Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carbon Monoxide

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
The manual says the diesel heater emits some CO - is it safe?! Obviously we'd leave a window slightly open but will we wake up the next morning?! Just being cautious as we have a 3 and a 1 year old.

Hi why don't you get a Co2 detector for piece of mind.

We just got one on Amazon, it was not expensive, it is small and battery powered so is portable. It normally sits in our kitchen, where we have a oil fired Rayburn, and It can also be used in our Cali when camping or even taken on holiday if we stay in holiday homes.

Wouldn't the CO2 enter the van via the window? Would you have the heater on and the window open?

In my experience these heater are under the body of the vehicle with a separate exhaust running out to the side. As yet I don't know where the Cali emits and fumes. I drive a MB Sprinter and havent had a problem but I did own a Galaxy a few years ago and I took it back because of the fumes invading the car. Both heaters were noisy also.

I believe the fumes come out somewhere underneath near the back. Having the window open makes it worse.
Lorry drivers have been using these heaters for years never heard of a problem.Keep the fumes separate from the air inside the van you should be fine

Calikev said:
I believe the fumes come out somewhere underneath near the back. Having the window open makes it worse.
Lorry drivers have been using these heaters for years never heard of a problem.Keep the fumes separate from the air inside the van you should be fine

Cheers Kev - handy info there! It works a treat though and the remote system is rather nifty too!

Yes I agree lovely when in the winter you can sit in the kitchen aim the remote at the van 10 min later
Hey presto 1 warm cosy defrosted van. Luxury

Calikev said:
Yes I agree lovely when in the winter you can sit in the kitchen aim the remote at the van 10 min later

Shhh!! I haven't told Shani about this feature yet!! She'll still have to defrost hers!!

Calikev said:
:idea: ......and don't forget that the 'Preheater or auxiliary coolant heating' ensures easy starting and hugely reduces engine wear on start up. :cool:

Chris

I asked about this also today. I was assured that there wasn't a problem. Would VW sell a vehicle that had such a flaw?? There may be some smell initially but this should become less as the heater is used.

I feel CM is something to be aware of but if used sensibly it shouldn't register in any way.

Back