Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol in Diesel!!!

N

nutty123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
On the way to work in my T6 Ocean ready to go on holiday after we had finished, so saving time we thought we would fill her up to the top so we could shoot straight off after work. Couldn't believe it but I put £22 of petrol in before realizing, i had over half of a tank of diesel in before filling with the petrol, so I thought the best thing to do now is fill her to the top with diesel which came to £13, I rang my garage man he said it will be ok if driven carefully and fill up with Vpower after it goes down by a 1/4. We did and now driven over 200 miles, we had one little blip literally seconds of the revs all over the place and running a little bit rough. Since that must have put over £50 of Vpower in. And she seems to be driving as good as before the dreadful event !! I think we are very lucky after reading some forums..

I´m also a member of that club. :)
Only about 6 litres though.

You're brave..when I did that in my Volvo, they said the warranty would be invalidated if I didn't have it sorted out by a Volvo garage (all I did was drive off the pump and stop)...luckily my insurer covered the costs.
I have no knowledge but have read that modern diesels are much less tolerant of mis-fueling

I put about 6 litres in before that little internal voice said "recheck the pump".

:(

You might be lucky for now, but in most cases, the high pressure diesel pump will suffer from running too dry, causing the internal parts to chip off, causing damage to the pump, injectors, and dieselfilter meaning this will all be to replace including cleaning fuel hoses and tank.

I hope you will be saved from all that, otherwise it is a very costly refueling (€ 4000 - 5000).

You might be lucky for now, but in most cases, the high pressure diesel pump will suffer from running too dry, causing the internal parts to chip off, causing damage to the pump, injectors, and dieselfilter meaning this will all be to replace including cleaning fuel hoses and tank.

I hope you will be saved from all that, otherwise it is a very costly refueling (€ 4000 - 5000).
Well that's p*ssed on his chips.

Fingers crossed for you @nutty123.

VW mechanic told me you can go up to 15-20% petrol without any problem providing as said drive gently and keeps topping. WITH DIESEL:)

Walking home from work one day I met a man standing by his expensive and stationary Mercedes. He asked for my help to push his car so he could try to restart it. I suggested he put it in second gear as it is easier to bump start in that gear and walked to the rear. I noted the 'D' after the model number, and told him that as a diesel it may not bump start. "How do you know it's diesel?" he asked. He then went on to explain that it was a borrowed car which he had refuelled for his friend before returning it. I have often wondered how that friendship is now.

It's strange that manufacturers don't fit a misfuelling device to prevent this happening. I've fitted one to our California that prevents a petrol nozzle fitting, only Diesel will fit, as the 2 nozzles are different sizes with different notches internally. You can overcome it but not easily. Helpful if you have different fuelled cars in the household.

It's strange that manufacturers don't fit a misfuelling device to prevent this happening. I've fitted one to our California that prevents a petrol nozzle fitting, only Diesel will fit, as the 2 nozzles are different sizes with different notches internally. You can overcome it but not easily. Helpful if you have different fuelled cars in the

Thank you to all i will be refilling with Vpower for a while after 1/4 has gone to keep up with diluting the petrol but im sure after over £50 i must of done that ???

Just looked it up, £40 direct.

WG, does it slow up the fuelling process at all, either with reduced flow OR the cut off tripping in ?
Doesn't seem to, only with the HGV pumps. There were lots of Dual flow pumps in Norway so had to check they were on Car not HGV.
HGV pumps normally higher flow.

Doesn't seem to, only with the HGV pumps. There were lots of Dual flow pumps in Norway so had to check they were on Car not HGV.
HGV pumps normally higher flow.
HGV, usually larger diameter nozzle.

HGV, usually larger diameter nozzle.
Agree on a dedicated HGV pump. But some Continental pumps use the standard nozzle but a higher flow rate when switched to HGV. Haven't come across these dual pumps in UK.

Agree on a dedicated HGV pump. But some Continental pumps use the standard nozzle but a higher flow rate when switched to HGV. Haven't come across these dual pumps in UK.
This could be a good thing me thinks.

Saw one of these near Oxford while refuelling this morning. Ordinary pump but with a button to press for faster flow, HGV's only.

That is a good idea, where did you get the device from and is it easy to fit
I have one laying around for the T6 (not sure if fits other versions) ended up not using it. Can sell it at reasonable price.

Back