Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Conversion to transporter

B

BenjaminPattin

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi fellow Californians. I have a question about a conversion. For 4 years we've been using our Beach as a campervan/family car, and I recently started as an independent carpenter. So, I decided to convert my cali into a semi-transporter. Pulled out the extremely annoying trunk bench and built a contraption attached to the outer floor rails, with a heavy duty drawer underneath, attached to the middle rails. The problem is, all loads are attached on two anchors I bought somewhere online in Germay, and the whole is quite wiggly, to say the least. I can fit all my equipment and materials but some extra stability would be nice.

So, does anybody know if I can find some points somewhere in the sides for extra security? I'm willing to remove panels and build other contraptions, and even trash my beautiful cali a bit (as you can see in the pictures)39ea7136-dcab-4ae3-9185-dff8217cec7e.jpg12603da9-0dea-4e41-84a7-7dce3267390a.jpgda025160-a0ac-46e4-bf76-63e5c4e0ce8c.jpg. Contraptions are my trade you see.

I've added some pictures of my van of frankenstein so you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
A wayfaring carpenter.

WOW I messed up the format there a bit. Another contraption!

A brave move. Do you still camp upstairs?

I think you’re more likely to get a detailed response to this question on the T6 forum. It would likely require removing or altering some of the Beach plastic trim in order to access the metal frame behind. @Loz is a member on here and the T6 forum and may be able to help.

Upstairs and downstairs, the backseats are still there, folded to the front. It's an easy conversiin: untie two bolts and change my contraption for vw's contraption. The drawer stays, made this one fitting for our fridge, kitchen and luggage. Takes about half an hour to swicht back from transporter to cali :).

Thanks for the tip, I'll migrate my question.

Your main problem is that the slide rails are designed to be mounted on their edges not flat.

Hey Loz. They work just fine, they're heavy duty slide rails (120kg load capacity each!) that are used by firemen and whatnot. The problem is the construction above, which stand apart from the drawer underneath. It's that part of the contraption that needs stability from the sides in some way.

Perhaps some foam padding between the vans walls and your contraption? Although I doubt it'll become truely sturdy, it might take some of the wiggle out of it.

Does it go far enough forward that you could use the point where the grab handle fixes to the pillar?
I realise the actual grab handle will be on the wrong side but I assume there will be an anchor point behind the trim on both sides.
You could look at how a slidepod is designed. The drawer is inside a box section which might be a more stable base for the stuff on top, especially if it had a back.

Well done making the best of what you have. You now have a practical vehicle with the comfortable ride of the California.

Your main problem is that the slide rails are designed to be mounted on their edges not flat.
I thought that too. It’s the same system as a kitchen draw but obviously a lot more heavy duty.

Back