Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging van (starter) battery when on hookup

C

Cavilln

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Apologies if this has been answered before but I couldn't find the answer through a search.

As everyone knows (sometimes through unfortunate accidental discovery) the van starter battery does not charge when on hookup (in a pre-facelift Cali; I think VW later fixed this). This is unfortunate as the radio runs off this battery so a week of chilling and listening to music can leave you unable to start the engine to leave.

I have been told there is a gadget to plug into one of the sockets by the side of the sink (when on hookup as they don't work otherwise) and then charge the van starter battery via the cigarette lighter.

any clues?

Thanks

Nick
2005 cali SE (pre facelift)

Mmmmm. Many similar items don't have a good write-up. You'll never know until you need it.

I think the charger might be better all round.

I have a battery charger than can be plugged into the mains and then into the cup holder 12v socket to charge the vehicle battery. I've never had to use on the cali it camping but have used it on the drive when the batteries needed a boost.

Edit: May not be wise to use a charger this way as per post below. Needs researching.

Last edited:
Though manual says not to put any voltage into cig-light sockets.
There was info that hookup might charge main battery. Checked voltage, it doesn't.

Although having a battery charger on board for the main battery could come in handy, many find it easier to use a separate device for music. (iPhone plus Bluetooth speaker etc), kept charged from the leisure side.

I bought a T4 changeover loom for the radio which I've yet to fit off Travelvolts. Maybe there is one for the T5 too or it could be the same?

Back