Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Don't laugh... Electrics for Dummies.

TimC

TimC

VIP Member
Hi. We've had our California Beach for about 6 years and I don't think our electrics have ever worked properly on hook-up. I said don't laugh. The 3 pin socket behind the passenger seat has never worked eg. Often this has been ok as we use it mainly in Europe and do long distances which kind of charges it up for a bit before it fades away and at least it stops the kids charging their phones constantly! However, I've finally decided to try and do something about it. I had the leisure battery tested by our local garage. Miraculously it seems fine. I've ordered an adaptor with a UK socket on it so I can check the cable (it's a good one and we've always treated it well, but I'm now wondering if we haven;t just been carting an orange 25 metre dead snake around Europe with us for a few years). So I guess I have two questions. 1) If the cable works and the leisure battery is ok and the cigarette type sockets work when we're driving and for a bit afterwards, any idea what the problem might be? (I've tried the reset button in the tool cubby hole thing to no avail) and 2) As a temporary summer fix before the main dealer can check it out properly (they won't be able to for about 6 weeks they say) and assuming the cable is working, might i be able to plug our Waeco fridge directly into the hook up cable on-site and trail it into the van, or will I kill everybody? Thanks!

No reason not to take power directly inside, worth doing power check with a test Plug on the cable plus end adapter before actual use.

No reason not to take power directly inside, worth doing power check with a test Plug on the cable plus end adapter before actual use.
Great - thank you. (Yes, will check the cable first)

Back