Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Rattle

Taff Tenor

Taff Tenor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all and greetings from Macc!

Me and Mrs Taff T have been looking for some time now and very close to purchasing a used Das Welt Auto approved 2018 model less than 6 months old and with only a few K on the clock. We've test driven it a couple of times and have been struck by the fact that for an expensive item it does have some rattles that are a source of concern, if not annoyance! The dealership sales rep says we should expect this given all the components involved and has repeated that it's down to 'flexing' within the body work?...but I remain to be convinced. I stipulated that I did expect the dealership to crawl all over it and identify/sort the components causing the noises some time ago and am about to test drive it again for the final time tomorrow when it's make or break as if not happy, we will be walking away and starting our search again (hope not). At that point, I have to say, the 'tune' changed somewhat.

I have driven a new one before but to be honest, probably didn't pay enough attention as that was merely a quick look-see whereas this one would be ours. Am I being too fussy here, or should I expect a pretty smooth and quiet drive from a factory built and specced vehicle with such a reputation?

Any advice would be very welcome as we do feel like babes in the wood right now!

Cheers Taff T

They do rattle. But they shouldn't. If it has an Awning on then it's probably that. I never did get to solve the rattle on my Awning. Also could be a number of things like the tables. Not clipped in or missing some pads in the door. Bang the Awning when stationary with your hand. See if it's that. If so get them to swap it. I'm assuming it's empty of camping stuff like beer in the fridge and bottle openers in the drawer. Good luck.

Welcome , any campervan or van that contains that much stuff will give rattle-noises . But as said by @flying banana , some rattles are the cause of errors made by the user...

My awning rattles and needs winding in a fraction of a turn every now and again to stop it. My small underseat drawer rattled from new and went back to the dealers to be fixed. The large one rattles too if it’s empty (I put camping mat in the bottom of it and permanently keep some odds and ends in there). The loudest rattle now is the fridge thermometer...

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

The kitchen table on an Ocean/SE rattles like crazy as they are only locked in the stowed position adjacent the hinge by a flimsy plastic catch, leaving the mass of the depending lower 3/4 of the table free to move. Stuff a tea towel or something either behind the table to wedge it against the seat or between the seat and the table. Haven’t worked out which is best. Also the tap rattles on the glass worktop if not pushed down fully. The awning also rattles but that’s cured by tightening v tight with the winder crank.

they can a do rattle well our does, use it and another one will pop up, I can stop all our rattles but it is a camper van and you move things so sort one and you cause another one.
some of our rattles. Most are items packed in rattling or something not shut right. You have been testing an empty van which I would expect has rattles as it is empty.
  • table rattle if not clicked in right.
  • sick/hob lid - sometimes as not clicked down fully - or little plastic pad has come off.
  • fridge lid - ditto
  • tap -tapping on hob lid as not pushed down fully or tapping on the kettle in the sink.
  • awning rattle - worked loose or pads come off.
  • pots and pans rattle - not pack quite right
  • knives and forks - ditto
  • items in the fridge moving.
  • the table in door rattle no clipped in fully.

The awning also rattles but that’s cured by tightening v tight with the winder crank.
take care not to strip the plastic gears

The kitchen table on an Ocean/SE rattles like crazy as they are only locked in the stowed position adjacent the hinge by a flimsy plastic catch, leaving the mass of the depending lower 3/4 of the table free to move. Stuff a tea towel or something either behind the table to wedge it against the seat or between the seat and the table. Haven’t worked out which is best. Also the tap rattles on the glass worktop if not pushed down fully. The awning also rattles but that’s cured by tightening v tight with the winder crank.
Not quit correct. There should be a slide clip/catch that holds the bottom of the kitchen table, but you need to push the table towards the kitchen unit as you slide it into its storage position. There should be no need for a towel or anything else to stop the table rattling, just make sure it is stored properly.

Welcome to the forum Just remember it is a van

I'll have a tenner on it being the sliding table not locked away properly, as described above.

Think they all rattle. The two new T6 Cali’s I test drove both had many rattles. Ended up with a T5 with even more but soon tracked them all down and fixed the irritations with an assortment felt pads and foam draft excluder. If the van is just what you want and at a good price then don’t let the nature of the beast put you off. Some time and a few felt pads really can bring satisfaction when the pot holes strike.

they can a do rattle well our does, use it and another one will pop up, I can stop all our rattles but it is a camper van and you move things so sort one and you cause another one.
some of our rattles. Most are items packed in rattling or something not shut right. You have been testing an empty van which I would expect has rattles as it is empty.
  • table rattle if not clicked in right.
  • sick/hob lid - sometimes as not clicked down fully - or little plastic pad has come off.
  • fridge lid - ditto
  • tap -tapping on hob lid as not pushed down fully or tapping on the kettle in the sink.
  • awning rattle - worked loose or pads come off.
  • pots and pans rattle - not pack quite right
  • knives and forks - ditto
  • items in the fridge moving.
  • the table in door rattle no clipped in fully.
Shouldn't be full of pots and pans from the dealer. If it is take it. Those pans cost a fortune

I have a 2015 SE and whilst smooth and comfortable on motorways & A roads it's like a bag of spanners at low speeds and on poor quality local roads.
I don't think much has changed in the T6.

For me the only thing I haven't been able to solve is a loud clatter from the rear seat base which I think is due to some play in the mechanism that holds it to the rail.

If buying again I would definitely check this before buying as whilst most rattles are fairly cheaply and easily resolved (felt pads etc) the seat base is only available as a complete unit at £1100!

I can replicate the sound by pushing back & forth on the top of the backrest so well worth checking before you buy as the dealer should replace on warranty if it's an issue.

Recently bought a 2011 SE and just de-rattled it. Was fun actually, tracking them all down. Silicon spray and felt pads work wonders. It still creaks a bit, but I think that is down to chassis flex. Pots and pans still rattle, but in a comforting way lol

Welcome Taff T

You do not say if it’s a Ocean or Beach, Beach has less to rattle, as said by several above. Is there anything specific which you can identify?

Good idea to have someone sitting in the rear when test driving to see if the particular rattles can be tracked down to a particular area for further investigation.

My Beach does not rattle internally, the awning sometimes can make an audible rattle which I can hear only with the window open.

The sliding door can sometimes rattle, which is hard to identify where it’s coming from, replacement of the female guide part located on the B pillar fixes it, some have reported this on new vehicles!

Pull down Blinds, not fully pushed home, shelves, work tops, tables etc all have the ability to cause annoying rattles which can be surprisingly hard to identify.

Ultimately you are committing to spend a relatively large sum of money, speak to the dealer and explain what you need them to do and what you expect and give them the chance to fix it, similarly ask to drive another similar van to see if it is the same rattles are present.

Everyone’s rattle threshold is different, I know from experience that even a small rattle can be very distracting. Yes you can probably hunt then down, I would be asking the dealer to take it seriously or I would be looking at the alternatives and comparisons of other vehicles.

Good luck in whatever you decide

My month old Beach has / had (hopefully) a couple of annoying noises.

1) A squeaking noise coming from the clear plastic layer in front of the instrument dials. It stopped when I pressed the middle of it. I seem to have fixed it by using it up a bit with my fingers. Maybe it's better located in it's clips now although it didn't feel like it moved much.

2) A rattling from the sliding door, no. 1 suspect right now is the blind as I've pulled it down 1cm or so and I've not heard it for a few days now.

It's been great the past few days with both these noises seemingly gone :)

I don't have a rattle, I have a husband.... "Jim! Sort it"

Usually a lot of rattle comes from the passenger seat. Into your left ear

Thanks for all the advice guys...It’s an Ocean by the way looking forward now to doing some detective work tomorrow- the table certainly seems to have been a major source in s couple we’ve driven and either due to a missing clip or not being stowed properly. The sink top another and will be looking at that. Also noticed some around the driver’s door (trim or awning or both) but some good tips here and will certainly be looking closely at and unfurling the awning! We’ve been made to feel very welcome by VWCC and overwhelmed with tips and tricks so many think to all - keep you all posted - Taff T

Upper arm on the sliding side door "rattles" against the guide rail. I haven't attempted to adjust mine yet as it seems it needs to rest on the outer guide face. The arm vibrates causing the plastic wheel to dry rub the channel.

Vasoline seems to last one short drive as the "movement" clears the product.

Front seat arm rests can rattle too, at least they have on both of my calis. Drop them down to the horizontal position to eliminate.

My table doesn’t rattle, but must be stowed a certain way.

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Back