Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel or Petrol?

claveld

claveld

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,

We fell in love with the VW California Beach and are looking more closely into what configuration we should get.
In particular, we're still undecided regarding the engine type: Diesel or Petrol? (though it will be 204 PS / 4motion / DSG)

Do you have any experience / hints / recommendations ?

I have always driven petrol vehicules, and never enjoyed diesel ones, but this might be different with a vehicule such as the Cali... I noticed diesel is more common. We'll try a diesel ocean next week, but in the meantime I would have been curious to see what you think.

Thanks!
David

Hi,

.. I noticed diesel is more common.
Thanks!
David

In the UK its only the diesel thats currently available, thats one of the good reasons its more common:D

Ah, I didn't know that! But I hope there are members here from other countries who are also unfortunate to have the choice!

I would say the choice between a small 4cyl petrol or 4cyl diesel is not much difference engine culture vice which might me the only reason to choose petrol.
I guess a petrol version might be harder to sell and have a lower value.
On the other hand, some cities have declared that diesel vehicles will be banned.
I choose diesel on my 204PS beach

In Belgium they sell diesel and petrol version , don't know wich sells the most.
Holland only sells petrol !
Don't know about resale value but i said it before on here , i can't see the point thinking about resale value when you buy a car....are we in to make money or to make great trips and fun...? I know what i am in to!

Wouldn't the fuel consumption be an issue with a petrol engine?

Thank you for your replies!

We've tested the diesel engine and were happily surprised by how silent it was once warm. So we'll very likely go for a diesel as it has several advantages as you pointed out (e.g. consumption, torque).

If someone else has stuff an hesitation, the best is to simply try both!

David

As one smart person said "you use 100% power every day with diesel"
With petrol you'll hit it like twice a month at best. Need to rev the engine so high. :)
The main selling point for me was milage on 1 full tank. 1100km sounds nice