Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz Finland

Exactly how cost effective would this be though, and what would the pay-back period be?
I spend about 70p / week on gas, sometimes less but not more.
I have yet to find out, as I have completely changed my travelling holidays and now expect to spend more time on UK sites. Previously my fridge ran on gas and I could expect to refill a 13kg cylinder every two weeks. Now the fridge runs on electricity (a potential problem if off grid?) so that's not consuming and I intend to eat out more, again reducing consumption. When I bought the van the dealer tried hard to convince me that electricity supply to the fridge and gas supply for cooking were not normally a problem for his "normal" customer. I can only wait and see. I agree that the cost effectiveness could be questionable, especially at my age, where buying green bananas is a risk.

It’s the most I have ever paid. It’s the only place I could find who sold it.
In Norway I got a free refill so swings and roundabouts.
In Bristol they are £37 now.
Out of interest, where in Norway did you get the 907 refilled?

Out of interest, where in Norway did you get the 907 refilled?
I can’t remember now, it was a place I found on Park4night. It May have been in Bodø. Their machine didn’t accept my card so she let me off. They had a machine that recharged the cylinder, I think it would have cost 12 euros.

I can’t remember now, it was a place I found on Park4night. It May have been in Bodø. Their machine didn’t accept my card so she let me off. They had a machine that recharged the cylinder, I think it would have cost 12 euros.

It was here:

Possibility to refill gas bottles. 10 kg bottle Euro 25.- / 200.- NOK ESS Partner AS Ronvikfjaera 1 8012 Bodo
http://www.park4night.com/lieu/157668/1588838505482.png

That’s interesting. I wonder how much it costs.
I think that I was quoted £600 as an add on extra to a new T6. (Not California, but near equivalent). I feel that this is only worthwhile if it is specified from new and can also free up space, whereas a Gaslow cylinder type system can be easily retro installed at less cost in most campers, but not, it seems, in Californias. I am sure that there are enterprising converters to be found who could figure a way.

In France they are around 15 Euros and available in supermarkets. They are really hard to find in lots of countries. I agree it is a racket, there must be a better alternative.
In Bulgaria you could refill 907 at filling stations, that was 5 years ago though. Have you thought of refilling yourself? - strictly illegal but can be done

In Bulgaria you could refill 907 at filling stations, that was 5 years ago though. Have you thought of refilling yourself? - strictly illegal but can be done
I didn’t know this was an option. How would you go about his hypothetically?

Lots of info on this on yachtie forums, they are even more incensed than campers about Camping Gaz. Good chance of blowing yourself up unless you know what you are doing. There are adapters on the market which will facilitate liquid gas transfer from a large LPG cylinder to the Gaz cylinder. Main problem is over filling.

Buy a 15kg Calor gas bottle, should be able to buy on full one including the bottle for around £65 or a refill for around £30. Buy a length of rubber hose, probably around 1.5m and fittings to link the 15kg gas valve. Have the 15kg inverted above the 907. Be very careful not to over fill the 907, so weigh a full one and fill yours accordingly
I DON'T TELL YOU THIS!!

Over the years in various former Eastern European countries, I have taken my 13kg Calor gas cylinder to LPG depots and had it refilled and they would have done Camping Gaz if I'd had it. In Greece, I was even able to get an exchange because they had about 5 Calor cylinders "in stock". In rural areas, there are LPG refill stations which exclusively provide LPG, (no petrol) and these usually had a multitude of refill devices and would refill any half decent empty gas cylinder. It was always best to get the smokers out of the way first.

Last edited:
Buy a 15kg Calor gas bottle, should be able to buy on full one including the bottle for around £65 or a refill for around £30. Buy a length of rubber hose, probably around 1.5m and fittings to link the 15kg gas valve. Have the 15kg inverted above the 907. Be very careful not to over fill the 907, so weigh a full one and fill yours accordingly
I DON'T TELL YOU THIS!!
This is interesting, but having been involved with designing out potential electrostatic ignition sources in fuel systems in the past, it does sound well dodgy, unless everything is grounded.

This is interesting, but having been involved with designing out potential electrostatic ignition sources in fuel systems in the past, it does sound well dodgy, unless everything is grounded.
Like I mentioned, you've got a good chance of blowing yourself up unless you know what you are doing.

What is the red adaptor at the outlet of the red bottle made of? Is it plastic?

Is the hose designed to carry gas? e.g. Is it electrically dissipative material?

If it was me I would be checking with a multimeter that ALL parts were electrical bonded together before starting transfer. I would also be making the bottles secure so the can’t fall off or over.

I can understand the motivation, hope you have a spare pair of underpants handy...

Is the hose designed to carry gas? e.g. Is it electrically dissipative material?

If it was me I would be checking with a multimeter that ALL parts were electrical bonded together before starting transfer. I would also be making the bottles secure so the can’t fall off or over.

That’s the thumb wheel on the Gaslow brass easyfit POL connector. It’s 2 off the self high pressure gas pigtail hoses.

That’s the thumb wheel on the Gaslow brass easyfit POL connector. It’s 2 off the self high pressure gas pigtail hoses.
Sounds alright. I would just do the continuity checks on all the metal parts before starting then.

Easy to do - I have similar set up.

do not overfill - you will need reliable scales

Not clear in wiggly woo’s picture but under the campingaz cylinder is a set of scales to weigh the contents

Looking at Mr WWs photo and by the description of the adapter, he is using a propane bottle to refill a bottle which is intended to hold butane. The propane exerts a greater pressure than the butane, but I don't think that matters as the Campingaz cylinder should be O.K. for this. There could be problems though with the cooker gas regulation and control due to the different gas. The same procedure is possible (I'm told) with large butane cylinders and appropriate fittings