Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California delivered ... in the wrong colour

Red and black is a great combination and quite rare on the roads. Get some accessories out of them and keep the van. It looks quite sporty but not over the top.
Thanks for the reaction; the shiny black they want to give me if I accept the red. It stops there; Anyway, it looks nice, for me a bit too sporty.

If we have learned anything in the last 12 months. Life is precious and short. Live the dream before life becomes one.
Ask yourself, when you are sat in the Cali, looking at the view, does it really matter what colour it is on the outside!!
Thanks, I certainly think about what you write; life is too short, that's true. For me the colour is important, hence my reflections and possible rejection of the red; we had ordered an ascot grey...
but you make me doubt ;)

If you don’t want the red hold out for the ascot grey. Simple. I get the strong feeling that’s what you want really so go for it. My Cali makes me smile every time I get in it for a trip ......... but I do like the red offer ;)

If you don’t want the red hold out for the ascot grey. Simple. I get the strong feeling that’s what you want really so go for it. My Cali makes me smile every time I get in it for a trip ......... but I do like the red offer ;)
Thanks. Me too ;)

I'am from Belgium and we too ordered a Coast in ascot grey. We ordered in June 2020 with a promised delivery date end February 2021. Now the delivery date is already June 2021 and we are stil waiting, waiting, waiting...... We would be very happy with a cherry red one. Maybe we can change our cars? :)Only, we ordered a very basic coast.

I'am from Belgium and we too ordered a Coast in ascot grey. We ordered in June 2020 with a promised delivery date end February 2021. Now the delivery date is already June 2021 and we are stil waiting, waiting, waiting...... We would be very happy with a cherry red one. Maybe we can change our cars? :)Only, we ordered a very basic coast.
I haven’t heard of a longer wait...and fir a basic coast too. What has been the dealers explanation?

I want to thank you all for your answers and thoughts. The fact that there is now a cherry red california at the dealer felt at first as a disappointment because they had not passed on the changed colour. Now it feels like a second chance to think about that red and my god! have we thought about it o_O Just called the dealer and on Monday I will pass on our decision. A red with the shiny black would be a bold choice for me ... and even not really me. I am curious about what I will pass on on Monday. Even now I still have doubts.
Greetings

I want to thank you all for your answers and thoughts. The fact that there is now a cherry red california at the dealer felt at first as a disappointment because they had not passed on the changed colour. Now it feels like a second chance to think about that red and my god! have we thought about it o_O Just called the dealer and on Monday I will pass on our decision. A red with the shiny black would be a bold choice for me ... and even not really me. I am curious about what I will pass on on Monday. Even now I still have doubts.
Greetings
images.jpg, come and see next week? What a cliffhanger Busje! :Nailbiting

.... Ceci n'est pas un Cliffhanger?? The Red was a herring?
I'm afraid that color finally got to you. o_O
And I warned you so much for all that excitement...

;)

Last edited:
.... Ceci n'est pas un Cliffhanger?? The Red was a herring?
I'm afraid that color finally got to you. o_O
And I warned you so much for all that excitement...

:veryfunny
To be continued, that is. I have to respond tomorrow.

Last edited:
I feel for you. I have ordered a white Ducati; if the dealer said to me, your bike’s here but it’s red, I would walk away. Having said that, the red Cali does look very nice. Good luck.

The comments about the b-pillar and black bar are quite right - made a big difference to the visual “bulk” of my onyx white Ocean
happy you can confirm. it is on my to do list as well. I'll have a go at plastidipping them as soon as it worms up

I had no choice of colour, the £12000discount for an already built pre facelift California Ocean was too good to miss. So I have a Mojave Beige van, a colour I would not have chosen. My choice would have been grey or blue. It’s a lovely van, but after 18 months I don’t love it as much as our previous blue one, colour is very subjective and important.

I love the red. If it were me then I'd keep it, and if I really can't live with the colour in 6 months time then order a new replacement for 2022 in the grey colour. In the meantime, enjoy summer in the red California. You'd be unlikely to lose any money.

It does look good. It might make stealth camping a little more tricky, but that's not a big issue in most circumstances. I've been a fan of red cars for daily use and was disappointed to find that it wasn't on the list of options for my recent Golf GTE. Apart from the undoubted stylishness, other drivers are less likely to drive into red vehicles. It's hard to not notice your presence!

Wrap it. Good for conservation and you can always return to red if the wrap gets boring...

Go for Cherry Red. We’ve had a Salsa Red Cali for over seven years, been all around Europe in it and get constantly noticed in campsites because it’s a bit of a standout compared to all the big whites and less exotic coloured vans. Amongst others we’ve had a guy in Croatia rush up to us shouting ‘bellissima’ and a Chinese guy in Finland insisting to see inside because he thought it looked so good. There’s an obvious road safety advantage in driving a vehicle that’s a standout. We also get to call it the Van Rouge!

Ruska Weis - Poland
466B89F3-213B-48DB-A572-66FF4FC6F261.jpeg

Must admit the red and black trim looks really smart to me, can you wait for a grey?

Fontana Red is our choice for our next van, ascot grey is actually almost white (we have an aversion to white)! When we collected our current blue van there was a red in the showroom and it was instant love♥️. You can’t see the colour from inside . Enjoy

Hellow everyone reading this. Here it comes: we ordered a coast at the end of August 2020 with estimated delivery in May 2021. Delivery was a little earlier, namely last Monday, March 22nd. Nice, I thought when I got the news. However, when checking the invoice that I received via email, I noticed the colour ... cherry red.
Very nice colour and our initial choice but we had changed it (along with some extra options) to ascot grey. When I asked for a new order form to sign with the change, this was not necessary, according to the seller. Everything was passed on according to him. The options are present but the color was 'forgotten'. Hence an order form and an invoice with a red coast on it but with the options included afterwards.
What now, do you think. Yesterday we went to have a look: the cherry red is beautiful, quite exclusive but very 'in your face'; we had expected this, hence our change of colour. Our options, offered by the dealer:
-accept the red one and receive a 'black pack' as compensation (see picture belowe of his own company car, an ocean);
-fully adapt a coast ordered by them but not yet made to our liking (also the colour);
-cancel and return the deposit.
The last option is a no go because then we have no california coast unless we order later a new one but what's the point in that (now about one year waiting time and it will be more expensive).
Option two: having a stock vehicle adjusted before it even being made sounds attractive, but will that run smoothly? They couldn't pass on the changed colour ... For this option I also don't have much time to pass it on: the modified 'stock car' would be delivered at the end of June but I have to be quick. If it work, we have our ascot grey.
Then accept the red one? The last 8 years when we traveled with our T4 westfalia, we always said that if we could buy a new one, a red one was definitely possible because when we saw a red california, we liked it very much. As a campervan I still think this but maybe not as an everyday vehicle (it will be my daily car too). Each to his own choise.
They try to fix the error and that's okay but still i'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a luxury issue but still. I just wanted to get it off my chest and read your thoughts about it.

Good evening
Greetings
Calibusje
Belgium

View attachment 75698
I can completely get your disappointment as we take so long deciding on these options. But I gotta say I think it looks fantastic. I’m biased though. We have the two tone red and white ocean and I love seeing other red VWs. Looks fab! Personally I’d accept their black pack which looks great and get that van. And enjoy! :))