Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Cats - so that we can be PC ( Politically Correct ).

Well done - the first official Cali-cat. I think the best I'll do with ours is if I can snap her skulking underneath.
Unfortunately no longer with us as of yesterday, I had to bury her this morning and was pretty choked :(

She did have a mate, Casper, a chocolate point Siamese (Tanya was a blue point). We lost Casper a couple of years ago so are now catless and dogless (we've had dogs as well, but we were both working most of the time so the cats were easier to look after).

Years ago we took the two cats away with us around Devon and Cornwall, we had a white whale in those days. They were kittens then and I remember them having a mad half hour every evening running up the curtains and the backs of the chairs while I was trying to read Jamaica Inn.

The Cali is obviously too small for any longer spells with a cat but OK for day trips etc :)

Unfortunately no longer with us as of yesterday, I had to bury her this morning and was pretty choked :(

She did have a mate, Casper, a chocolate point Siamese (Tanya was a blue point). We lost Casper a couple of years ago so are now catless and dogless (we've had dogs as well, but we were both working most of the time so the cats were easier to look after).

Years ago we took the two cats away with us around Devon and Cornwall, we had a white whale in those days. They were kittens then and I remember them having a mad half hour every evening running up the curtains and the backs of the chairs while I was trying to read Jamaica Inn.

The Cali is obviously too small for any longer spells with a cat but OK for day trips etc :)
Sorry about your cat. Enjoy the memories and look forward to the next chapter with or without pets. Whatever's right for you.

We had a much loved Seal Point that died recently. Our neighbours cat that moved in with us some years back, because the food was better, is sadly no longer with us either.
We are cat less for the first time in 22 years and I can understand how you feel.

Well we lasted catless until last December, when we were hired by a Bengal called Mia, who will be one later this month. She has now taken possession of the Cali!
AD6595FE-0CDE-43EF-947F-441313F1AE93.jpegAF08AA85-D11C-4DC9-9605-45FBAE8B338D.jpegFCDFD2A1-4354-445A-BFE5-D7D81974BA98.jpegFB82680D-2FC3-47B6-ABAE-66AED95D1471.jpeg

Cats are like Beaches..........

So, we've all read about the trials and tribulations of Cali owners with dogs, which waterproof covers, where does the dog/dogs sleep, cages, leads and ground anchors etc etc etc.
What do Cali owners do with their Feline head of the household when away for weekends or longer?
Our Max started life as a house cat in London. When we inherited him, my son and his new wife emigrated to Australia, Max had never been in a garden and when he discovered the woods and fields beyond the garden hedge he hasn't looked back. He has dried food and a daily pouch. So when away for upto 5 days or so we have a dry food dispenser and water dispenser and he has the run of the living, dining room and study + the utility room where the food, bed and cat flap are. Any longer and he goes to the local cattery who adore him.
So what do you do?

Well we lasted catless until last December, when we were hired by a Bengal called Mia, who will be one later this month. She has now taken possession of the Cali!
View attachment 63969View attachment 63970View attachment 63971View attachment 63972

I dare not let my wife see these photos. We had a cat (ginger moggie reincarnated as @Welsh Gas' boss) who lived to be 18 years old; used to come with us for all U.K. holidays, but looked after by a work colleague when we travelled abroad. He was one in a million and we decided that we couldn't replace him. However, lately we have begun to reconsider and a cat like yours is just the sort we would consider.
Incidentally, we have come across numerous travelling cats, they are quite common amongst the travelling community.

Hi WG, is this cool dude going to accompany you on trips and be a true Cali-Cat?
If not, seems to me it's just a cat.
Barney the Cali-Dog told me to write this. He's a bit discriminatory as he sits in our front room bay window looking at the neighbourhood moggies through the glass. An innocent victim as they sit in the garden poking tongues out and sticking 2 claws up at him!

Last edited:
I'll have to ask Max kindly. I know who's in charge and it definitely isn't me.:thumb
That's the difference between cats and dogs, except for Jack Russells that is (they're not even bothered if they own you or not)! So independent. Love 'em.

Last edited:
Hi WG, is this cool dude going to accompany you on trips and be a true Cali-Cat?
If not, seems to me it's just a cat.
Barney the Cali-Dog told me to write this. He's a bit discriminatory as he sits in our front room bay window looking at the neighbourhood moggies through the glass. An innocent victim as they sit in the garden poking tongues out and sticking 2 claws up at him!
Seeing as he stays out all night now he has the countryside to wander in, No. Wouldn't want to lose him. Winter time might be alright though as he doesn't like the cold and rain. He does wander some distance though as we managed to get him to wear a GPS collar, but he lost it eventually.

Seeing as he stays out all night now he has the countryside to wander in, No. Wouldn't want to lose him. Winter time might be alright though as he doesn't like the cold and rain. He does wander some distance though as we managed to get him to wear a GPS collar, but he lost it eventually.
Cats are so clever, he probably didn't "lose it". ;)

We just lost our 21year old ginger cat a couple of months ago through ill health. We had to hand him over to the vet in the car park due to Covid so we weren't able to be with him as he was put to sleep, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Broke our hearts. On the bright side we can start to do things in our retirement that we couldn't before as we had to nurse him along. Funny I thought this a VW Cali forum, feels like I've just some bereavement therapy.
You're amongst friends here and sometimes it's just nice to have a chat. Sorry for your loss, the happy memories will carry you through.

Trip to the seaside today for Mia. Unfortunately there were so many people and dogs there we were unable to let her out to get acquainted with the gulls, so she just chattered at them through the window :D

Attachments

• 4756137D-532E-4E63-B705-E2AD9D575ED1.jpeg
    4756137D-532E-4E63-B705-E2AD9D575ED1.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 26862B71-BA8C-4B46-B88E-53BC11670555.jpeg
    26862B71-BA8C-4B46-B88E-53BC11670555.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 4FB19002-5A8F-4ED4-8F15-E08A61FB43BB.jpeg
    4FB19002-5A8F-4ED4-8F15-E08A61FB43BB.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 29
Here is our naughty boy..... he loves to sleep out in the van as often as he can, especially when it’s nice and warm with the awning out for a bit of shade. His name is Doogie by the way and being a mixture of short and long hair, he leaves a nice collection of his fur on the seats, but he says he is worth it.

B3BC08EF-B0D0-459B-BF93-FA34AD90C3B6.jpeg

1571C2FE-12CC-44DE-9C2F-033CCC0D0994.jpeg

Back