Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cameras?!

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
There seems to be a number of good photographers on here and I was after some advice.

I'm getting a little more into taking photos but will never be anything more than a very amateurish amateur that occasionally gets a bit lucky (oh the honour of having photos "liked" on FB by pro photographer mates of mine - very rarely!).

Our trusty Lumix TZ5 (10x zoom compact) is getting on a bit now and things have moved on with GPS, wifi and more.

I simply could not justify a full on SLR, partly because I can't be bothered to lug a bag of kit around.

So I've narrowed it down to two decent compacts (one is a sort of in between compact...), the TZ60 (30x zoom, great reviews, very small) and the more expensive GX7 - the latter has separate lenses so zoom is obviously dependent on the lens. It has GPS and wifi and gets absolutely wall to wall top reviews. It also looks flipping lovely.

Now to get near the 30x zoom of the TZ60 I need a fairly serious lens as well as more versatile ones for the GX7 but it might be worth it.

I'm taking all sorts from landscapes to zoomed in surf photos - hence the need for a fair bit of zoom.

Any suggestions from anyone?!

Can this get to 100 views without a single reply? :lol:

Hello
To start with; if you want to take good photographs, forget about zooms, especially zooms with high range (10 x or so).

Go for a fixed focal, bright lens, compact or mirrorless camera. If you need long focal lengths for your surf and other photos, then yes it should be mirrorless.
Sensor size is important, APS sensor gives decent results, anything smaller, not much.

What is your budget?
Cheers
Andrzej

Of the two you list I would choose the GX7 - mirrorless and a decent lens is a good thing!

Re: "lugging all the gear around" with a DSLR I only carry the camera, with lens attached, on a strap so not too much gear :thumb

As for GPS and WiFi I turn them off most of the time as the battery drain is significant. So don't be taken in by the gimmicks invest in one with a good lense (best aperture not best zoom!) and go for highest ISO rather than most Megapixels

Cheers; I'm definitely tempted by the GX7 then. It's about £600 with a fairly small lens.
The more automatic one is about £350ish.

Whilst I have the full on DSLR kit with the requisite extra lenses and extras that seem to accumulate carrying it all can be a chore. In the past I had a Fuji X100 and with Fuji offering excellent discounts at the moment in preparation for updated models I am going back to that camera (in the more modern "S" version). The benefits of sturdy build quality and outstanding picture quality in a well designed (think retro Leica) but small package will make it the camera I carry at all times.

At a recent photo store open day (Calumet) the whole Fuji range was on display and there was a good spread of models to suit anyone wanting to travel light without compromising on quality. There are fixed prime lens cameras such as the X100s, fixed Zooms in the X20/30 and then a few models with interchangeable lenses on the Fuji X mount. If you wanted the SLR flexibility without the bulk have a look at the XT-1.

Andy80F said:
Whilst I have the full on DSLR kit with the requisite extra lenses and extras that seem to accumulate carrying it all can be a chore. In the past I had a Fuji X100 and with Fuji offering excellent discounts at the moment in preparation for updated models I am going back to that camera (in the more modern "S" version). The benefits of sturdy build quality and outstanding picture quality in a well designed (think retro Leica) but small package will make it the camera I carry at all times.

At a recent photo store open day (Calumet) the whole Fuji range was on display and there was a good spread of models to suit anyone wanting to travel light without compromising on quality. There are fixed prime lens cameras such as the X100s, fixed Zooms in the X20/30 and then a few models with interchangeable lenses on the Fuji X mount. If you wanted the SLR flexibility without the bulk have a look at the XT-1.

Yes Fuji X-E2 or XT1, no doubt.
(X100 would nor suit, no long focal lens ability, which Kernoland wanted.)

I have heard great things about the Fuji compacts; I'll check them out too.

+1 for fuji X lens camera systems, but the X100 /X100s or new X100T would be no use for surf pictures :thumb

KernowLad said:
I have heard great things about the Fuji compacts; I'll check them out too.

Two of the Cali Calendar 2014 images were taken with Fuji X-E2, including the one from my avatar and November. Files straight from the camera, no post processing.

The XE2 does look very good and appears to ship with a decent lens too (the GX7s a a bit less impressive). I think the XT1 might be a bit big but it looks decent too.

It's a great avatar pic!

Hmmm...!!

Very similar situation and requirements to me...
My wife is a professional photographer and bought me a G16, after much research.
Amazing (but expensive)

I bought a TZ5 in 2008 and it has been all over the world with us for six years. It was a great camera but sadly I damaged the viewer screen. I bought a TZ60 this May. It has some nifty technical features such as HDR for backlighting, clever multi-shot processing for making decent hand held shots in very low light, a useable electronic viewfinder and a great 24-720 mm zoom range. Focusing is much faster than the TZ5 and anti shake at long zoom range is far better. However, if you are working within the parameters that would have given you a good picture with the TZ5, I don't think the TZ60 images are any better. Outside of that range, the overall quality is OK, but I think limited by the fact that Panasonic have pushed the lens to the limit. I think there is a bit of a lack of detail.

That's not to say that the TZ60 is a bad camera, but if you are expecting to be stunned by the improvements over the last six years, think again. Also, a lot of the features that make it seem like a grown up camera, such as RAW processing and full manual control, are a bit wasted because the limits of the lens f stop range and overall quality make it hard to improve on the Intelligent Auto setting JPEG results.

For me though, the viewfinder was a must, and I now wouldn't buy a camera without one.

So if your TZ5 is still good enough for everyday use - the one that goes in your pocket so you always have a camera with you - I'd hang on to it and buy something to complement it rather than replace it.

If I hadn't bought the TZ60 I would have bought the Olympus Stylus 1. It has a bigger sensor (1/1.7 instead of 1/2.3). I thought it was too bulky, but now I've handled it I think it's fine. Whilst nowhere near as big a sensor as the micro 4/3rds cameras, it is a step up for the smaller sensors, and does allow a decent 300mm zoom and even better a constant f2.8 throughout the range. It's a bit bigger, but still just about pocketable. It also has a very acceptable viewfinder. The basic law of physics is 'smaller sensor = smaller lens for the length of zoom', so that's the trade off you need to look at. In my experience lens quality must be considered as well as sensor size

Happy to tell you more about the TZ60 if you want.

Wow, brilliant reply Chris; thanks!

I'll digest all that and try and come up with a decision; never easy to my easily influenced brain...

+1 for Fuji x100s, which I have had since summer - absolutely brilliant.

The x100t is just out, so there will be great bargains to be had on X100s shortly.

No zoom though, as others have mentioned, but not missing it one bit.

Another vote for the Fuji compacts. I've had an X20 for a year or so, it's a massive improvement vs. a slightly cheaper Panasonic. As others have mentioned, it's about the quality of lens, sensor, software etc. rather than x zoom. Also I wanted a viewfinder, which cheaper compacts don't have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I purchased a Cannon Power Shot SX50 HS. It is bridge camera with 50 x optical zoom. Ive been photographing for about 60 years but I've never had so much fun as I have with this camera. It's optical zoom is incredible and this can then go up to 200x electronically. It has image stabiliser built in and full HD video.
I used to use all the special facilities it has but now I find the Auto mode is good enough for most things. Amazing! I wouldn't be without it.
This photo was taken from about 20feet away whilst I was sitting in a chair. Hand held no tripod.

Have Fun

image.jpg

I am a huge convert to GPS on a camera. I bought a unit for my SLR and use it all the time. As I primarily take outdoor photographs, from landscapes to holiday snaps, it is great to know precisely where a photo was taken. If you use photo management software - very cheap and often free - it automatically records on a map where the photographs were taken which direction the camera was pointing. You can then click on a map an bring up all photos taken in that area over the years.

When I am out in the Cali I often stop by the side of the road in Scotland, Lake District or wherever and take a few impulsive photos of the view on my way to somewhere else. With GPS recorded on the photos on I don't have to try to remember exactly where I was and I often go back to the same place, either on the same trip or another time, for a proper look around or long walk. I could, of course, just log it as a POI on the Cali Sat Nav but then I wouldn't have the photo to remind me of why it is a POI!

Doug

I have a Nikon DSLR kit and Fuji XE2 kit.
The Fuji X100 is a fixed lens and gives brilliant results but it is not as versatile as a zoom.
The Fuji 18-55 zoom is generally acknowledged to be very good for a zoom. Fits XE2 and XT1 - latter has a better grip and a tilt screen. Both have excellent viewfinders. Prime lenses are also available for the system.

The "super compact" (mainly zooms) market is hotting up and Canon, Pansonic and Fuji have all recently launched new cameras. The Panasonic LX 100 has a large sensor in a small body + 4k video. On paper it should be very good but at the moment varying reports about the quality of the lens. It has a viewfinder of sorts. It is coat pocket size (not shirt pocket)

The Canon G7X (similar name to pana GX7) has a 1" sensor (not quite as big as LX100) and has no viewfinder but a tilting and touchscreen. On paper it is very good but again mixed reports about the lens. It has a longer zoom than the pana and is smaller - shirt pocket size.

The Fuji X30 has retained the slightly smaller sensor of the X20 but has the XE2 excellent viewfinder. Longer zoom than the others. Tilt screen also. Coat pocket size.

All of the above are chasing the widely acknowledged king of the compacts for the past 2 years, i.e. Sony RX100 Mk iii. It has a 1" sensor, is shirt pocket size, has a viewfinder, same zoom length as the pana but produces excellent image quality. A proven camera whereas the others are not, except Fuji X30 which uses improved X20 sensor.

One other to consider is the Canon G1X mk2. A 24-120 equivalent zoom with a very good lens. The review sites have marked it down because they kept the previous model's sensor. Coat pocket size and heavier than the others

Lots of choice.

Hope this is helpful.

I moved away from Nikon dslr's to fuji xt-1. The fixed focal lenses are some of the best money can buy with many professionals saying they are as good if not better than Leica that cost many thousands of pounds.

Brilliant info thanks - but more indecision now...!

The camera in your hands is worth 7 in the shops (even if they are much better!) like lots if things, sometimes you should probably just pick one and get on with it...

Since you started with the TZ60 on your list, here's a good test that seems pretty consistent with my experience, and also compares it with a couple of other of the best compact super zooms:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... ndex.shtml

And here's a link to some of TZ60 albums in Picasa, which should give you a comparison with what you're getting with the TZ5. One is of a few bugs and plants, which look quite pretty, and the other is a set of warts and all examples. They won't be of the quality of the pictures you'll get from the majority of the cameras suggested here, but you can use them as a baseline for a compact jack of all trades camera

https://picasaweb.google.com/PenneyThom ... directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/PenneyThom ... directlink

I Agree with Californaman. So many choices - take care, it can start to absorb your every waking moment.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I do tend to get a little obsessed with tech at times... :oops: :lol:

Back