Club joker high top

The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Does anyone on here own the new vw club joker high top? Interested on there opinion.

I know there was a chap called Paul but think he is inactive.

The T4 Exclusive owners (current, and former like me) may be the nearest you'll get. Paul went from an SE to the Joker but I think sold it due to health problems.

How are you getting on with the opposite to what I want to do?
I'm looking for a vw club joker (hightop) 4motion
If anyone wants to swap?
Going to live in it off grid for most of the year that's why I want extra space.

I think it's a good vehicle for you, particularly if you know the SE and feel that won't be ideal for what you've got planned.

The extra 400mm or so in length is a bit of an issue at Tesco's and (at least in the T4) the high top did make it feel like you were driving something much bigger, but if you are living in it, the warmth and protection of the high top will be a big plus. As will the shower etc!

It is a big step up in terms of thinking about it as a mini apartment (vs an SE) with only minor inconveniences in comparison. I don't know what is happening with demand and residuals. There are so few about to judge, but I'd push hard on a deal (and risk missing out) unless your timescale is urgent.

Sometimes I wish that I could live with the limitations of the club joker. If I could live with the length, height and inflexibility then I would have one tomorrow.

We tested a new club joker and got close to buying, in Sweden we don't really have this 'Tescos car park challenge', roads and towns are generally more spacious and wild camping the norm over campsites, so with solar on the go it's almost the perfect but in many ways, we just needed more a daily and weekender and I couldn't get used to the extra weight up top and nimbless, but it's a cracking bus for the more camper who enjoys longer periods in the sticks.

Yes the high roof thing does worry me, but like the idea of camping where ever and the extra space and facitities. I've had a lwb T5 before so the parking I never found an issue, plus my local asda has made there spaces bigger. No more fears of coming back to a scratched Cali (well less chance dare I say).

My Cali is amazing and I even use mine to workout of, only tempted to swap as I have a chance to go off traveling.

There's been a few club jokers sold so was hoping we may have one hiding amougst us.

Would you not consider the Peugeot vans...?
I think, once you start to move away from the California form. It’s probably best to look at the advantages of a slightly allround bigger vehicle, especially if you intent to use it full time.

https://www.chausson-motorhomes.com/gamme/vans/

Bit of a thread resurrection but….

Mrs Chipbutty has decided that she wants an onboard toilet, so thinking of switching the Beach for a 4 berth Hymer elevating roof, or, Joker fixed high top. EV means that camper is now only used for camping / surfing and my local spots do not have restrictive height bars.

Does the Joker have fixing points on the side of the roof for a surfboard rack, photos of the roof seem to show a couple of blank lugs which must be for mounting something?

Seen a few vans in France on the motorway with boards mounted on the side, so wondered if these were DIY or factory fit? The vans have all looked fairly new so couldn’t imagine the owners drilling into their shiney new vans!

Mrs Chipbutty has decided that she wants an onboard toilet, so thinking of switching the Beach for a 4 berth Hymer elevating roof, or, Joker fixed high top. EV means that camper is now only used for camping / surfing and my local spots do not have restrictive height bars.

Does the Joker have fixing points on the side of the roof for a surfboard rack, photos of the roof seem to show a couple of blank lugs which must be for mounting something?

Seen a few vans in France on the motorway with boards mounted on the side, so wondered if these were DIY or factory fit? The vans have all looked fairly new so couldn’t imagine the owners drilling into their shiney new vans!
Mine has the lugs but I’ve no idea whether they are for mounting anything. I think they are part of the fixing for the high top. No obvious strengthening inside. @The Blue Merle might know.
Might be worth a call to Campersales in your neck of the woods as they’re the Westfalia dealer.

I rented a Toyota Hiace hi top for 4 weeks in New Zealand and loved it. I can really see the advantages. Storage was great. It had a microwave and a cafetière!

I am always stooping in the California, even when the roof and bed are up. I always forget. I like to think I would get over that in a hi top.

You should take a look at a Merc Sprinter based Hymer. The couple I bought my Calibed mattress from last night had upgraded to one from a California. It looked really well designed with some off-roading capability.
Looked similar to this

Depends if you want an internal shower. We haven’t used ours once in the 10 months we’ve had the van.
The fixed toilet is great, and the area to hang wet towels etc, but decided on going for a bespoke Crafter build.
Getting rid of the toilet area for some sort of slide out Thetford and more comfortable rear seats which slide up and down the internal space for greater flexibility. Clawing back loads of internal space from the shower cubicle.

Hymer have a new product coming

I can’t even with the name.
Who’s a little cross camper ?
I love the Hymer’s, but not this name hahahahahah

I can’t even with the name.
Who’s a little cross camper ?
I love the Hymer’s, but not this name hahahahahah

I didn’t think it was too bad. Looks like Hymer are really trying to look into new angles.
Some interesting concepts and I’m sure we will have lots more info post Düsseldorf show…

I didn’t think it was too bad. Looks like Hymer are really trying to look into new angles.
Some interesting concepts and I’m sure we will have lots more info post Düsseldorf show…
Looks great to me. The flexibility combined with a quality product. Definitely a market for this type of camper. Far too many Ducato layouts with the fixed bed and bathroom taking up most of the space. A pull out toilet is fine for many, lounge space in a 5.4m van is more use to me than a cubicle.

Not sure about the front end. Has an odd expression. Based on a Fiat? Personally I would prefer a MB Sprinter chassis as used on the Vision Venture.

face.jpg

There is fixing points on side and roof which was for a translift (posh roof rack).
Unfortunately westfalia stopped selling it.
You could get something made.
Webbah has used airline rails think he had some stuck on.
Will see if I can find some pics of lift rack it was a beast, there was a guy with a t5 joker on YouTube with one think it was a German.

Not sure about the front end. Has an odd expression. Based on a Fiat? Personally I would prefer a MB Sprinter chassis as used on the Vision Venture.

View attachment 112941

I’ve tested out both Merc and Crafter and prefer the Crafter.
I believe they’re coming, but no news on dates or prices. Could well be end of 2024 going into 2025.

The MAN based Sven Hedin is another great option with a transverse bed arrangement and pop out extension, if you want to go the VW group route.

There is fixing points on side and roof which was for a translift (posh roof rack).
Unfortunately westfalia stopped selling it.
You could get something made.
Webbah has used airline rails think he had some stuck on.
Will see if I can find some pics of lift rack it was a beast, there was a guy with a t5 joker on YouTube with one think it was a German.
Ah…something like this; although I don’t really need it to slide down, as find more moving parts means more to rattle! so silkaflex rails on the side would work. Do you know if there is a small void behind the GRP roof? If so could also use a few wellnuts + silkaflex.

So can’t find the genuine westy one at mo but this company would be able to make one they do bespoke stuff and that is the same rack design on a LT it pulls down to load boards (that’s a pic in the loading position).IMG_4993.png

IMG_4993.png

Ah…something like this; although I don’t really need it to slide down, as find more moving parts means more to rattle! so silkaflex rails on the side would work. Do you know if there is a small void behind the GRP roof? If so could also use a few wellnuts + silkaflex.

You beat me to the post!!!
They will make you anything you want I’ve heard

Depends if you want an internal shower. We haven’t used ours once in the 10 months we’ve had the van.
The fixed toilet is great, and the area to hang wet towels etc, but decided on going for a bespoke Crafter build.
Getting rid of the toilet area for some sort of slide out Thetford and more comfortable rear seats which slide up and down the internal space for greater flexibility. Clawing back loads of internal space from the shower cubicle.

Hymer have a new product coming

Seen a few of these in France, 6m long so quite practical with 2 full size beds with no faffing; You can spec the rear bed so that can be moved up in various points towards the ceiling to maximise storage underneath:

That said still veering towards the Joker as only a bit longer than the Cali, so still easy to use day to day.

This is one option for mounting racks on the Club Joker High roof:

I decided to DIY and installed some airline rails with Sika Flex. I'm very pleased with this as it works well and looks much cleaner. I use this for Surfboards and SUP's in summer and Snowboards in the winter with some Thule racks. In addition I hang an Ecoflow 220 watt solar panel on the side of the van when I need a little more power in addition to my roof panels:

IMG_3852.jpeg

Back