Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Demonstrator cost

nomadicmedic2005

nomadicmedic2005

VIP Member
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I've looked but can't see anything...

We've been out to look at a Beach today and just as we were about to take it out for a test drive, we were informed that it had just been bought (it genuinely had as we had a brief chat to the couple who purchased it to thank them for letting us have a quick drive in it). Anyway, it got us thinking about the benefits of buying a demonstration model. My assumption is that it would be cheaper than ordering one but wondered if anyone had any experience of this? If so, how much cheaper? Clearly it will depend on spec etc etc.

Thanks.

nomadicmedic2005 said:
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I've looked but can't see anything...

We've been out to look at a Beach today and just as we were about to take it out for a test drive, we were informed that it had just been bought (it genuinely had as we had a brief chat to the couple who purchased it to thank them for letting us have a quick drive in it). Anyway, it got us thinking about the benefits of buying a demonstration model. My assumption is that it would be cheaper than ordering one but wondered if anyone had any experience of this? If so, how much cheaper? Clearly it will depend on spec etc etc.

Thanks.

It will depend on spec and dealers vary wildly in what they offer for their demonstrators. Not going to name names but some dealer groups ask silly money for their Beaches.

I think when the Beach was first on sale demonstrators made more sense, now there are a few Beaches around with 5k on the clock with a good spec, then the price benefits offered by a demonstrator don't look so appealing.

I bought a demonstrator - though I bought mine before it had chance to really demonstrate. it depends what advantages you feel you are getting by ordering one, if it is around price, I'd consider a second hand Beach with a few k on the clock.

One downside to demonstrator is that it often follows a certain spec pattern - this can be particularly problematic on a Beach where there is a lot of options. For example SMG seem to always fit parking heaters (good) others will will concentrate on fitting bits like climtronic (also good) at the expense of other bits which might be more useful (not so good).

List what spec you actually want/would like and then look at what is available and look at what is available in your budget.

James

If you look on the used vw site there are a few, it all depends on how your buying and what you want. We bought ours a few weeks ago with 5k miles 6 months old for 31K, with the spec we got it would have been £39800 at list price. With a discount of between 8 - 12% (god know how people get 12%) it would have been £36500 ish. It made it obtainable for us, if we had the money thou I would have gone new but the extra's will make your eyes water when you add up all the "toys"

Bigbud said:
If you look on the used vw site there are a few, it all depends on how your buying and what you want. We bought ours a few weeks ago with 5k miles 6 months old for 31K, with the spec we got it would have been £39800 at list price. With a discount of between 8 - 12% (god know how people get 12%) it would have been £36500 ish. It made it obtainable for us, if we had the money thou I would have gone new but the extra's will make your eyes water when you add up all the "toys"

I think that is the best way to buy at present - if I was buying now - that's the kind of van I'd be looking at.

James

We got a great deal on a demonstrator. It was 6 months old, only had 60 (sixty!!) miles on it, had a list price of 38k and we got it for 31.5k with a VW cool box thrown in. It has all the camping goodies (awning, privacy glass) plus sensors, multifunction wheel and some other 'superfluous' stuff like folding mirrors and an iPod connection (Spotify needs bluetooth) on it - the main missing requirement being the heater which I will retrofit at some point. We wanted a 3 seater bench Beach before summer so weren't keen on playing the waiting game in order to get a heater. Oh and it's not yellow (sorry James). Just keep your eyes peeled on the used VW van website for a few weeks. I'd be slightly wary that some of the 5-6k mile vans might've been rental vans but a dealer ought to be able to tell you this. The upstairs mattress and flexboard padding in ours was still plastic wrapped.

Some of the dealers were asking silly prices for ex-demonstrators though.

EDIT - many of the dealers on the used website aren't trying hard to sell their Beaches. They don't list the full spec so ring up and ask them what's really on it. The crappy pictures often won't even give away whether it's a 2 or 3 seater in the back - just that it's shiny, and has a steering wheel :crazy

Ma77sc said:
We got a great deal on a demonstrator. It was 6 months old, only had 60 (sixty!!) miles on it, had a list price of 38k and we got it for 31.5k with a VW cool box thrown in. It has all the camping goodies (awning, privacy glass) plus sensors, multifunction wheel and some other 'superfluous' stuff like folding mirrors and an iPod connection (Spotify needs bluetooth) on it - the main missing requirement being the heater which I will retrofit at some point. We wanted a 3 seater bench Beach before summer so weren't keen on playing the waiting game in order to get a heater. Oh and it's not yellow (sorry James). Just keep your eyes peeled on the used VW van website for a few weeks. I'd be slightly wary that some of the 5-6k mile vans might've been rental vans but a dealer ought to be able to tell you this. The upstairs mattress and flexboard padding in ours was still plastic wrapped.

Some of the dealers were asking silly prices for ex-demonstrators though.

EDIT - many of the dealers on the used website aren't trying hard to sell their Beaches. They don't list the full spec so ring up and ask them what's really on it. The crappy pictures often won't even give away whether it's a 2 or 3 seater in the back - just that it's shiny, and has a steering wheel :crazy

That's great :) No problem if it is not yellow, red or white is also acceptable :)

Very true about the spec and ringing up.

And I agree some dealer do ask silly prices :)

James

I got an Ex demonstrator. Had everything i wanted other than parking heater and cruise.
Cruise i had fitted by Happydayz and the parking heater is on the list of things to do later in the year.

But, am very happy with the purchase as i've saved nearly £4.5k on list price.

Found a 6 month old Beach with 49miles...!!!
Privacy glass, climatic, awning, alloys, parking sensors front and rear, sat nav, round the bend lights, front fogs, metallic paint, VW cool box, roof bars and 3 seater for £33 500
Thought that was a good deal compared to what else was around :thumb

We have a silver Beach that was at COTF that is for sale and is being replaced so is available for a new owner!

cheers

Thanks for all the advice. Food for thought...

I'll let you know how we get on.

My only other thought would be to check carefully the relative cost of finance on the different options if you are going that route. When I looked at it, on VW PCP deals it was actually cheaper to go new especially if you factored in the Servicing offer that seems to run most of the time.

Steve.

We bought a 140ps 2 seat bench demonstrator from the West Yorkshire Van Centre. 6 months old, 25 miles on the clock (it had only been out for 2 test drives), alloys, climatronic, sat nav, awning and front and rear parking sensors. All plastic covers still on the mattresses.
The list price was about £37k but they were selling it for £29,950. We got it for £29,250.
Other half wanted some extras (cruise control, chrome side rails, bumper protector, window deflectors) which we got added for £800, so we were very happy.
We were originally looking for a T5 to convert, but the Beach at that price made more sense to us.

How did you all hear about the demonstrators? Is it a simple case of calling round the dealers to see what they have?

Check out the Used VW Van website for ones already on the market and call around for those about to come on the market. As I understand a dealer won't hang onto a demo longer than 6 months so there's a steady churn. Looking on the Used VW website right now most appear to be demos and you can bet the Bristol one at 5000* miles is nearer 50 miles, but at 40k it'd better be gold plated!

Bigbud said:
where did you get cruise done ?
West Yorkshire Van Centre fitted it before we picked the Beach up.

nomadicmedic2005 said:
How did you all hear about the demonstrators? Is it a simple case of calling round the dealers to see what they have?
We were going around a few VW van centres looking for a T5 to convert. We`d never heard of the Beach, but when we saw it we soon decided it was for us.
All ex-demo`s are listed in VW`s used van section.

Back