Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

It's a disgraceful situation.

The cost to the NHS is staggering. Perhaps if we tolerated it less. I know if my BMI was over 30 then my health insurance premiums would leap up.

Agree; we were talking at home recently at how normalised it has become. Many people genuinely would not see themselves as overweight even when it is to a level where it is hugely increasing their health risks. Where I am though, despite some of the anti-exercise hostility, there are so many people out walking, running, cycling... it does look good for change.
I think people have noted the government's specific allowance of excercise, apparently insisted on by Public Health England and rightly so looking at some of the early evidence for severe Covid risk factors.

My BMI has always been high because of my build. I remember visiting the Doctors to have a cycling certificate signed for a foreign cycling event and I could see, in his glasses, his flashing computer screen. Apparently computer was flagging me as an obesity risk due to my BMI. He cancelled the warning.

Even when I was a skinny 18year old, rowing 40hrs a week with a 5km run time of around 17.5mins my BMI was circa 27.

Hence my "pro cycling" career took a nose dive.

Mine hovers around 26 - 26.5 even when marathon training. BMI at the "normal - overweight" threshold is not an exact science and for some reason my bone mass is particularly high, even now when I am at an age and gender where osteoporosis is considered a risk.

However a look in the mirror is often better than a set of scales and some of the grossly-proportioned lumps of lard waddling around at present really have no excuse. I am normally slow to condemn, I know of too many people that have been feeding historical abuse or are deeply scarred psychologically but sorry, it's time to say to a lot "Here is your weight reduction programme, here is your electronic food diary, here is your exercise plan and here is an application form for BUPA if you don't want to follow the first three and thereby forego your NHS entitlement."

Mine hovers around 26 - 26.5 even when marathon training. BMI at the "normal - overweight" threshold is not an exact science and for some reason my bone mass is particularly high, even now when I am at an age and gender where osteoporosis is considered a risk.

However a look in the mirror is often better than a set of scales and some of the grossly-proportioned lumps of lard waddling around at present really have no excuse. I am normally slow to condemn, I know of too many people that have been feeding historical abuse or are deeply scarred psychologically but sorry, it's time to say to a lot "Here is your weight reduction programme, here is your electronic food diary, here is your exercise plan and here is an application form for BUPA if you don't want to follow the first three and thereby forego your NHS entitlement."
Please no! Not the "look in the mirror" treatment. I'll have to have another drink to get over that.
1960s 12 stones;
1970s 12 stones 7lb;
1980s 13 stones; 13 stones 7 lb;
1990s 14 stones; 15 stones;
2000s 15 stones 7 lb; 16 stones 16 stones 7 lb;
2010s 16 stones fairly constant. Where are the mirrors when you need them? Maybe I should not have used Don Whillans as a role model.
I do feel ashamed (sometimes).
For the younger generation 1 stone is 14 lb and 1 lb is 0.04536 kg.

Last edited:
Please no! Not the "look in the mirror treatment" I'll have to have another drink to get over that.
Just noticed where you are ..... going completely off topic, how is the model railway club doing?

Just noticed where you are ..... going completely off topic, how is the model railway club doing?
Doing very well, but I know more about the poker and snooker clubs. The railway modellers made a very strong and successful comeback.

Please no! Not the "look in the mirror" treatment. I'll have to have another drink to get over that.
1960s 12 stones;
1970s 12 stones 7lb;
1980s 13 stones; 13 stones 7 lb;
1990s 14 stones; 15 stones;
2000s 15 stones 7 lb; 16 stones 16 stones 7 lb;
2010s 16 stones fairly constant. Where are the mirrors when you need them? Maybe I should not have used Don Whillans as a role model.
I do feel ashamed (sometimes).
For the younger generation 1 stone is 14 lb and 1 lb is 0.04536 kg.

Now being a big guy (I'm 193cm high) I can spread the weight around a little. I hit the dizzy heights of 127kg (just under 20stone), too much work, too much coffee. A photo did it for me. I shed 25kgs in about 4 to 5months with people telling me that I looked too thin and unhealthy. I'm about 108kg at the moment and need to get back down to 102kg. (That may be a little difficult now that I'm back on the rowing machine and using the upper body again)

As a fit 18year old I was around 98kg and looked like a rake.

Now being a big guy (I'm 193cm high) I can spread the weight around a little. I hit the dizzy heights of 127kg (just under 20stone), too much work, too much coffee. A photo did it for me. I shed 25kgs in about 4 to 5months with people telling me that I looked too thin and unhealthy. I'm about 108kg at the moment and need to get back down to 102kg. (That may be a little difficult now that I'm back on the rowing machine and using the upper body again)

As a fit 18year old I was around 98kg and looked like a rake.
I can shed weight if I want to, or if I need to, but in the present lock down situation my attitude has been more "let's have another drink" than "I really ought to abstain".

Agree. Kitchen is too close to my WFH desk.

I can shed weight if I want to, or if I need to, but in the present lock down situation my attitude has been more "let's have another drink" than "I really ought to abstain".

My "night job" and hobby is wine. I keep quite a lot at home, around 500 bottles.

For the last few weeks it's been only the best that's been opened. If I'm going to catch this dreaded virus then I'm not leaving my best wine for others to drink :shocked

My "night job" and hobby is wine. I keep quite a lot at home, around 500 bottles.

For the last few weeks it's been only the best that's been opened. If I'm going to catch this dreaded virus then I'm not leaving my best wine for others to drink :shocked
I now understand the significance of the 42 litre wine cooler.

Unfortunately we don’t have the infrastructure that they have in the Netherland, do like the law there though, if there is a cycle path on a route bikes are not permitted on the highway.

It's the same in Belgium. That said once on the cycle lane you have complete right of way. None of this stop/start at every junction and car drivers adhere to it without exception. Interestingly they have introduced the concept into the refurbished cycle lane in Southampton, and sadly quite a few car drivers are unable to comprehend the continuous crossing / give way to cyclist and pedestrians concept. They have now introduced large permanent signs with little success. Cycling across this junction can haphazard!

Archer Road.JPG

It's the same in Belgium. That said once on the cycle lane you have complete right of way. None of this stop/start at every junction and car drivers adhere to it without exception. Interestingly they have introduced the concept into the refurbished cycle lane in Southampton, and sadly quite a few car drivers are unable to comprehend the continuous crossing / give way to cyclist and pedestrians concept. They have now introduced large permanent signs with little success. Cycling across this junction can haphazard!

View attachment 58975

Strict liability in the Netherlands helps. Driver’s need to prove their innocence in any crash with a cyclist.

Unfortunately we don’t have the infrastructure that they have in the Netherland, do like the law there though, if there is a cycle path on a route bikes are not permitted on the highway.
Nor do we have the generally more clement weather.

With a current foot injury inhibiting my running so Geraldine is now my main source of aerobic exercise.

AND PLEASE NOTE:

It's got a basket, A BELL THAT RINGS and things to make it look good .......

fullsizeoutput_136.jpeg

Last edited:
Back