Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Transporter "shape"

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have been pondering this and I can't decide if it's an optical illusion or not; when I see barn-door Transporters from the rear, the sides appear to be tapered more into the roof (i.e. less "square") than the California. But then I hear plenty of people converting barn-door Transporters to tailgates, so presumably they must be the same shape or else that conversion wouldn't be possible . . . unless the Cali is a different shape to the Transporter? Or am I imagining all of this?

You are imagining it.

The version that makes this look more tapered is the factory high roof T5/T6 as those versions have barn doors that go to up into the high roof. Even then there is no difference in the body width below the gutter line.

Having looked around the car park at my local VW Van Centre, I can see what you mean. I think it's an optical illusion, probably how the lines of windows and door shuts combine.

Having looked around the car park at my local VW Van Centre, I can see what you mean. I think it's an optical illusion, probably how the lines of windows and door shuts combine.
You will have noticed that T6 onwards tailgates have flat bottomed window glass whilst barn door vans still have the old 'turned-up' end type.

Back