Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Heater and Electrics for Dummies

TimC

TimC

VIP Member
Hi all. We've had Herman, our 2015 Beach, for six months and I've still no idea how he works.
(apart from the, you know, driving bit). Yes, I happily concede I'm an idiot. Mind you, so was the bloke at the dealership, who knew even less about it than I do.

I've been poring over the very useful Q&As on the forum and think the mud is finally starting to clear, but I wondered if some kind soul could help me out with answers to a couple of the following.

1. Am I right in thinking the sockets behind the front seats all work off the leisure battery? What about the cabin lights?
2. What happens when the leisure battery runs down? Will the engine not start?
3. Am I right that there's no indicator in the Beach telling me the leisure battery level?
4. How do I keep the van warm at night? Is that what the auxiliary heater does? Is that the one on the display on the roof where it says the date? Does that run off the leisure battery too? Is that what the remote control thingy on the key fob is for?
5. Will general driving around charge up the leisure battery, or just the engine battery?

I'm sure I have more questions, but my poor idiot brain can only hold so much at a time.

Thank you.

Tim

Hi Tim

1 - all 12v sockets rear of the dash work off the leisure battery (under passenger seat). The 240v socket only works if the van is plugged in via the socket on the near side rear of the van.

2 - no the starter and leisure battery are separate.

3 - correct

4 - do you have a black vent in the bottom of the b pillar behind the drivers seat? If so you have the air heater option which you can use to keep warm. Controlled with panel by cab lights. Can be set as in various modes best to have a play with it while reading the manual.

5 - Yes but never fully - best to plug the van in once a month to keep the leisure battery in tip top condition.

Hi Tim

A bit extra on 4 - yes it uses the leisure battery and diesel to work (must be 17 litres minimum in the fuel tank to work). If you have a fob it controls the heating.

Tim, Hope Bigted has answered your questions (not owning a Beach I learnt a few things). After reading your post your,handover on collection must have been the worst in VW history.

No my handover must have been the worst. I must get round to reviewing the dealer!

Oh boy can someone go to his dealer and give him a slap in the face ...
then drive to Tim and explaine some things....
I would love to do this , but bit far away!

Serious , think it would be good to meet with someone from the forum who lives nearby to sort some things out .
Or go to the April meet...:thumb

Hi Tim

1 - all 12v sockets rear of the dash work off the leisure battery (under passenger seat). The 240v socket only works if the van is plugged in via the socket on the near side rear of the van.

2 - no the starter and leisure battery are separate.

3 - correct

4 - do you have a black vent in the bottom of the b pillar behind the drivers seat? If so you have the air heater option which you can use to keep warm. Controlled with panel by cab lights. Can be set as in various modes best to have a play with it while reading the manual.

5 - Yes but never fully - best to plug the van in once a month to keep the leisure battery in tip top condition.

This is great - thanks BigTed. Really useful info

....on 1 :
Does the beach got the 220v /150w plug in the b- pilar on your (UK) passenger side? On SE it has and works on lesure batts. when not on hook-up

....on 1 :
Does the beach got the 220v /150w plug in the b- pilar on your (UK) passenger side? On SE it has and works on lesure batts. when not on hook-up
No it does not have this (on uk spec at least)

Think i need to rent a Beach to get to know it better...:)

Back