Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California v T5 conversions

It's interesting to note the converters (particularly the smaller ones) go on extensively about the quantity and quality of insulation going into their vans, then you realise the Cali has none! Obviously not a problem with the built in parking heater, but still odd there is zero insulation. My Westy T4 Cali made a token effort.

It's interesting to note the converters (particularly the smaller ones) go on extensively about the quantity and quality of insulation going into their vans, then you realise the Cali has none! Obviously not a problem with the built in parking heater, but still odd there is zero insulation. My Westy T4 Cali made a token effort.
But there is a form of insulation, just as you have in a house, a cavity between the vehicle wall and the interior trim panel. At least any condensation that gets into that space can also get out easily.

Ironically, as someone with a high spec but sparse conversion, it's VW I'm having "discussions" with regarding my still broken windscreen. You pays your money & takes your choice, it matters not one bit to anyone else. (-:

I have owned a few reimo conversions over the years on t4s and love them....i was tempted before buying another Cali to get a local converter who used to work for reimo to convert my 15plate Kombi.
By the time I added everything up conversion and what my Kombi stood me at It was coming in around 37k .not bad for a reimo and these things are good quality well made conversions that hold money well. ....the issue I had was the worry that it would not be done to the standard I expected and wanted after all it’s man made.and still a lot of money...in the past I have had a few issues with quality of workmanship on conversions and I didn’t want the hassles ...another Cali was my Choice and with easy resale a good choice I think...no regrets

Yes, puzzled me that no insulation in Cali but 'heat loss cost' is negligible and having used in minus 5 temps in Winter, as long as a bit of background heat (say heater on 1 which uses next to no diesel) and a bit of common sense re ventilation i.e. windows slightly opened or roof up, I have never noticed any lingering moisture at back of cupboards etc. It all seems to get out quickly and no insulation material to get damp and mouldy from inevitable trapped moisture.

Hi,

I'm sure this is a regular topic so apologies if already answered many times over but...

I had a T5 Transporter conversion on a 2012 plate and pretty high spec. I loved it but sold because of a relationship break up and the memories associated with that specific van.

I now have my nose proverbially pressed against the window at Californias. Clearly it's a matter of personal taste but can anyone highlight the major differences? I guess there's so many T5 conversions that this may be a daft question.

I suppose with a California, you get some peace of mind in respect of quality of fixtures and of warranty. Are there any obvious other reasons why a California trumps a quality T5 conversion?

I understand most have a built in heater but I'm wondering how a solar conversion might work on a Call as I'd want to off grid quite a bit. Is the leisure battery compartment roomy? I'd like the most powerful battery I can fit in there.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In addition to all reasons normally quoted like factory warranty covering whole van including camping, residuals, forum support (!), spares/accessories, I learned from factory visit that all openings are formed and whole body then painted before the camping conversion so base vehicle is as 'purpose ready' as you can get, nothing cut after. Doesn't stop the separate aluminium roof from oxidising at edges under the rubber strip within couple years though ;) Re fragility, dry silicon spray on cupboard, window and door runners (some use beeswax) prevents forced damage :) ... nothing perfect in life but the goods outweigh the bads.

In addition to all reasons normally quoted like factory warranty covering whole van including camping, residuals, forum support (!), spares/accessories, I learned from factory visit that all openings are formed and whole body then painted before the camping conversion so base vehicle is as 'purpose ready' as you can get, nothing cut after. Doesn't stop the separate aluminium roof from oxidising at edges under the rubber strip within couple years though ;) Re fragility, dry silicon spray on cupboard, window and door runners (some use beeswax) prevents forced damage :) ... nothing perfect in life but the goods outweigh the bads.

Having said all that I like the Jerba roof tent ideas, unzips, midgie proof etc!

I havent found the beach to be fragile at all, quite the opposite.
Thats good to hear. Ive ordered a beach!! As it based on a proper workhourse van, suppose it would and should be!

For me, the issue was crystallised by a dealer showing us a few conversions and one Cali. He left the Cali till last and gave us a warning: “once you’ve properly looked at a Cali, a conversion will always be second best”.

Cali is registered as a car whereas I believe a conversion is a van so has speed restrictions over a cali

Not so. If the V5C has a body type of 'Motor Caravan' which can be achieved on any conversion that complies with the DVLA Motor Caravan fitments. Which by the way a Cali Beach does not but has slipped through the DVLA net (yet).

I’ve yet to see a conversion that’s anywhere near as good as a California.
There are a couple of good guys converting, but there are more bad. I have a few friends with converted vans, not cheap either. Couple in excess of £30k and I honestly think they are dreadful...!!!
Tired vans, poor workmanship and cheap materials.

Some of the roofs...
Blimey, cut and shunt springs to mind.
I’ve converted a couple of vans myself over the years and did a far far better job than some of these so called conversion companies.

California all day long for me.
Just wish they made a manual roof version.

There are a couple of good guys converting, but there are more bad. I have a few friends with converted vans, not cheap either. Couple in excess of £30k and I honestly think they are dreadful...!!!

Some of the roofs...
I’ve converted a couple of vans myself over the years and did a far far better job than some of these so called conversion companies.

Some of the roofs...

they do make a manual roof version its called a california coast but i dont think you can get it in the UK its available in Ireland

The Cali’s upstairs bed seems much wider.....it’s sprung, although still needs a topper...swivelling driver and passenger seats.....blinds....it all fits together so well....

We have only just finished the long process of buying our Cali.
As long time owners of a T2 bay, no time spent deciding if a camper was for us, but simply deciding what - conversion or cali!
There are some great conversions available, and more than once had thought we had found our next adventure.
And then came out 'epiphany' - a friend with a lovely Bilbo T5 said in passing, that for him, the biggest advantage of vw's own was that it had always been designed, and used in a domestic environment - most conversions having donor vehicles of unknown history of use (misuse?). We have a very large and we'll renowned converter near us, and the next time I stopped, I looked into the nooks and crannies, and whilst the conversion is all spangly new, tell tale.signs of builders dust etc. elsewhere.
We were not looking for brand new, and of course this was also possible from converters, so for us decision made - Cali - and so far, we love it .

Hi,

I'm sure this is a regular topic so apologies if already answered many times over but...

I had a T5 Transporter conversion on a 2012 plate and pretty high spec. I loved it but sold because of a relationship break up and the memories associated with that specific van.

I now have my nose proverbially pressed against the window at Californias. Clearly it's a matter of personal taste but can anyone highlight the major differences? I guess there's so many T5 conversions that this may be a daft question.

I suppose with a California, you get some peace of mind in respect of quality of fixtures and of warranty. Are there any obvious other reasons why a California trumps a quality T5 conversion?

I understand most have a built in heater but I'm wondering how a solar conversion might work on a Call as I'd want to off grid quite a bit. Is the leisure battery compartment roomy? I'd like the most powerful battery I can fit in there.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I think it may depend on what you want a van for. Years ago we had a T4 which we had a floor with tracks fitted and rook and roll bench seat. Wooden box over the wheel to hold an extension for a bed. I made curtains for the windows, we had ones put in the rear which with the curtains made it a camper for the toll on the Severn bridge. We used it to camp and as a van. It got old.

I missed my van. We now have a beech which as chosen on ability to take out seats and use as a van and on price. It is no so easy to use as a van as the inside needs more care and the moulding reduces the clearance height. It was more difficult to get the motorbike in.

We did look at base vans before we brought the California but the California had better sound deadening.
Also it was there ready to use, too old to be bothered with doing another conversion. Although I am adding little touches.

Fitting a tow bar to a van may be cheaper than to California.

Last edited: