate the same as here but the exchange rate is key. I paid £1.18 a ltr in Barrow on Friday.
Great price for fuel! Though I’m not sure how that helps avoid French motorway fuel prices.

Great price for fuel! Though I’m not sure how that helps avoid French motorway fuel prices.
I don't understand the logic of getting off a Ferry or out of a Tunnel to then delay the onward journey going for fuel just to save a £ or two. As a % of the trip cost pretty low.

If as once was the case where fuel was much-much cheaper in France then the it was viable. All related to the exchange rate which isn't favourable currently.

As all Motorways pass large Town or Cities there are normally Supermarkets located close to these motorways where much cheaper fuel is available plus with the range of a Cali in most cases the destination point will be reached without the need for Cali fuel. Passengers yes.

I’m not too fussed if you understand or not. I was replying to the original post which appeared to me as concerning ‘cost effectiveness’. I Believe my response was both factual and informative and accordingly the OP can draw their own conclusions regarding relevance or understanding.