Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California delivered ... in the wrong colour

Must admit the red and black trim looks really smart to me, can you wait for a grey?
Thank you for your reaction; it does look good: the cherry red with the shiny black. We can wait, what's another 3 or 4 months and we still have our T4 westfalia. I'm just torn between the two colours, just like when we ordered 8 months ago, but then we were able to make the reasonable choice for the ascot grey. Apparently not now.

Go for Cherry Red. We’ve had a Salsa Red Cali for over seven years, been all around Europe in it and get constantly noticed in campsites because it’s a bit of a standout compared to all the big whites and less exotic coloured vans. Amongst others we’ve had a guy in Croatia rush up to us shouting ‘bellissima’ and a Chinese guy in Finland insisting to see inside because he thought it looked so good. There’s an obvious road safety advantage in driving a vehicle that’s a standout. We also get to call it the Van Rouge!

Ruska Weis - Poland
View attachment 75909
Snap! We have had our red van from new and love it and totally agree it stands out from the crowd, we also have travelled Europe they loved the colour in Italy! Go for the red

Go for the red. We have a cherry red 204bhp 4 motion with sport line which puts black side bars and wheels on it. it also has a red dashboard and awning roof. It gets noticed wherever we go. These are fun vehicles and look better retro when in a loud colour. Our previous T6 one was in the 1977 T2 hippy yellow colour with black wheels and bars. Looked great until I wrote it off in Croatia!

So you had to give your dealer your decision today, what did you say?

(I’m hoping you’ve taken the red with extras.)

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
ok, I'm sorry, I'm working from home and it's a busy day at the office ;)
hopefully tonight time to put my thoughts on it after rereading everything.

If you‘re taking this long to decide and you can afford to wait, then it seems like you should hold out for the Ascot Grey

I’d take the red for now- and place a new order for grey. Enjoy the red until the grey one arrives then resell it. Given what prices are like at the moment you’d be pretty likely to recoup your costs - maybe even make a small profit given the add ons they are offering. Win win?

I’d take the red for now- and place a new order for grey. Enjoy the red until the grey one arrives then resell it. Given what prices are like at the moment you’d be pretty likely to recoup your costs - maybe even make a small profit given the add ons they are offering. Win win?
Mel, that's the most sensible posting on this subject. As you say, a possible win win situation. The only problem is, it's put another option into the mix at the last minute, and two options was seeming unsurmountable.

Mel, that's the most sensible posting on this subject. As you say, a possible win win situation. The only problem is, it's put another option into the mix at the last minute, and two options was seeming unsurmountable.
Well thought from Melifornia but not really for us: they want to fully adapt a stock car that has yet to be built but already ordered to our original order form, including the colour. Of course, if I accept the red, they won't order the other one. For me it seems more like a version of their proposal 3: cancel. And then later at a higher price (they're constantly increasing in price) ordering another one, that's not that convincing to me, sorry.
And yes, the two choices are difficult for me but what do you want: I had it difficult 8 months ago and now there is a red one because they did not adjust the colour. Going back to ascot grey is indeed not that easy, so I want to think about it carefully because at the initial choice of the colour, we based it on a sprayed piece of metal in the showroom. An ascot grey appeared a few weeks later in the showroom and it was more convincing. Now there is a cherry red coast delivered and you know: it is about as convincing. But what else is there at the dealer: 3 californias in ascot grey to be delivered ... difficult ;)
Today I am not deciding because I am going to sit down again with the salesperson and his boss. Let's hear what they still have to offer; I already sent an email with some questions but they were rejected.
How's that for a cliffhanger.
At least I don't cancel my order because I have to wait for delivery and order a BMW :veryfunny
Like I said in my first post: I'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a luxury issue but still. I just wanted to get it off my chest and read your thoughts about it and I thank you for that.

ok, I'm sorry, I'm working from home and it's a busy day at the office ;)
hopefully tonight time to put my thoughts on it after rereading everything.
You should definitely go Red but we think you’ve already decided on boring grey

You should definitely go Red but we think you’ve already decided on boring grey
;) :D But: I don't find the ascot grey boring, it even has a sparkle in it but each to his own. I do understand that people find it a dull colour but I have seen several now and... they all look very fine to me. All I can say is, it's not a bold choice, ascot grey... I know. That's why there is one cherry red (two if you count the dealers one) at the dealer and 3 in ascot grey to deliver.
I also like the red and that makes choice so difficult because now say for yourself: has this happened to you yet? You order a california and you think everything carefully over because they are not for free and 8 months later they deliver one in the wrong colour. But it also feels a bit like a second chance. That's why I don't want to make a quick decision about it.

I think we know where this is going. We've ordered an Ascot Grey Coast but in your position, with the choices on offer.... I'd snap up the red with the black pack (looks awesome!). Each to his own though.

I think we know where this is going. We've ordered an Ascot Grey Coast but in your position, with the choices on offer.... I'd snap up the red with the black pack (looks awesome!). Each to his own though.
Thank you for your reaction; it does look awesome.
Well, my homework is over for today and my wife is back with the children from the playground (we are in another lock-down in Belgium and part of that is that the schools are closed, so children are at home). Anyway, we talk about it all the time and it tends to ascot grey but we still have to negotiate with the salesman and especially his boss. If the deal for an ascot grey isn't in order (I know what they offer with the cherry red one), I'll see what we do. I don't feel really happy with what happened, but mistakes happen and it mainly depends on how we will all deal with it.

So not the conclusion today of "The Wrong Colour "as we expected. Maybe to be concluded tomorrow?
I would like to point out, if you read your posts again, you have said more than once, " Red is not for me"
Don't let those few Redists who have bombarded you with propoganda make you lose sight that your posts indicate that in your heart, you want an Ascot Grey one.

Get the dealer at your meeting tomorrow to add maybe the Black Pack to the Ascot Grey, after all said and done he has admitted to the error and you're having to wait for him to correct it!

I totally feel your pain @calibusje, I’d be fuming on principle if ours came in the wrong colour, which it could easily have done as we ordered Candy white and then swapped to Bamboo green.

But i love candy white still, because it looks awesome with black decals and you can wrap it easily, so if that had happened and we got offered enough of a sweetener we might well have taken it.

if you love the red enough and can accept the mistake in terms of it being the easy option for the dealer AND can get enough extras to make that ok for you then it’s a good option.

But if it just doesn’t feel right and the grey is where your heart is then that is the way you’ve got to go.

Both great colours.

Good luck!

So not the conclusion today of "The Wrong Colour "as we expected. Maybe to be concluded tomorrow?
I would like to point out, if you read your posts again, you have said more than once, " Red is not for me"
Don't let those few Redists who have bombarded you with propoganda make you lose sight that your posts indicate that in your heart, you want an Ascot Grey one.

Get the dealer at your meeting tomorrow to add maybe the Black Pack to the Ascot Grey, after all said and done he has admitted to the error and you're having to wait for him to correct it!
Now that WOULD look nice!

Now that WOULD look nice!
Yes and this is one of the proposals that I want to make them because when I saw that black pack, I was almost sold, it looks so cool. So this could also look very good on an ascot grey. I don't know what the outcome will be. I hope to have a conversation soon and to be able to give a definite answer. It is not my intention at all to keep you all dangling. I honestly did not expect that many reactions. Thanks again for that, it's a pleasant read and very interesting.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reaction; it does look good: the cherry red with the shiny black. We can wait, what's another 3 or 4 months and we still have our T4 westfalia. I'm just torn between the two colours, just like when we ordered 8 months ago, but then we were able to make the reasonable choice for the ascot grey. Apparently not now.
The "flat" grey is increasingly popular amongst the "boy racers" in the UK. When I was ordering my 6.1 last August I was told by a motorcycle semi pro racer I work with that the grey was very popular on the motor racing circuit, many team vans were going "flat"grey. We got Starlight Blue in the end.