Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GPS handheld with public footpaths etc

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
hi everyone

Since having the Cali we’ve really found ourselves outdoors more and enjoying lovely footpath, coastpath walks etc.

We don’t own any OS maps and tend to rely on walking websites etc on our phones combined with a bit of google maps.

Yes, really poor form and WILL get us in trouble at some point.

I wondered what kind of devices are out there to help us guide our way? I own a Garmin Fenix 5 Watch but not the one with maps (don’t know if you can add them?). Wondering about a dedicated waterproof GPS with decent maps (OS or other walking maps?). Ideally one that can plot trails etc. Clearly looking for decent battery life and no reliance on a 3G/4G signal and decent GPS accuracy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I use ViewRanger, it works on either Android or iOS. You have a choice of maps, OS Landranger or Explorer, Open Maps, satellite etc and these can be downloaded in advance so you don’t need a 3G/4g signal.

The program is free, as are all the maps except OS. You can buy credits to download sections of the OS maps, buy areas such as National Parks, or pay a subscription to use them all. OS road maps are free also.

I bought the National Parks in the days of the Nokia N95 and have been able to carry the licence through to the latest iPhone.

I paid quite a lot of money some time ago for a dedicated Garmin GPS with OS maps and it wasn’t a patch on ViewRanger on a smartphone. While the phone may not be waterproof you can always stick it in a plastic sandwich bag, or a dedicated pouch. You can also buy a cheap Android phone to run it on for less than half the price of a dedicated GPS!

The program also works on a tablet, and routes etc can be synchronised, great for planning on the big screen - see below.

052A0D0A-6AEC-4D10-BA95-5CDAD4C982EB.png

I've used a lot of different hand-held GPS with various map datasets in various parts of the world (the Garmin Map60 series is pretty bomb-proof) but for general UK walking use these days I just use the Ordnance Survey app on my Android phone. You can then view either the 50k or 25k map series which of course has all footpaths etc. You pay the OS subscription which is about 20 quid a year, great value.

If I go into upland areas I would never rely on the phone/GPS alone but ensure I have the relevant area printed out also. With the OS maps subscription you can do that from your PC before you go.

The Maverick app on Android has the OS maps, it's $9.95 but well worth it. It stores the maps locally as well once you've looked at a particular area.

Screenshot_20180726-192223.png

hi everyone

Since having the Cali we’ve really found ourselves outdoors more and enjoying lovely footpath, coastpath walks etc.

We don’t own any OS maps and tend to rely on walking websites etc on our phones combined with a bit of google maps.

Yes, really poor form and WILL get us in trouble at some point.

I wondered what kind of devices are out there to help us guide our way? I own a Garmin Fenix 5 Watch but not the one with maps (don’t know if you can add them?). Wondering about a dedicated waterproof GPS with decent maps (OS or other walking maps?). Ideally one that can plot trails etc. Clearly looking for decent battery life and no reliance on a 3G/4G signal and decent GPS accuracy.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Teasi SatNav, for cycling / walking / canoeing etc.
Uses cycle and walkways as a priority.

Sold on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...end&sprefix=Teasi+,aps,197&crid=1138BCGCOW0XH

The trouble with most (all?) of the free or very low cost apps out there is that they use various hacks and work-rounds to access OS mapping tiles, and when OS feel inclined they close the door on that. For example Maverick used to access the OS 25k maps via the Bing Maps using a hacked API but then OS shut that down so (I think) you can now only get the 50k tiles on Maverick.

Unsurprisingly, OS aren't going to allow a situation to persist where third-party app providers are free riding on OS's own data assets.

A lot of apps offer OpenStreetMap (OSM) mapping, which as the name suggests is free/open source. While I have massive regard for the marvellous OSM project, OSM mapping does not have an elevation layer (ie contours)** so is of limited use for walking in the UK. Well okay, it would be good for Lincolnshire!

(** Okay, it's true that some clever geeks have enhanced some OSM mapping with contour layers generated from coarse-grade elevation datasets like SRTM (look it up to see something the good ole USA gave the world, for free). But I wouldn't fully trust it if I was trying to get down from Glyder Fawr in the mist. But then I wouldn't trust any app for that, I wouldn't go there without a paper map.)

The trouble with most (all?) of the free or very low cost apps out there is that they use various hacks and work-rounds to access OS mapping tiles, and when OS feel inclined they close the door on that. For example Maverick used to access the OS 25k maps via the Bing Maps using a hacked API but then OS shut that down so (I think) you can now only get the 50k tiles on Maverick.

They must have found another supplier - it still works on my phone.

+1 for ViewRanger. Excellent product.

I have Viewranger(very good) & a Garmin Oregon with Mapping for serious stuff on the mountains.
Also always but always take a paper map & a compass and practice their use.

I use a garmin GPS. doesn't rely on.phone signals. also battery is aa so just take spare batteries. shows walking routes with an sd card right down to a few metres. not sure about the phone apps as when signal fails your done. and I think phone signal is getting worse rather than better. you need GPS rather than 4g to guarantee your location. we walk alot and in clumber park Google maps is great. on helvelyn it's useless. also no subscription once bought.

I use a garmin GPS. doesn't rely on.phone signals.

The apps mentioned above also don’t rely on phone signals. You download the map to your phone, and then just use GPS. Saves battery as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Garmin’s Oregon is a good waterproof unit, I have an old 450t that is still going strong after years of abuse.

The apps mentioned above also don’t rely on phone signals. You download the map to your phone, and then just use GPS. Saves battery as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I never knew that. top man

Buy a second hand Garmin Montana, can be had for under 100€. You have a waterproof unit with long battery life and you can even run it off AA betteries as well.

You cannot beat a proper good old fashioned ' Exploer' OS map and a compass. The explorer ones are for walkers/ cyclists mainly as they are so detailed.

No battery worries, no lost GPS, waterpoof in a pouch or laminated (active map), more fun, more skillful, see the bigger picture (no zooming in or out needed), no sun glare, doesn't crack when you drop it, and of course, no emails popping through or facebook status updates when your with your own thoughts or friends and family somewhere beautiful.

Whilst I have never specifically used it for planning a route, we have used Locus maps on an oldish Android phone and downloaded the maps from openandromaps.org, this implementation of the OSM does have contours on them. It shows all the usual things like footpaths, but also includes things like the pistes and lifts in ski resorts.
I regularly use this app for recording tracks when skiing, cycling or walking.

The maps are downloadable for offline use, they can be shared with other apps, so my phone has Locus Maps for route recording on walks, cycles etc, and C:Geo for geocaching, and it currently has maps for UK, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Faroes, Iceland. The maps have great detail in them and when you zoom in it will often not only show an icon e.g. supermarket shopping trolley symbol, but also the shop name.

I actually have the Pro version of Locus maps (currently €7.50) which is advert free, Openandromaps and C:Geo are free.

Worth a look on the websites for more info, and possibly a try for next to nothing.
http://www.locusmap.eu/
http://www.locusmap.eu/
http://www.cgeo.org/

Just had an email from ViewRanger, free 7 day trial of OS maps
Nothing special, you can get a free 7-day trail on OS maps from OS itself on their site... We used that during our week in the Lake District :thumb

For those interested in hiking in Norway: the Norwegian OS has all the country's 1:50.000 topographical maps available fro free for use with mapping apps. See this link.
Only available in Norwegian, the link to 'English' leads you to a different environment, not this page in English. But it is self explanatory: down the page are maps for download in Mr SID format listed per province.

I've used a Memory Map adventurer 2800 GPS unit for years. There are newer versions now that are basically ruggedized android smartphones - you can get all of the UK in 1:25,000 on one. Not a cheap option though.

I've also loaded all my 1:25,000 maps onto my Android smartphone with the Memory Map app so I always have it in my pocket.

Looking at their website, mapping price for the whole UK at 1:50,000 is £65 and 1:25,000 is £175. You get 5 licences so can put in on your laptop or tablet as well as phone or dedicated GPS device.

Some good deals on os maps and Garmin gps units over at blacks.co.uk. Check them out. Nothing beats a good handheld unit with 1:50000 maps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We just use Maps.me on one of our phones or tablets.

Maps sit on the device, so there's no usage of your data allowance. As per a previous conversation, you don't get the contours but you do get an accurate position on the map and can see the paths. So for serious hikers who love a big map hanging round their necks, probably not cool enough but for the average hiker good enough - and free.

We've used maps.me all over the world. It's a great aid to make sure you are on the right road/path and even for planning hikes when you don't necessarily have a local map.

I use Back Country Navigator on my Android phone - it works well with the free OS map tiles via Bing, but, as pointed out upthread, they could remove this at any point. Plus these are quite low-res bitmaps, rather than vector, which is what the 'proper' mapping solutions use... so I might investigate the OS app.

(When I first looked at the OS app on Play, quite a while back, it was not very well rated at all by users - very expensive, and unreliable - it sounds like they have made some big improvements since then.)

Ahh, having re-checked on Google Play, it's clearly ViewRanger I need - the reviews for the OS app are still mostly dreadful!

Back