Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali still the best

Hi Alan

I've just bought a one owner 2006 lhd 130 se. From sunny Germany the exchange rate was favourable so took the leap. I'll keep this one now see how I get on with it before taking the leap for a brand new one.

Mike.

I was seriously considering a left hooker when we started looking. We tend to holiday in Europe so it seemed to make sense to me.

But it proved more difficult that I though persuading 'the boss' this was a good idea. So a UK van it was.
I hope you will get as much enjoyment out of your van as we have out of ours.

Alan

Uberbus were my favoured converter as they are similar to the California. They are more flexible than VW and can cater for individual requirements a lot easier. They do now do a sliding seat conversion on the RIB seat/bed.
I went for a Cali as I could not afford a new Uberbus or Cali.
Hi, if you like the uberbus ones have a look at www.m-d-g.co.UK southern counties motorhomes in ferndown Dorset, they have a urberbus\cali in natural grey, very nice and if the budget doesn't stretch to the Cali then maybe the urberbus one would do?

We started on the conversion, auto sleeper route and then got bitten by the Cali bug..lovin it :bananadance

As in all areas of life , size matters! The Well house Terrier is bigger in every dimension - over 2m tall and wider and longer than the Cali.This was one of the main reasons we decided to go with the Cali.

It's pretty marginal when you put the two next to each other and you certainly don't notice any size difference driving it. The only size factor I think would be a differentiator would be the extra height if you need to get under 2m barriers.

It's pretty marginal when you put the two next to each other and you certainly don't notice any size difference driving it. The only size factor I think would be a differentiator would be the extra height if you need to get under 2m barriers.

It may seem marginal but where we live, that extra 3 or 4 inches of width makes a difference when it comes to driving down narrow lanes and parking in tight car park spaces.

I think the Cali is actually slightly wider than the Ford in the normal mirrors out position.

Thank you Alan I really hope that will be the case too.
I'm amazed at the difference of quality in the dash and the extras you get too. Air con fed to the glove box the cubby holes are all flocked too. Well worh the lhd tag.
Prices in the UK are not too much different either.

Mike

I think the Cali is actually slightly wider than the Ford in the normal mirrors out position.

You obviously have a better view here, being able to see them both side-by-side. I only had the official figures to go on, which show that the Cali is smaller in all dimensions although admittedly it's very close with mirrors out.

Some of it might hinge on individual driving position when it comes to the width with exterior mirrors?

Another advantage for me which hasn't been mentioned with the UK Cali is the empty space behind the driver's seat. At 6'4" I struggle with many conversions as they don't allow the driver's seat to go right back and recline due to the positioning of the kitchen units. The Cali beds are also longer than many. So although I need a bed extension it doesn't need to be so long.

Yes, I agree. It's definitely nice to have nothing behind the drivers seat due to the Cali being the "wrong way around".

I have a Jerba...and love it!
Everyone to their own, but so far no rattles, solidly made, great backup from Simon, loved to chose my colours:woodwork, curtains (yes, old fashioned but modern twist..I love them), and colour of leather...almost too much choice!
Love the Cali forum though and was made so welcome at Scottish meet last weekend. I just think everyone loves their 'baby'...great fun to swap tales and join in with the fellowship of being a VW owner!

I have a Jerba...and love it!
Everyone to their own, but so far no rattles, solidly made, great backup from Simon, loved to chose my colours:woodwork, curtains (yes, old fashioned but modern twist..I love them), and colour of leather...almost too much choice!
Love the Cali forum though and was made so welcome at Scottish meet last weekend. I just think everyone loves their 'baby'...great fun to swap tales and join in with the fellowship of being a VW owner!
I was initially going to buy a Jerba then got interested in Uberbus and Rolling homes. Eventually bought a good used Cali! I am very happy with it.

Back