Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cigarette charger

laurentfox

laurentfox

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Greetings all, looking for a little assistance.

I had my VW T5 in to repair the ventilation system by VW Beziers. They repaired the system well but broke the sliding ash tray/drinking holder so that it wouldn't stay closed. After stopping payment on the vent system repair, they finally agreed to replace the ash tray/drink holder tray. That was done however I have just found out the cigarette lighter doesn't charge anymore. It lights up but will give no charge (both when the vehicle is running and off). I have checked the fuses both behind the bottle holder and under the seat, all fuses good. I pulled the cigarette lighter fuse and light when off as it should. Put it back in and lit up but still no charging power. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience, I really hate to go back to that VW as they are a pain to work with. Thanks in advance. Laurent

VW Westfalia, T5 2005

Depends what you are trying to charge. If it is an iphone with an aftermarket charger it may not be the 12v outlet but an updated ios which blocks the charger. I have had this on numerous occasions.

I think that some vans had cigarette sockets with an illuminated ring round them so they could be seen at night. If so there will be 3 wires going to the socket: One negative and 2 positive.
Sounds like the +ve for the illuminated ring is connected OK but the +ve for the power to the socket is either broken or disconnected somewhere.

Depends what you are trying to charge. If it is an iphone with an aftermarket charger it may not be the 12v outlet but an updated ios which blocks the charger. I have had this on numerous occasions.
Thanks AJspicer, I tried my iphone but also my garmin gps. Plus also plugged in a 12v to USB converter which normally lights up. All failed so I think more than that. Cheers Laurent

I think that some vans had cigarette sockets with an illuminated ring round them so they could be seen at night. If so there will be 3 wires going to the socket: One negative and 2 positive.
Sounds like the +ve for the illuminated ring is connected OK but the +ve for the power to the socket is either broken or disconnected somewhere.
Thanks Owen_H, that sounds very reasonable. I really believe when VW reinstalled the new sliding drawer, they didn't reconnect the wire and the sliding drawer and cig lighter are all new, one piece. Guess I will take it back to them....appreciate the info. Laurent