Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Considering a California Beach for adventures with my family of 4

@2haw thanks for this. Your list is very similar to our current options wishlist!

We have everything on your list selected except:

5) Front Fog Lights - Didn't think I would use often. (Will have the LED's which are brighter than standard?)

13) 18" Alloys - I prefer the 18" look but then the vehicle doesn't come with a spare tyre?

15) Towbar - I have the towbar preparation but have never used a towbar previously.

We also have the following selected:

A) 235/55 All-season tires - Better handling than 215/60?

B) Navigation System - For the larger screen and wireless apple Carplay (I use google maps for my Sat nav). Plus a backup sat nav if my phone is out of signal.

C) Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat

D) Electric wing mirrors

We also wanted to add a 6th removable seat. But this doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3 bench Ocean Camper on the website configurator.

Although I am sure I have seen photos on here of people with the Ocean Camper with an extra seat?
5) fogs finish off the front bumper. Looks cheap without. Painful that these are not included as standard.

13) Correct. No spare tyre. Can buy a cheap spare and cradle on ebay if you really feel the need for one.

15) I agree and have never used one but future proof!

Additional seats from the factory are not allowed in the Camper Version due to the VED. From factory 5 seats only. Extra seats can drop straight in but getting 2nd row seats with matching fabric would be a problem. Be aware though that the V5 will state 5 seats so insurance would be a problem if in an accident.

B) I hated the Factory Sat Nav on my T6. New one no doubt is better and larger screen is nice but doesn’t bother me.

C) see item 6. Not perfect but much cheaper to buy from factory. Bench without VW mattress is very uneven.

D) Yes cheap addition if you’ve got a tight garage or like the mirrors folded up once parked.

Ocean is available with additional seat but that still only takes it to a 5 seater.

I’ve had 3 Beaches…
2 without heater and 1 with and I’d definitely recommend you tick the Parking Heater option first. Changes the whole use and feel of the van throughout the whole year.

Then the rest are all personal..
My choices, no particular order
2) LED lights
3) 3 Zone Climate for rear vents
4) Heated Seats
5) Fogs
6) Comfort Mattress
7) LED interior lights
8) Panoramic Roof
9) Privacy
10) Extra side window for air flow through
11) Rear Cam
12) Parking Sensors
13) 18” Alloys (the Wider Wheels look better in the arches)
14) Lights and Vision.
15) Towbar
16) 3 Seat Bench
17) Art Velours
Parking sensors and rear cam go up the list. I use them every day. Towbar goes up to carry bikes. I use it every month.
Comfort mattress (better aftermarket) and fogs -slide down the list

@2haw Now you’ve mentioned the look of the fog lights I need this too!

It did look a bit bare when I looked at the configuration render but I put it down to it not being an actual photo of a car. But its the fog lights that were missing! :)

Do you know if a cheap spare tyre fit under the car?

It’s frustrating they don’t sell a 6th seat with the Camper version as the interior space with 3 seater bench is exactly the same as the Tour version

View attachment 90157
@2haw Now you’ve mentioned the look of the fog lights I need this too!

It did look a bit bare when I looked at the configuration render but I put it down to it not being an actual photo of a car. But its the fog lights that were missing! :)

Do you know if a cheap spare tyre fit under the car?

It’s frustrating they don’t sell a 6th seat with the Camper version as the interior space with 3 seater bench is exactly the same as the Tour version
Sorry. But if you intend to keep for a long time, you’ve got to choose right!

Others on here have added a cheap spare but not only will you need a wheel, you will need to buy the cradle and also a Jack!

@2haw I am glad you pointed the fog lights it out. It’s what was missing!

Thanks for the advice on the wheels too. I will go for the 18”

I would say parking heater, 3 zone climate, electric hook up, parking sensors, reversing camera and LED lights would be the minimum on the list. My preference would be 17 inch wheels with 215 tyres (I changed from 18s) but that is personal choice.

If I was uk based I would look at 2 sliding doors on the tour rather than the cooker which is a definite nice to have (we do use it a lot that being said).

I can’t comment on the lack of extra seats (I have 7 and the cooker) and other options, does seem that the beach is a lower spec in UK which does seem odd based on choices we have in LHD markets.

on the subject of mattresses and multifunction bench it’s tricky. I am seriously considering removing the bench and using two singles with the Vanessa Arco system to make everyday van use (mountain bikes and kite surfing) easier but it’s a lot of money to pay out for something I haven't tried yet. The mattress takes a lot of space but is probably needed to make sleeping comfortable.

Definitely buy the factory comfort mattress, the bench without it is extremely uncomfortable.

If you still don’t like the VW comfort mattress, you could sell it on here for more than you paid for it as people are often looking for the VW one as it’s about £600 from the parts department.

I think my beach camper had most options ticked. I think I’d get it all again after almost 12 months of ownership. I’d only think twice about the heated art velour seats - look lovely but they’ve been covered up since day 3 so part of me thinks what was the point.

Some other thoughts:
- I think there’s a tax difference between the camper and tour models. We got the camper and have never wished we had an extra sliding door.
- I am not sure if I saw 4 keys on your list. I think worth getting to save cost in long run.
- Also I am not sure I saw extended five year warranty. General consensus seems to be that you should get it.
- The extra seat isn’t on order isn’t an issue. I recently bought one on here and now have a six seater whenever needed. (V5 and insurance updated with no issues).

Lastly, I think the one change I would make if ordering again would be to get a white one and then have the option of a lower half wrap. Maybe.

Order placed this morning

Now the wait begins!

Thanks for all the replies and advice! It helped a lot!

@Winston Rumfoord I’ve added the extended warranty. Good to know that the log book can be updated if we get an extra seat.
Exciting!!
Did you get a decent discount?

@2haw I got 9% which I’m happy with

It’s what Autoebid and Drive the deal were offering and I contacted a dealer who matched it.

Didn’t try to get more off as with the factory closing for a few weeks I wanted to get my order in asap incase the closure gets extended and they stop taking new orders.

Really great to hear your beach is on order. Mine has been on order since July 21st. All of the things you added extra I’ve ordered plus a foc fridge and some kind of paint coating thrown in. I did order the bike rack, as we have 4 bikes between us and it’s a good additional storage option. In the 12 prior to ordering and 9 months wait time of looking at who ordered what and why pretty much all of what you have ordered people have order a similar spec. The thing I have also learnt is this community is; from solar panels, to carpets to bedding this community have it all. What you might have missed don’t worry someone somewhere has made a business’s out of it, providing high quality goods and services. I am really looking forward to my beautiful 3 seat beach camper (was due this month but now not sure because of factory closures) I am also looking forward to pimping it up with Solar Panels to be off grid, deep shag carpets and an assortment of somewhat extravagant and probably ridiculous addictions, but my kids will love and it my wife will tut.

Picking up a rental tomorrow and off to Yorkshire Dales for the weekend.

One weekend out from the nicest weather of the year and instead we have snow!

The kids and I are looking forward to an adventure. My wife less so due to the prospect of chilly rainy weather :)

Photo from a webcam in the area

B9CCFB2C-9EF3-4597-A424-9AF9A8B4DF39.png

Rented the Ocean and really enjoyed the van but glad we have ordered a Beach.

Didn’t use the kitchen at all and would have preferred the extra width.

Does anybody know if the way the doors on the Ocean close the last tiny bit is available on the beach?

This is the only thing I think I’ll miss. And possibly the screen behind the steering wheel.

2FCAB38A-7589-4E8D-AD91-E577BF9248DF.jpeg

Does anybody know if the way the doors on the Ocean close the last tiny bit is available on the beach?

This is the only thing I think I’ll miss. And possibly the screen behind the steering wheel.

View attachment 91307
Power close is available as an extra, it is invaluable, I have it on the slider and the tailgate, it saves having to slam the door/ tailgate ( even the kids get it )

View attachment 91307
Don’t miss spec’ing Power Close. No one likes a late night door slammer on the campsite!

@Perfectos for some reason it’s not available to add on the Beach Camper spec on the configurator (or in the brochure) but I’ve just asked the dealer to see if they can add it on.

They have added on the power sliding door but not the power latching o_O

Perhaps they can’t add this for UK orders?

They have added on the power sliding door but not the power latching o_O

Perhaps they can’t add this for UK orders?
I understand the power sliding door beeps annoyingly when closing, perhaps that has been dealt with in camp mode. Otherwise everyone on the campground will know your nighttime loo schedule.

@clarinetbcn yeah I read about the beeping too. I’ve also read some horror stories about the power door stopping working whilst somebody was camping.

If they can’t add the power latching then I will keep the door as standard. And hopefully some company can retrofit it