Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

I will stick by my post about your blinkered view and scraping the barrel, not just on this subject but many others. No doubt being the keyboard warrior, you will want the final say on this, so feel free, Im off for a bike ride
Done my bike ride today.:thumb

Lots more cyclists in London

Clare works at Guy's Hospital next to London Bridge Station. She is planning to cycle to work once the trains start getting busy. I wouldn't have believed it possible to get her to cycle into Central London six months ago.

I think a five fold increase is a bit optimistic, but who knows?

When you see what's possible in Denmark & the Netherlands in particular, but France, Germany, Belgium and many other places, we just need to get on plan for more active travel. For fitness, general and mental health, air quality, the climate crisis. The trick will be, once and for all, to convince people that it is no threat to people who cannot, don't want to or just won't cycle short distances. People have experienced less traffic, cleaner air and how we can radically change quickly if we really have to; there will be some necessary reversion as the economy picks up, but I doubt it will be to how it was. Hopefully this will be a time to reflect and change.

Cycle lane give way signs are an interesting one. Brighton prime example, cycle lane is on very wide path with numerous marked give way junctions to allow pedestrians access to the road crossing points. Apparently according to the cyclist that hit me as a pedestrian they don’t mean anything. Quite interesting though if a car ignores a give way and hits a cyclist then obviously it’s the car drivers fault.
yep then in the bad old days before brexit, oops sorry covid, the cyclist who hit me on the zebra crossing in London.
so no if yr on a cycle way and there is give way, like any other road user, respect the markings, slow down asses and then make yr decision.

Clare works at Guy's Hospital next to London Bridge Station. She is planning to cycle to work once the trains start getting busy. I wouldn't have believed it possible to get her to cycle into Central London six months ago.

I think a five fold increase is a bit optimistic, but who knows?

My son works at St Thomas' and has used his bike to cycle to work and back ever since the underground decided to cut services and the remaining services became crowded. He said last week that the car traffic has increased over the last couple of weeks. Will be interesting to see just what happens as the lockdown starts to happen.

Cycle lane give way signs are an interesting one. Brighton prime example, cycle lane is on very wide path with numerous marked give way junctions to allow pedestrians access to the road crossing points. Apparently according to the cyclist that hit me as a pedestrian they don’t mean anything. Quite interesting though if a car ignores a give way and hits a cyclist then obviously it’s the car drivers fault.
yep then in the bad old days before brexit, oops sorry covid, the cyclist who hit me on the zebra crossing in London.
so no if yr on a cycle way and there is give way, like any other road user, respect the markings, slow down asses and then make yr decision.

Sadly for some reason a lot of the South Coast shared paths are becoming a danger zone for pedestrians.

I used to think it was the norm although more recent experiences suggest it is not, in many places cyclists show a lot of consideration and respect for the pedestrian but I'm afraid "Down here" ....go on any Facebook page representing communities from Littlehampton to Eastbourne and it's the same complaint. "Shared" means "pedestrians travel at your own risk" and "No cycling" signs are clearly invisible. Worthing prom is now a danger zone for those on foot or pushing prams, and it's not just cyclists but mobility scooters as well.

Footpaths & Bridleways etc around Burgess Hill all fine with no issues; Few families frowning when dogs sniff out their picnics, but other than that everyone seems to be sensible.

Sadly for some reason a lot of the South Coast shared paths are becoming a danger zone for pedestrians.

I used to think it was the norm although more recent experiences suggest it is not, in many places cyclists show a lot of consideration and respect for the pedestrian but I'm afraid "Down here" ....go on any Facebook page representing communities from Littlehampton to Eastbourne and it's the same complaint. "Shared" means "pedestrians travel at your own risk" and "No cycling" signs are clearly invisible. Worthing prom is now a danger zone for those on foot or pushing prams, and it's not just cyclists but mobility scooters as well.
The biggest danger I noticed on my old commute from Worthing to Brighton was the chipped ebikes, scary how fast some folks were going and most were elderly.

BWT I obeyed and the laws and made a monthly contribution to Sustrans to help with the bike path maintenance, like most things, it's the small minded folks that spoil things, the amount of people on bikes not paying attention from Splashpoint all the way into Worthing is sad.

Shared paths are generally a cheap and nasty cycling solution that doesn’t really suit pedestrians or cyclists... I dislike cycling or walking on them anywhere busy. On the whole, they represent part of what is wrong with Britain’s approach to cycling. But, I do not think they are part of London’s recent cycling provision which gets us a tiny bit closer to continental standards.

I definitely don’t think the UKs generally terrible existing cycling infrastructure, or various individual incidents or local problems, should detract from the bigger picture’. It affects cycling in particular - you don’t tend to hear your latest by-pass being opposed by ‘whataboutery’ on account of the antics of boy racers or drivers who text, speed etc.

Footpaths & Bridleways etc around Burgess Hill all fine with no issues; Few families frowning when dogs sniff out their picnics, but other than that everyone seems to be sensible.

I’ve never had an issue with cyclists as a pedestrian or motorist - except once on a descent from Pen-y-gent. Some joker had organised a three peaks cyclocross race and not signed or stewarded the junction between Foxup Road and the Pennine Way. Result: a stubborn walker in the middle of the pennine way and frustrated cyclists unable to tear down the trail.

Shared paths are generally a cheap and nasty cycling solution that doesn’t really suit pedestrians or cyclists... I dislike cycling or walking on them anywhere busy. On the whole, they represent part of what is wrong with Britain’s approach to cycling. But, I do not think they are part of London’s recent cycling provision which gets us a tiny bit closer to continental standards.

I definitely don’t think the UKs generally terrible existing cycling infrastructure, or various individual incidents or local problems, should detract from the bigger picture’. It affects cycling in particular - you don’t tend to hear your latest by-pass being opposed by ‘whataboutery’ on account of the antics of boy racers or drivers who text, speed etc.
Bang on, it’s madness too because lots of folks could switch to ebikes instead of cars, get some exercise and save a packet and for most short journeys or commutes it would be faster.

My commute on the bike is parallel to the tunnelbana and it’s so easy to beat that thing without trying, lights are in favour of the cyclists on the cycle path, thousands commute this way in Stockholm despite the winter and amazing infrastructure, I marvel every day at what we have.

I’ve just ordered a Vanmoof now my distance has increased, I don’t use commuting for training but enjoy the freedom and safety of commuting on bike, plus at the other end we’ve got secure bike parking, showers and lockers, but prob won’t need it on my new ebike.

I’ve never had an issue with cyclists as a pedestrian or motorist - except once on a descent from Pen-y-gent. Some joker had organised a three peaks cyclocross race and not signed or stewarded the junction between Foxup Road and the Pennine Way. Result: a stubborn walker in the middle of the pennine way and frustrated cyclists unable to tear down the trail.
I very much doubt it was the actual three peaks, that race is painstakingly organized with permission from lots of different land owners, if you’re on the course during that day I think it’s your glasses that might need a wipe.

We need to do a few things as a country collective to increase cycle use...

1 - We must build our towns and cities around a new cycle infrastructure. Making the bike priority...
2 - Offer ebikes to all, with a healthy government discount or taxation reduction on the purchase of these bikes
3 - Increase motoring costs substantially. Car travel is far to cheap. We must raise fuel duty, car tax and roll out further city centre congestion charges and possibly introduce motorway tolls...

We need to do a few things as a country collective to increase cycle use...

1 - We must build our towns and cities around a new cycle infrastructure. Making the bike priority...
2 - Offer ebikes to all, with a healthy government discount or taxation reduction on the purchase of these bikes
3 - Increase motoring costs substantially. Car travel is far to cheap. We must raise fuel duty, car tax and roll out further city centre congestion charges and possibly introduce motorway tolls...
Item 2. Include for registration and small annual taxation

Item 2. Include for registration and small annual taxation

Sorry don’t agree...
We must encourage and support sustainable transportation.
Just had my reminder for my California. £475

Last edited:
I very much doubt it was the actual three peaks, that race is painstakingly organized with permission from lots of different land owners, if you’re on the course during that day I think it’s your glasses that might need a wipe.

I think it was the actual Three Peaks Race. We’d just joined the Pennine Way at a fairly remote point. As we descended the route became lined with spectators.

About a week later I read in a report on the race complaints from competitors about poor stewarding particularly on the section we walked. The report also contained a clear enough description of our group.

Sorry don’t agree...
I have incorrectly named it as Road tax. It’s actually VED emission based tax.
Therefore zero for bicycles...

Just had my reminder for my California. £475
Governments have lots of fun renaming tax raising fiddles, every time follow the money. Now they have convinced the majority of the population that CO2 is evil the sky is literally the limit.

I don't know what's gone wrong with the above post, I guess that I tried to do something I couldn't.
I'll say it again.
If on bicycles or e bikes, riders should be subject to a proficiency test and their ownership should be registered.

Governments have lots of fun renaming tax raising fiddles, every time follow the money. Now they have convinced the majority of the population that CO2 is evil the sky is literally the limit.

Not sure where I read it.
But interesting article about NOX levels which had increased in Germany last month, even though car travel has dropped ten fold because of Covid...
Makes you wonder.

I heard on the news this morning that Halfords bike sales had increased by some enormous percentage (can't quote because I might get it wrong, but some astronomical figure) Let mayhem on our roads ensue.

It's a disgraceful situation.

The cost to the NHS is staggering. Perhaps if we tolerated it less. I know if my BMI was over 30 then my health insurance premiums would leap up.

My BMI has always been high because of my build. I remember visiting the Doctors to have a cycling certificate signed for a foreign cycling event and I could see, in his glasses, his flashing computer screen. Apparently computer was flagging me as an obesity risk due to my BMI. He cancelled the warning.

Even when I was a skinny 18year old, rowing 40hrs a week with a 5km run time of around 17.5mins my BMI was circa 27.

Hence my "pro cycling" career took a nose dive.

Back