Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California hunting roof dilemma

monster-mash

monster-mash

Vehicle
N/A
Hi this is my first post on here so forgive me if I posted into the wrong section. We have been looking to upgrade from our lovely T5 camper convert to a full on used California, we have looked a a couple so far with the best being today however I wasn't happy with the roof as this is one of my detailed scrutiny areas following the buckled/kinked roof stories I have heard about. Now I am not sure how to explain this so here we go - when looking from back to front or front to back along the side of the roof or some folk call the clam shell there is a small bulge/ripple worse near to the rubber seal fading out as the panel folds to the roof top. This is on both sides approx where the scissor hinges are located, its difficult to see however it can be seen in the sunshine (now i know its there).
My question is does this sound like the result of the roof getting stuck at some point on the return and the rams have carried on trying to close the roof?
Can it be repaired simply with right amount of pressure with experienced hands?
Bottom line is its very small and I may have exaggerated to emphasize the subject also noted that the roof lines up perfect on the front and sits nice all round when lowered i suppose if I am being picky you perhaps could slide a couple of sheets of A4 paper under the rear corners but I am being picky I think.
Please let me know your thoughts and any pics you may have as what to look for.
Thanks

It sounds as though at some stage the roof has been closed onto an obstruction.

A small rubber grommet fell out of the scissor mechanism on ours some time ago. I didn't spot it and when I closed the roof, Sod's law dictated that it was right under the roof in pretty much the place you mention. When I closed the roof, it left a little bend on one side. The roof closed and sealer properly but the bulge was annoying. When my van went in for the roof corrosion warranty repair, AB Crush also sorted out this bend/kink for me for the princely sum of £192. You would never know it was there..

Thanks for the replys chaps so at worse it can be repaird with expierienced hands. :thumb

Back