Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Ocean vs Westfalia Club Joker

Dasprocket

Dasprocket

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I had a VW California Ocean T6.1 for 6 months and loved her. But after a bad crash, not my fault, the insurance company called it a total loss. I am now looking to buy a new campervan.
The one major problem I had with the California Ocean was the pop top and how cold it got, so have been looking at high tops instead. I have found the Westfalia Club Joker, which is a bit larger than the California.

Has anyone else changed from a California Ocean to a Club Joker? Pros and Cons?
Or should I buy another ocean?
Thanks

I had a VW California Ocean T6.1 for 6 months and loved her. But after a bad crash, not my fault, the insurance company called it a total loss. I am now looking to buy a new campervan.
The one major problem I had with the California Ocean was the pop top and how cold it got, so have been looking at high tops instead. I have found the Westfalia Club Joker, which is a bit larger than the California.

Thanks
Only one person who can answer that question really thoroughly @The Blue Merle

We had a LWB T6 converted by Autohaus in Minehead to their Camelot Highlife (hightop) specification. We knew from the start that we did not want a California. Autohaus were, in my opinion, excellent to work with and have provided excellent after sales service. Over conversion was completed in March 2018 and just last week an issues cropped up with they talked me through on the phone. None of this waiting around for VW Commercial to get their act together. Give them a call if interested.

Thanks
I changed from a T5.1 California SE to a Club Joker.
The extra length and height make a big difference to the “feel“ of the van. Having a loo, shower and kitchen area all accessible without having to do any reconfiguring of beds etc gives it more of Motorhome (compact) feel. Ours is not a daily driver so the high top isn’t an issue. Although there is considerably less boot storage we haven’t found that an issue as we no longer need to carry a porta potty and toilet tent. There is plenty of storage in the living area especially if you don’t need the “downstairs“ bed, which we removed to free up space. All our bedding is stored on the upper bed.
@The Blue Merle will hopefully be along to advise (it was seeing his 2 Jokers that convinced me to make change!

Thanks
What do the chaps on the Club Joker Club site think?

What do the chaps on the Club Joker Club site think?
There's not many people with Club Jokers on the Westfalia fb group. Still quite a rare van.
We loved ours as a campervan not a daily driver. The Ocean wins hands down for small compact daily driver. Comfort levels for warmth, bathroom, sleeping and being able to cook, shower etc whilst bed is setup was way above the Cali. Build quality very similar.
One downside now to the Joker is waiting time for new one and price.

Thanks
It all depends on what you want the van for.
I had two jokers over 4 1/2yrs.
Lived full time in my old T6 for a few years and it was perfect, as I liked to stealth park in the middle of nowhere down small narrow roads.
Having the hot water and shower allowed me to be off grid for up to 7-8days at a time. The hard top is warmer but a isotop on a cali and smaller space I never found cold.
A good sleeping bag with liner is better than any duvet. Or if on hookup electric blank or vango 12v heat mat works a treat.

There is loads of storage in them just not one big boot like a Cali, it’s more loads of smaller areas.
Van drives like a Cali apart from crosswinds etc on motorway.
My newer joker had a few issues the dealer was great, and I’d rather deal with them than VW.
Jokers only come with two year warranties and they cost a lot of money (not that much more than the crazy prices of a cali).

The roof bed is massive (long) but can be fun getting in and out when there’s two of you up there.
The kitchen sink is great as it’s full size, loads of drawers and windows.

I don’t have a joker at the moment as needed a van for house renovation so have a kombi camper (self conversion).

If you buy one then I would make sure it’s from a westfalia dealer unless it’s an older one out of warranty.

Another bonus is joker is available 4motion.

I changed from a T5.1 California SE to a Club Joker.
The extra length and height make a big difference to the “feel“ of the van. Having a loo, shower and kitchen area all accessible without having to do any reconfiguring of beds etc gives it more of Motorhome (compact) feel. Ours is not a daily driver so the high top isn’t an issue. Although there is considerably less boot storage we haven’t found that an issue as we no longer need to carry a porta potty and toilet tent. There is plenty of storage in the living area especially if you don’t need the “downstairs“ bed, which we removed to free up space. All our bedding is stored on the upper bed.
@The Blue Merle will hopefully be along to advise (it was seeing his 2 Jokers that convinced me to make change!
Glad you are enjoying the van.

The forest campsites I bump into on are not run by caravan and camping anymore, forestry commission are running them until they find someone to take them all on.
You have to book on pitchup website now and price has gone up!!!!

Glad you are enjoying the van.

The forest campsites I bump into on are not run by caravan and camping anymore, forestry commission are running them until they find someone to take them all on.
You have to book on pitchup website now and price has gone up!!!!
Setthornes won’t be the winter bargain anymore then!

Still searching for a (new) good one....hard to come by and what will be the future of diesel driven campervans.....still in "two minds"

Still searching for a (new) good one....hard to come by and what will be the future of diesel driven campervans.....still in "two minds"
If you’re after new then, you will have to look out for campersales or wandahome stock vehicles they get a few each year and tend to be only 2WD imagine they are £90k plus now

Back