Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in June - any tips

G

gatvol

I have never taken a camper to France before and we are planning to go to the South of France to get some June warmth. We are timing the trip to miss the French school holidays which begin on the 5th July

Do people have any beginners tips pls - how to identify suitable sites, should we worry about booking places for the night in advance - or just roll up ?

There seem to be guide books on "aires" or low-cost (indeed free) campervan parking places which may have a few basic amenities

My french is woeful, having remained unused since the 1980s!

Thanks

Get the aires book, forget speaking French, and gooooooo........be flexible and enjoy it.

If you want full service sites get an ACSI card and guide to off season sites. There are loads to chose from for 12,14 or 16 Euros. The sites are very high standard and we have been on sites where non-card holders have been paying double the ACSI rate. Vicarious Books, Camping and Caravan Club and the ACSI website all sell the card and guide. You won't need to book ahead. Most operators are well used to non-French speakers as many campers are British, Irish, Dutch, Danish, ...

Enjoy!

I've always found attempting the language pays dividends even if you get it wrong. School French will help and a phrase book for general stuff is useful. Mind you should you pose a question; forget working out the reply!!

We havent tried the campervan/motorhome aires but they do get high praise; I'd avoid overnighting in motorway aires though.

The ACSI card is worth seeking out.

Yep, agree, and even long unused French from school days will come is a great foundation

Great tip about the ACSI card. Thank you.

I live in France for six months of the year and enjoy taking my van there. The roads are great and parking is usually no problem. I love wild camping in France and have stayed in some delightful spots. I shall be taking my Cali there in May.

The best tip of all the above is to get the "aires" book. The aires along motorways (both toll and non-toll) are free and the facilites very good. Also there are several spots where you can park for free. Some supermarkets allow free parking overnite in their lot . Most rural villages have a camping-car parking area which is also free but the amenities are often not opened. Remember that heavy lorries are not allowed on the French roads on Sundays so this is agood time to motor on. Avoid like the plague driving during the August holliday weekends.....

You will have trouble stopping for free or "au naturel" along the coastal routes from May to September. It is not possible for example to wild park anywhere from Bordeaux to Biaritz in the high season. Most resort villages restrict where you can park your van. Outside this high season you can park most anywhere and nobody will bother you.

Away from the coast is much easier anytime, I have parked in beautiful spots in the Pyrenees and alongside river banks.

For specific regional advise drop me a note and if I know it I will be happy to share information.

Are you saying that you would spend the night on one of those ' Motorway Aires ' the type that have no services or human presence ?.......

As a very experienced free/wild camper who has parked up in about 20 countries while using the Cali.....I would never stay the night on one of those, in my view spooky and maybe asking for trouble....

As far as I experienced most have good facilities (although I am not very fond of the old style French toilets you find in the picnic aires). For an overnight in transit they are just fine.
I always stayed in aires with Petrol stations attached because they also have restaurants and shops. You can avoid the picnic only aires which offer no facility and tend to be unlit at nites.
The main aires in motorways are just fine for me, and they have separate parking areas for campers so there is no need to mix it with the truckers. As for security you cant be more secure as the ever present cameras look down upon you all night.

So yes the aires are for me...

I'm with Chris & Penny regarding the ACSI book/card.
Toured around Europe the last three years and always managed to find an ACSI site to stop on, most are excellent and definitely good value. I find it's always a risk booking unless you know the site, some sites we've had to pass by.
We only nearly failed once to get a pitch on spec. That was at Eguisheim near Colmar(well worth a visit), luckily having a California we could get to the last remaining pitch where larger motorhomes and caravans couldn't reach.
Only limitation for ACSI is that use is limited to off-peak , OK up till July and September onwards.
It's not the locals holidays that cause busy sites, I find that the Dutch (ACSI is Dutch managed) are everywhere in June, occupying 75% of sites.

Enjoy your trip

Hubert

We have been camping in France for about 40 years, first with the kids and then with a trailer tent, dome tent, caravan and now the great Cali.

Travelling we have stopped on 'busy' aires but they are dangerous. Vans get broken into whilst owners are asleep so not really to be recommended. We carried a whistle, a steel bar and kept our doors locked while sleeping.

However, we have never booked. During the summer season almost every place has a Municipal campsite. Not what you,d think, some are in beautiful positions for example the one at Le Puy is on the bank of the river in a lovely spot and not expensive. The one at Amboise is on an island in the middle of the Loire.So we always aim for Municipals, although we'll stay any where nice and not expensive.

Re using French, I would give it a try. It's always appreciated. And you may get better service!

David