Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Considering a California Beach for adventures with my family of 4

BugglePopples

BugglePopples

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hey everyone,

I’m planning on buying a VW California to use for adventures with my wife and kids (Our boy is 3 and our girl is just about to turn 1)

Every time I’m researching on Google this forum comes up and I’ve found a lot of useful info on here so thought I should join :)

We are thinking of getting a 6.1 Ocean Camper with the 2 seater bench in the green two tone.
Probably with the extra seat incase we ever have a third baby. It won’t be our main vehicle so with low millage each year I’m hoping it will last us for a long time.

We used to camp a lot before having kids but haven’t ever been with them (We have been renting cottages recently but this takes a lot of planning. But with a camper we can just head off somewhere on a Friday after work if it’s a nice weekend)

Am I right thinking we should probably hire one before we commit to buying?

Although I’ve struggled to find any beach camper with the 2 seater bench to hire? So may hire an Ocean.

I’ve wanted a VW Camper for around 15 years since I was a teenager (I love the look of the T1 and T2. I would love the ID Buzz that’s coming out soon but a California version of that sounds years away.)

Anyway now feels like the right time to buy one especially with the 12 month wait on new orders!

You post says considering a California beach but then then you say in the message an t6.1 ocean? If you are considering a beach why wouldn’t you get the 3 seater bench if considering an extra seat?

It’s the “Beach camper” we are thinking of getting. For the larger downstairs bed.

I keep getting mixed up with the names

The 2 seater bench has a lot more storage than the 3 seater.

And currently there is only 4 of us. We are 50/50 on having a 3rd baby.

So I’d just store the extra seat incase we ever needed it.

Same boat here with kids 3 and 1 and considering the beach camper, that fold out mini hob and the lower road tax than the beach tour appeal.

I believe you can specify the beach camper with the 3 seater bench which would be the best of both worlds for me.

There isn’t actually not a lot more storage in a 2 seater beach as your get a storage bench but then the multiflex panel in the boots sits a little lower so you have less room underneath it in the boot.

The spare seat is not a great option for camping if you did decide to add another addition to the family as you would have to remove it to camp and it’s pretty heavy and difficult to remove.

Personally my thoughts would be an ocean of a family of 4 and a beach with a 3 seater bench if your considering becoming a family of 5

We had an se with 2 children, then the 3rd came along. Our se had the 5th seat but it just didn't work for camping. The weight of the seat, the hassle of taking it out and then putting it back, is back breaking.
We now have a 3 seater beach and it's great, though now the youngest is bigger we haven't tried camping in the last 2 years(due to you know what). Should be interesting in the coming months trying different sleeping arrangements. We have awnings and a blow up front seat bed, so will try things.

There isn’t actually not a lot more storage in a 2 seater beach as your get a storage bench but then the multiflex panel in the boots sits a little lower so you have less room underneath it in the boot.

The spare seat is not a great option for camping if you did decide to add another addition to the family as you would have to remove it to camp and it’s pretty heavy and difficult to remove.

Personally my thoughts would be an ocean of a family of 4 and a beach with a 3 seater bench if your considering becoming a family of 5
We disagree, we explored both the 3 seater & 2 seater Beach throughly. We opted for the 2 seater as in our opinion its more spacious and has greater storage compared to the 3 seater.

Same boat here with kids 3 and 1 and considering the beach camper, that fold out mini hob and the lower road tax than the beach tour appeal.

I believe you can specify the beach camper with the 3 seater bench which would be the best of both worlds for me.
You can, the only limitation is you cannot open the cooker with the bed out due to the higher height of the bed but otherwise wins in practicality IMHO.

The 3 seat beach wins in 5 seat mode, especially if you want to stop somewhere for a few hours sleep without popping the top or having stuff outside as there is space to pack below the MFB and only have bedding above, allows a quick conversion to grab some rest.

Plenty of frustrations too, and still way too small for me for living in but as a day van, second car, occasional camper, can’t beat it. And yes, I had an SE/Ocean first and changed.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the 5th seat.

I think I’ll hire a ocean and a beach 3 seater bench before making a decision.

I have also seen the multimac seat which allows 3 child seats on the 2 seater bench.

Which may be an option if we do end up with 3 kids whilst they are still young

550B444F-65A4-40BB-9F8C-F97A95C15C01.png

You've opened the classic Ocean vs Beach can of worms. You'll find as many opinions as there are people on this group.

We have a 7-seat 2019 Beach, two kids and go camping several times a year. Most of the year it's in 7-seat mode and used as a football team bus, for family trips, helping people move bits of furniture, etc. Five or six times a year it's in 5-seat mode with a storage / sink unit and a small awning.

Obviously we don't have the pull-out kitchen being a T6, but it is by far the most versatile vehicle I can imagine. Some would argue it's full of compromises as a family car and a camper, but we love it and wouldn't swap it for anything. Except maybe £100k so we could buy another one and bank the rest.

Hey everyone,

I’m planning on buying a VW California to use for adventures with my wife and kids (Our boy is 3 and our girl is just about to turn 1)

Every time I’m researching on Google this forum comes up and I’ve found a lot of useful info on here so thought I should join :)

We are thinking of getting a 6.1 Ocean Camper with the 2 seater bench in the green two tone.
Probably with the extra seat incase we ever have a third baby. It won’t be our main vehicle so with low millage each year I’m hoping it will last us for a long time.

We used to camp a lot before having kids but haven’t ever been with them (We have been renting cottages recently but this takes a lot of planning. But with a camper we can just head off somewhere on a Friday after work if it’s a nice weekend)

Although I’ve struggled to find any beach camper with the 2 seater bench to hire? So may hire an Ocean.

I’ve wanted a VW Camper for around 15 years since I was a teenager (I love the look of the T1 and T2. I would love the ID Buzz that’s coming out soon but a California version of that sounds years away.)

Anyway now feels like the right time to buy one especially with the 12 month wait on new orders!
I was in a similar position 7 years ago, (but with 3 young kids) went for it and it was best decision I made. It was a fantastic addition to the family and it changed our lives. I doubt you’ll regret it.

I’ve had 3 beaches since 2016 and am currently Van less but we all really miss it.

I’ve currently got a Kombi on order but I shouldn’t of sold my Beach until it arrived. It’s made me realise what i had!

Hey everyone,

Hi. We got a 3 seat beach camper delivered last year. We have a 5 and 2 year old but don’t want to have more!

We chose a beach over the ocean for what we perceived to be the potential to have more internal space, including a bigger bed. We chose the 3 seat over the 2 seat beach because we imagined that one of us parents would still be sat in the back with the two kids on longer journeys.

We are really happy with the decisions we made and have had a great first 12 months, which have included:
- Many many camping trips. Opportunistic one nighters to 1 week plus stays.
- Brilliant van for day trips and using as a base for picnics, naps, changes, feeding, etc
- Throwing a bikes of snowboards in the back and heading out for the day.
- Pushing the seat and rear table forward and having a giant free space for moving furniture, tip runs, etc.
- Recently adding a 6th seat and (possibly 7th in the future) and taking grandparents with us.

When I was thinking of ordering (and spending a huge amount of money) there were lots of comments on here from people saying they wished they’d done it earlier when their kids were young. I’m really happy that we now have and would recommend you do the same, whatever derivative you choose!

Also can see you are in Yorkshire and so am I. If you are nearby and wanted to have a look at mine then just let me know.

Renting is a good idea.
Vwcampersales used to have a deal with Campervantastic to refund rental if you bought a van.
We bought our California when my wife was pregnant. My daughter is now 11 and son 8. We’ve had many fabulous holidays touring France and Spain.

I would recommend renting first. It’s not for everyone. If you plan on camping a lot in UK that can be quite challenging with small kids. We always try to go where it’s hotter as this means you spend little time cooped up inside the van.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Lots of useful info given :) and points to think about that I hadn’t considered.

I went to a showroom today and saw the Ocean spec for the first time. It’s really well made and I can completely see why people like the Ocean so much.

I’ve put a hire request in for a local company to hire an Ocean and will see how we get on for a long weekend in it.

We always try to go where it’s hotter as this means you spend little time cooped up inside the van.

Once we have a camper then we plan to go when the weather forecast is good. At the moment we have to plan so far ahead because we need a cottage / hotel it’s pot luck with the weather.

we have an Ocean/ SE and a Multimac. It works well and should do us until our oldest is 12

This is good to know. Do you have 3 kids? This would last us around 8 years based on our oldest currently.

Also can see you are in Yorkshire and so am I. If you are nearby and wanted to have a look at mine then just let me know.

Thanks for this offer. How you describe what you use it for is exactly what I’m thinking of using it for!

Stating the obvious but physically the ocean and the 2 beach variants have the same space inside. With the beach you have the option of configuring that space how you want it and in a flexible/changeable way. With the ocean you don’t have to think about that and have some neat storage and living solutions built in. I’ve a 3 seat beach and for me that works best - I prefer to cook outside both at home and particularly when camping so the internal hob would be an ornament for me. The sink is handy I’m sure but I quite like the social at campsite washing stations and a proper sized washing up bowl. As for the wardrobe and cupboards they would offer me little advantage over my Vanessa window bags and storage in the rear pullout tray I built. What I particularly like about the 3 seat beach is that when I am inside with my kids there is roughly 50% more free space in the back than in the ocean so feels less cramped. You’ll get lots of perspectives and there is only one answer - what works for you and your family. Good luck with your choices.

Hey everyone,

Never owned (or wanted) an Ocean but have owned a self-upgraded/converted Transporter T5.1 for 7 years and a T6 Cali Beach for last two, and what I wanted, and still want, in a van is flexibility. The sliding (on rails) full bench seat means your van's whatever you need it to be on any given day – mostly a saloon with max (full width) seating, and maximum space moving stuff. But then, I use my van as my daily runner/car because I love driving it. For you, provided you can install 3 kids in the back seat of an Ocean (is this possible??), it sounds like one of those might suit you better, given it'll be parked up when not on an adventure. Rent and try before you buy!

Never owned (or wanted) an Ocean but have owned a self-upgraded/converted Transporter T5.1 for 7 years and a T6 Cali Beach for last two, and what I wanted, and still want, in a van is flexibility. The sliding (on rails) full bench seat means your van's whatever you need it to be on any given day – mostly a saloon with max (full width) seating, and maximum space moving stuff. But then, I use my van as my daily runner/car because I love driving it. For you, provided you can install 3 kids in the back seat of an Ocean (is this possible??), it sounds like one of those might suit you better, given it'll be parked up when not on an adventure. Rent and try before you buy!
Oh you have two kids. Sorry. Misread.

@vananarama Since I’ve had a test drive earlier this week i’m thinking of getting rid of my car. And using a California Beach Camper (3 seater bench) as my main vehicle.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos, looking on instagram at Vans and searching on this forum and I think using it as my main vehicle would mean we use it more for adventures. As it will always be ready to go.

I only do around 100 miles a week for my commute to work as I work from home a few days each week post Covid. And rarely travel for work. So I could in theory swap my company car for a California.

And I could use my wife’s car if I needed to have a more normal car for whatever reason.

@vananarama Since I’ve had a test drive earlier this week i’m thinking of getting rid of my car. And using a California Beach Camper (3 seater bench) as my main vehicle.

I’ve been watching a lot of videos, looking on instagram at Vans and searching on this forum and I think using it as my main vehicle would mean we use it more for adventures. As it will always be ready to go.

I only do around 100 miles a week for my commute to work as I work from home a few days each week post Covid. And rarely travel for work. So I could in theory swap my company car for a California.

And I could use my wife’s car if I needed to have a more normal car for whatever reason.

Yeah, I use the wife's car if I need a "more normal car" which is basically only when visiting the local recycling centres because the Council doesn't let (even non commercial) vans in to them as readily.

I would argue there's a pro and a con to your thinking: the pro is that a Transporter van (or any variation on that theme, especially more comfy ones, like a Caravelle or California) is so driveable that they're a pleasure to use daily. And if something crops up during your day – need to carry a box etc. you've the space to do it. Thinking back to lockdown (we'd bought the Cali two months prior to the start of the pandemic hitting the UK), it was a godsend to have such a vehicle for safe outings, being able to picnic happily in the van. And likewise in normal times, I would argue the 'day van' nature of these vans is the best thing about them.

Trying to be objective, however, now that you've mentioned the point about being more ready because it's used all the time, I would argue the opposite. In addition to any wear and tear, and the higher risk of prangs, bumps, and ignorant eejits dooring your large side panels, the fact that as it's a daily runner, it can actually be less 'ready to rock' come Friday or Saturday without a good clear out and quick clean. Whereas a dedicated camper/adventure vehicle is probably waiting on the driveway, cleaned (assuming you did when you go home last time), mostly packed and primed, with its tongue hanging out impatiently waiting to escape.

The other thing I wasn't sure about was whether I wanted to be (seen) driving around in basically an RV, something that makes you look like you might be on holiday(!). Turns out, I don't care.

By the way, I recommend getting an automatic gearbox, especially if you're going to be using it regularly/daily. I don't think I'll ever go back to a manual now.

Thanks for the advice @vananarama thinking about it my car does tend to attract prams and muck from kids bikes in the boot etc.

My wife and I both have company cars that are electric so there is very little cost to us to keep them. (Which is why I can justify having a new California as potentially an additional vehicle). I suppose with the 12 month long lead time I’ll have plenty time to think about it.

The plan is to keep the California a long time (10 years +).

Although we haven’t rented the Ocean yet. My wife and I have decided that the config we want is the Beach Camper with the 3 seater bench.

Now I just need to think about the options for the 1000th time

I am hoping to place my order soon (before renting the ocean) as I am wanting to get in the queue as would like the vehicle around this time next year.

I’ve had 3 Beaches…
2 without heater and 1 with and I’d definitely recommend you tick the Parking Heater option first. Changes the whole use and feel of the van throughout the whole year.

Then the rest are all personal..
My choices, no particular order
2) LED lights
3) 3 Zone Climate for rear vents
4) Heated Seats
5) Fogs
6) Comfort Mattress
7) LED interior lights
8) Panoramic Roof
9) Privacy
10) Extra side window for air flow through
11) Rear Cam
12) Parking Sensors
13) 18” Alloys (the Wider Wheels look better in the arches)
14) Lights and Vision.
15) Towbar
16) 3 Seat Bench
17) Art Velours

@2haw thanks for this. Your list is very similar to our current options wishlist!

We have everything on your list selected except:

5) Front Fog Lights - Didn't think I would use often. (Will have the LED's which are brighter than standard?)

13) 18" Alloys - I prefer the 18" look but then the vehicle doesn't come with a spare tyre?

15) Towbar - I have the towbar preparation but have never used a towbar previously.

We also have the following selected:

A) 235/55 All-season tires - Better handling than 215/60?

B) Navigation System - For the larger screen and wireless apple Carplay (I use google maps for my Sat nav). Plus a backup sat nav if my phone is out of signal.

C) Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat

D) Electric wing mirrors

We also wanted to add a 6th removable seat. But this doesn't seem to be compatible with the 3 bench Ocean Camper on the website configurator.

Although I am sure I have seen photos on here of people with the Ocean Camper with an extra seat?