Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Commodity Traders

D

danny13

VIP Member
A cali I missed out in November has resurfaced for sale, see if you can spot the difference between the two adverts...

Main Dealers advert - Nov 2012
nov_zps46f72a40.png

Private advert - Jan 2013
jan_zpsae834429.png

If nothing else, it appears to be going backwards from a mileage perspective (assumin it is the same van) and up in price.

Sorry.... you're going to have to expand on that one. Looks like 2 different vehicles to me?

5000 differences!!

Mileage is a red herring (dealers are generally are a bit inaccurate stating mileage).

I called up about the advert to see how flexible the seller was with his price (obviously armed with the knowledge that an identically spec'd van sold for £5k less at a main dealer). Turns out it is the same van, the seller is a home cali trader making a profit.

I know a Cali is worth what you are willing to pay for it..... however if I purchased a Cali privately only to discover it had been sold months earlier by a main dealer £5000 cheaper I would not be happy. I know market forces yada yada...but even so certainly a case of "caveat emptor"!

I know 4motion demand a small premium but the van is now overpriced and I hope he doesn't sell it!

I would only pay £30k for that.. £31k at a push. After that you're advancing into facelift territory!

Also if he is a dealer and making a profit he is acting illegally by listing it as a private advert. When you call up make sure you ask ' have you still got the vehicle for sale' and see if he says ' which one'

To be honest I generally don't see your point.

You missed out the first time it was sold, second time it's too expensive. Move along and look for another.

If the second seller can achieve his asking price, by finding a person willing to buy it from him at that price because that's what they are prepared to pay, then who are you to expect differently??

It's not different to what all sellers of items or products do, they try to make a profit.

danny13 said:
Stu said:
I generally don't see your point.
that doesn't surprise me, but others do see my point.

Not really. You've had one comment to say hope he doesn't sell it which I don't think is an especially fair comment. Why would you wish that of someone whom has done you no wrong?

As I have already said if he finds a buyer at that price then good luck to him, equally if you managed to 'steal' a Cali off of someone for a bargain price I'd say good luck to you. Buyer and Seller beware is the key.

We can all have an opinion of it being too expensive or not, we can discuss it, but I see no reason to be concerned on whether he sells it or not just because you are bitter that you missed out on buying it.

danny13 said:
Stu said:

Bottom line I suppose is that if that's what they want to sell it for then its upto them ,as its their Cali ... I hope they get what they want ,so helps the Cali residuals stay high otherwise cheap cali's means they start becoming run of the mill ...

Something doesn't stack up either. The advert for the second van clearly says one previous owner.

If it is as you claim the same van as previously sold then it must have been sold within the trade by the Franchised dealer to the current advertiser who is in Christchurch otherwise it would have had to be registered to him.

The second add also mentions a factory tow bar, the first doesn't although it's possible this was overlooked by the dealers.

Whilst I agree with you in some respects Stu, the main point I wanted to make was buyer beware!

I'm just thinking of the people who haven't got the same technical nous to research the market as me and are about to pay £5000 over the odds from their pension pot - I made the same mistake before with a used motorhome so wouldn't want it to happen to others.

I'm not bitter about missing out, I really don't like the blue colour. Original advert was VW Van Centre, Robinsons, I called them about the original advert a couple of months ago.

Stu said:
danny13 said:
Stu said:

Not really. You've had one comment to say hope he doesn't sell it which I don't think is an especially fair comment. Why would you wish that of someone whom has done you no wrong.

....from the point of view that I didn't want anyone to pay over the odds, and not that I hope he doesn't sell it at all.

Poorly worded by myself... too many nightshifts!!

We're all entitled to trade whatever and whenever we want.

Tangle Foot said:
....from the point of view that I didn't want anyone to pay over the odds, and not that I hope he doesn't sell it at all.

Poorly worded by myself... too many nightshifts!!

We're all entitled to trade whatever and whenever we want.

I kind of realised what you meant, I hoped you wouldn't have really meant it in any other way. :D