Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couple of questions...

L

LobsterVan

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi everyone, I recently bought a T6.1 Ocean - never had a campervan before and am predictably loving this thing, it's great.

In general I've learnt a lot in these first 3 months, but I just have a couple of questions where I can't work out if there's an issue or not, before going back to the dealers...

a) I'm still trying to get my head round the display panel - the hours left on the batteries just seems to go up and down all over the place - I get that it's related to the draw (e.g. 11hrs left on a 4A draw will jump next time to 55hrs on a 1A draw), but doesn't that render it a bit pointless, or should I be relying on, e.g. the voltage bit?
(I have noticed that the graphics in general don't help much, so a completely drained grey tank still has a bit showing on the display, I've had the fresh water showing nothing even though there's half a tank in there, that kind of thing...is this common/to be expected?)

b) When I first turn on the ignition, it checks through a load of lights but the bottom-right yellow 'engine' shaped one (emissions-related I think) stays on. It goes away as soon as I start the actual engine, and never comes on when I'm driving, but won't go out like the others until the engine starts. Does that sound like a problem? I've also noticed that the auto engine-off at traffic lights etc. sometimes doesn't work, for a whole journey. Given that that's emissions-related, I'm wondering if they're connected?

Thanks!

B) The yellow engine icon stays on until engine starts is normal

Engine auto-off depends on lots of things before it will allow itself to go off…

All the wonders of a VW Campervan……….. nothing to worry about in any of that….. don’t over think it and enjoy the van :thumb

Hi everyone, I recently bought a T6.1 Ocean - never had a campervan before and am predictably loving this thing, it's great.

In general I've learnt a lot in these first 3 months, but I just have a couple of questions where I can't work out if there's an issue or not, before going back to the dealers...

a) I'm still trying to get my head round the display panel - the hours left on the batteries just seems to go up and down all over the place - I get that it's related to the draw (e.g. 11hrs left on a 4A draw will jump next time to 55hrs on a 1A draw), but doesn't that render it a bit pointless, or should I be relying on, e.g. the voltage bit?
(I have noticed that the graphics in general don't help much, so a completely drained grey tank still has a bit showing on the display, I've had the fresh water showing nothing even though there's half a tank in there, that kind of thing...is this common/to be expected?)

b) When I first turn on the ignition, it checks through a load of lights but the bottom-right yellow 'engine' shaped one (emissions-related I think) stays on. It goes away as soon as I start the actual engine, and never comes on when I'm driving, but won't go out like the others until the engine starts. Does that sound like a problem? I've also noticed that the auto engine-off at traffic lights etc. sometimes doesn't work, for a whole journey. Given that that's emissions-related, I'm wondering if they're connected?

Thanks!
Rely on the Voltage reading.
The tank sensors are not very sensitive. Normal

The waste sensor is a binary thing. That greyish graphic is empty and there is no granular indication of it getting fuller. It just shows different when full. Along with an "Empty waste tank" msg. So it shows full or empty and nothing in between. :)

Thanks everyone, all pretty reassuring. And ”don’t overthink” is always good advice…for everything these days…(!)

Reactions: Sad