Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsites in France; late May/early June

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We're off on our inaugral French holiday trip towards the end of next month. We have a plan and know where we want to go, even down to having identified several campsites we want to stay at (facilities like pool, attractions nearby etc..). However, when we've tried to book, none of them say it's necessary, despite many of them being in idyllic and/or hotspot locations (this was particularly surprising for campsites in the French Alps). Having never camped in France before, are they right? Is capacity really so much in excess of demand? Coming from UK camping where most of the time you've probably got little or no chance of rocking up to a even moderately popular campsite and getting on without a booking, it seems a very alien concept! We're travelling with a young child so it's not like we can spend all evening driving until we find somewhere, although I guess an Aire would count as an emergency stop.

Cheers

In my experience, you will have no problem during the low season. There are a gazillion camp sites in France. I would say it is the most camping-minded country you will find. If you'd be going in high season, I would not recommend going without booking, especially when you are looking for larger sites with more facilities. Unless you don't mind what sites you stay at and are willing to use camper spots (not real campings) But in low season, not a problem.

With 2 young kids (before they turned 4 and thus we could still travel in the low season) we never booked ahead when camping in France. Sometimes we'd book while on the road, say a day in advance if there was a site we'd really wanted to make sure we'd have a spot.

I'd say enjoy the freedom while you have it.

We booked three campsites in Brittany last year using the CAMC app and it seemed to work well.

I've used ACSI sites in May and they were absolutely deserted. I was the only 'resident' on a couple of them. So long as you avoid the French school holidays (the dates vary by region so check) you will be absolutely fine. Full blown holiday season doesn't kick in until much later in the summer.

Hi there. In my experience, it is easy to find a nice spot if you arrive to your destination before 14:00. I have never had a problem, not even in summer in the Dune de pilat área, near Bordeaux.

I guess an Aire would count as an emergency stop.
Emergency stop!? We have spent hundreds of nights on Aires……. they’re the best way to tour France :thumb See them as a really useful facility between camp sites. Either way, enjoy :)

I now stay mostly at municipal campsites when in France as you will find some cracking sites at very reasonable prices. In order to find municipal campsites use this link https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=46.39080276505134,-0.36252209374996625&z=5

To find any other campsite either in the UK or Europe I use the Archies Camping app

Emergency stop!? We have spent hundreds of nights on Aires……. they’re the best way to tour France :thumb See them as a really useful facility between camp sites. Either way, enjoy :)
I think if it was just my wife and I I’d agree but we have to think about playgrounds, pools etc these days!

Thanks everyone for the advice