Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California lining vs carpet lining

Tom1000

Tom1000

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi,

First, I have to admit I don't have a California and am not planning on getting one but don't hold that against me! I've got a panel van which I'll be getting converted and wondering if anyone who has had both a Cali and a conversion could help with a question about lining.

What are the advantages / disadvantages to a California style plastic/vinyl lining as compared to the carpet lining used in most conversions?

A few companies offer a similar style lining to the Cali and I'm wondering which is best.

Thanks for any help,

Tom

To me it's aesthetics, not efficiency.

A conversion can be a bland, inhospitable place, long on efficiency but short on warmth.

I like to feel warm and fluffy in my home on 4 wheels. Plastic vinyl flooring does not do it for me. Bright, warm carpets do.

For me not having carpet on the walls was a factor in going for a Cali (Beach) over converted panel van. The plastic/vinyl trim panels give a much more OEM look and I would think are easier to keep clean than carpet. I don't have personal experience of a carpet lined conversion but suspect the reason its so common on conversions is that its an easy material to mold around the complex curves & contours of the interior.
I remember there was a company doing aftermarket trim panels for the T4 but didn't realise they were available for the T5. A potential disadvantage with trim panels is that they are a source of creaks & squeaks if not fitted properly.
Good luck with the conversion whatever you decide to go with.

What are the advantages / disadvantages to a California style plastic/vinyl lining as compared to the carpet lining used in most conversions?
Hi Tom, good luck with the conversion.

For me, the plastic lining looks much more professional than the usual grey carpet stuck to the walls. Have a look at a Cali and compare, for instance, the internal finish on the rear side door with that on a panel van.

I did check out other conversions, particularly the Ford Terrier, before going for our second California. As Jen says, it was deciding factor for me also in choosing the Cali over the others (and all a similar price).

If you can achieve a similar finish on your conversion it will be worth it in the long term.

Hi Tom, I too am a bit of an impostor on here not owning a Cali but a selfbuild LWB high-top. I will agree with some comments above about floor coverings and can see the points about plastic trims instead of carpet lining. However cost and the ability to fit with your conversion will be the deciding factors in the end.
For an example of what I have achieved with my previous conversion have a look at the details on here Sales . That vehicle was built on a 140ps LWB T5 Window van bought new to convert, it's now sold.
Sorry Cali owners, the California is too small for us. If only they had put bthe LWB High Top into production.

Rod

Looks very nice Rod, unfortunately, like most people, I don't have the ability, time or facilities to build something like that myself, so it has to be off the peg for me. It would give me a lot of satisfaction if I was able to.

I agree it would be nice if the Cali was a little longer, but I've no wish for a high top and I don't think it suits the T5, unlike the Fiat derivatives which do.

BTW, we share some similar "ancestry", having had a Devon bay window and a wedge Moonraker. Our first was a splittie of 1964 vintage!

Colin

Thanks for the replies, hadn't thought about the potential for creaking. My main thoughts were longevity probably being better with plastic/vinyl, carpet holding smells, and condensation on the plastic lining. So do California owners find they get condensation on the plastic lining after a nights sleep or cooking?

We never have; I would think there is insulation under the plastic.

As its always my job to do the basic housekeeping when camping I find the vinyl floor very easy to keep clean, easy to brush out the sand/dirt that inevitably finds its way in however careful you are with shoes etc. Any spillages easily wiped up. We also use a couple of washable mats which are easy to take out and brush down. This all becomes more relevant on longer trips. Same goes for the plastic trim throughout the living/cooking area. You will get condensation while cooking if you don't crack open at least one of the sliding windows but it tends to form on cold areas first like the windows and limited but exposed metal areas rather than the warmer plastic trim. For us this was a major decision point in choosing a California over a conversion, the carpet up the walls just doesn't have the same quality feel, but that is only my opinion. Good luck with your build I'm sure you will end up with exactly what you want and enjoy many happy camping days.

As its always my job to do the basic housekeeping when camping I find the vinyl floor very easy to keep clean, easy to brush out the sand/dirt that inevitably finds its way in however careful you are with shoes etc. Any spillages easily wiped up. We also use a couple of washable mats which are easy to take out and brush down. This all becomes more relevant on longer trips. Same goes for the plastic trim throughout the living/cooking area. You will get condensation while cooking if you don't crack open at least one of the sliding windows but it tends to form on cold areas first like the windows and limited but exposed metal areas rather than the warmer plastic trim. For us this was a major decision point in choosing a California over a conversion, the carpet up the walls just doesn't have the same quality feel, but that is only my opinion. Good luck with your build I'm sure you will end up with exactly what you want and enjoy many happy camping days.
I hope the OP has finished by now, 8 yrs on.

Back